DLS Iridium or Focal K2p

jaskin

Legendary 10 Years
Hi,

Which of the above speakers are recommended? I need to change my wonky set of Dynaudios and would like to try something else. I sound the Dynaudio 240GT too bright for my taste.
Any idea where I might be able to get them at a reasonable price?
Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

Re: DLS Iridium or Focal K2p

I would go for Iridium... but u need plenty of power to drive the midbass. Previously, Iridium is rated alongside the FOcal Utopia which is a grade up from K2P.

One thing to note... DLS stuff are contract manufactured, while Focal does their own, and is one of the biggest manufacturer...

I have 2 choices of driving the components. I have an Audison 2Ch that has about 135W to each channel or a Phoenix Gold 475Ti that has about 200odd W to each CH. Would really rather use the audison. Any ideas?

I've heard recently two IRidiums ...one driven by genesis amps and one by DLS amps.

the one by genesis amps sounded very weak in midbass and suprisingly the one by DLS amp sounded very very nice... its probably more due to installation than anything else, but according to the owners, u need at least 250rms to get a good performance from the iridiums.

Audison LRx ?

Yeah was think about geting that one. I have the VRx but its the older generation one. 250Rms looks like the PG amp is the way to go unless I buy a LRx 2.500...
Where can I get the iridiums? Any shops to recommend?

How about the Performance range by Seas Lotus? Was recommended by my installer. I think it costs alittle more than the DLS Iridium.

Dynasty quoted me at $900-950 for the iriduims no stock
my installer quoted me 1.2K for seas

your installer is probably HG ? no ?

Get the 4.300 and bridged them. VRx is a good amp....why not use it ?

jaskin said:
Hi,

Which of the above speakers are recommended? I need to change my wonky set of Dynaudios and would like to try something else. I sound the Dynaudio 240GT too bright for my taste.
Any idea where I might be able to get them at a reasonable price?
Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

If Dynaudio 240GT is too bright for you, you can forget about Focal K2P!!! But I am surprised that you said 240GT too bright as it's one of those "warm" speakers, maybe you have installation issues.

jaskin said:
How about the Performance range by Seas Lotus? Was recommended by my installer. I think it costs alittle more than the DLS Iridium.

Dynasty quoted me at $900-950 for the iriduims no stock
my installer quoted me 1.2K for seas

$1.2K for Lotus Performance?? that's expensive, I am sure you can find better price.

I'm actually keen on the DLS. Where can I get them apart from Dynasty? Not too keen on buying from them.

Hi Jaskin,

You're in the same situation that I was a year plus ago. I was mulling over the UR6 vs the IR6 and the K2P just for the heck of it. Both the UR and IRs were almost similar in nature - clean, detailed and natural sounding but a touch laidback - some may like it , others not. Between the 2, the URs seemed more like an all rounder in terms of lapping up every genre of music that I cud throw at it. The IRs however were stellar performers with audiophile and high res recordings and had a much more profound mid bass and overall presentation. In the end, the price difference was the deciding factor. BTW, if you're going with the IR6, do ask for the improved IR6.2i which comes with the die cast basket for the mid units and an improved version of the delectable UR/IR1 tweets. However ..... there also the much raved about Nobelium 6.2 just to make your quest even more interesting.

The K2Ps were excellent performers too - very dynamic, a wee bit warmer than the sexy Swedes, better high end extension and had a mid bass response to die for but the metal TN52 tweets made them somewhat difficult to live with thru some material and over sustained listening periods. As I did not have the necessary amp to tame them then, I gave em a miss. Neway, I have since swapped my UR6 mids for a pair of CDT HD6 mids which are being paired back with my favourite UR1 tweets again and I have no complaints with the sound they produce.

It's also great that you're looking at the Lotus Reference - they are tops on my upgrade list and are one of the most complete / accomplished component speakers out there sans the mucho expensive Rainbow Refs, Genesis Absolutes, Brax Graphic Pro and the likes. I have heard a lot set-ups with various components or with raw drivers but I am yet to hear one bad Lotus Ref set-up todate. For the $ 1.2K that you're being quoted for the Lotus Performance set, add another couple hundred bucks or less and you'll be looking at a new pair of Lotus Reference comps. Let me know if you need any help in getting them.

Cheers bro,

Hi Jaskin,

There's one shop at ubi called new generation, I got my done there....clean and neat job...u can try there if u r lookin for dls iridium.

Cheers

Jason, I am on DLS Iridium. Plays jazzy and hip hop tunes all the time - no qualms about thoughput quality.

You can try L-D Auto besides Odeon Katong Shopping Complex. Melvin or Vincent.

Have no idea what the person at Dynasty is smoking his price of $950 for the iridiums is way too low. New Gen and LD quoted me mid 1Ks

Different places have different price. Jason at Dynasty has a reputation... u either love or loathe him.. but his prices can be attractive sometimes, that's how quirky he is.

one of them said it alraedy... if u think Dynaudio, which has a reputation for being warm is too bright, forget about Focal totally. They use metal tweets, which theoretically tend to sound bright. But some things can be compensated thru installation and tuning.

if u are going active, u can get the mids and tweets at more attractive prices.
I woulnd't pay over $1k for Iridiums. From wat i understand, the tweets for the newer IR is the same are the old one..only cosmetic changes.

oneHeadlight said:
Lotus has a spike at 4khz... u need to tame them i believe..

Yup ... but it can be handled either via the supplied passives (notch filters) or thru the Para-EQ of your HU if you're running em active. There's a pal in SG who's running em active using Audison LRX amps - 65W into each drivers and they really shine. I'm getting them a little later this year to go with my Genesis Four Channel .... let the price drop a wee bit more!

P/S - Jaskin, the IRs seem a bit overpriced for mid $1Ks ... for the Nobeliums maybe but not the IRs, man! Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for ...

Cheers,

I think I've found what I'm looking for. I'm unsure if my current setup is ready to go active. Not really willing to spend any more money or space on amps.

Glad to hear that, bro - DLS IR6, I assume ? No worries, run em via the passives first with your existing set-up. You can always switch em to active mode when there's a need for it in future and you have the additional hardware to do so. Enjoy the music above all, man !!!

Cheers,

Thats the thing... the notch filters.. once the spike is tamed.. it sound very nice. Then again, the price some installers are selling them at...wapiang !!

Vantage said:
Yup ... but it can be handled either via the supplied passives (notch filters) or thru the Para-EQ of your HU if you're running em active. There's a pal in SG who's running em active using Audison LRX amps - 65W into each drivers and they really shine. I'm getting them a little later this year to go with my Genesis Four Channel .... let the price drop a wee bit more!

P/S - Jaskin, the IRs seem a bit overpriced for mid $1Ks ... for the Nobeliums maybe but not the IRs, man! Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for ...

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back