Does anyone have BMW INPA/DIS?

detach8

Does any have BMW INPA/DIS and a cable? I just got one on order and it should be arriving soon, hope to find a bro here who can share how to use it. I'd just like to reset some adaptations.

Re: Does anyone have BMW INPA/DIS?

Hi,

I am looking for the exact same item to do the exact same thing.

I suppose you have the proper hardware/laptop to set it up?

I have been fiddling with a generic OBD tool. My parcel with the BMW specific cable just arrived yesterday but I was not home to collect it. I've already installed INPA on my laptop and will pick up the new cable from post office later to see what I can do with it.

detach8;756986 said:
I have been fiddling with a generic OBD tool. My parcel with the BMW specific cable just arrived yesterday but I was not home to collect it. I've already installed INPA on my laptop and will pick up the new cable from post office later to see what I can do with it.

I suppose you bought the D-CAN cable with a USB head?

Yes, I got a K-LINE/D-CAN cable with a USB head. It's basically a USB-to-Serial FTDI chip inside.

I just got the cable and spent almost 2 hours in the car trying to get it to work but to no avail. Being a techie myself this has proven to be quite challenging.

I'm going to do some searching online and at the same time spin up a brand new Windows XP VM (I run a Mac w/VMware Fusion) and reinstall everything step-by-step.

Having some of the stuff in German is not helping either.

Will post updates...

detach8;757194 said:
Yes, I got a K-LINE/D-CAN cable with a USB head. It's basically a USB-to-Serial FTDI chip inside.

I just got the cable and spent almost 2 hours in the car trying to get it to work but to no avail. Being a techie myself this has proven to be quite challenging.

I'm going to do some searching online and at the same time spin up a brand new Windows XP VM (I run a Mac w/VMware Fusion) and reinstall everything step-by-step.

Having some of the stuff in German is not helping either.

Will post updates...

Any luck so far?

NIL. Found out that my cable will only work on pre-2007 cars. Newer cars need DCAN and this cable only has K-LINE. And to make it worse I have the iDrive so I need a DCAN cable that has the 2nd KLINE bus removed.

If you have a pre-2007 ride (i believe pre E90-LCI) and is interested to try on my current cable, you can drop me a PM. I'll see if I can hook it up to my friend's 2006 E90 tomorrow.

I just ordered a new cable and am expecting to do some soldering work after I recieve it. Will keep you updated.

detach8;757595 said:
NIL. Found out that my cable will only work on pre-2007 cars. Newer cars need DCAN and this cable only has K-LINE. And to make it worse I have the iDrive so I need a DCAN cable that has the 2nd KLINE bus removed.

If you have a pre-2007 ride (i believe pre E90-LCI) and is interested to try on my current cable, you can drop me a PM. I'll see if I can hook it up to my friend's 2006 E90 tomorrow.

I just ordered a new cable and am expecting to do some soldering work after I recieve it. Will keep you updated.

Thats interesting....

I need the new D-CAN cable so thats a no go for me either.....

I am interested to emulate the software set up on your laptop though......

Seems like I cant use VMWARE 7 as my notebook has no PAE supported CPU.

Im downloading VMWARE 6.5 to set up instead

Huh? VMware Workstation 7 needs PAE? I don't think it should require that. PAE is for making use of >4GB RAM in 32-bit environments.

Anyway I've decided to use an old Netbook cos it's lighter and easier to maneuver around the car... and no virtualization etc. so makes things easier also. I've got the software set up and am waiting for my new cable to arrive. Might take 1-2 weeks from HK.

Meanwhile, I'll see if my friend is available to test my existing K-LINE cable today.

cd5a3287.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Well When I tried to install the software said needs a CPU with PAE support.

Im using an intel Pentium M so by right should have......Fujitsu.

Anyway my cable is coming this few days......

I am planning to use DIS V57 to reset my long term fuel trim adaptation...

DIS is a headache. It needs to run in its own VM and uses network connectivity to communicate with EDIABAS which is your interface to your USB/serial OBD cable. I just tested INPA on my friend's 2006 E90 and it works with a caveat - I keep getting an error saying "communication disturbed". I think I might have to tweak my COM port settings.

Do you have the link to the best guide to set up everything so far?

I am getting alot of conflicting info based on GOOGLING.

Btw I am so tempted to pick up a IBM T30 to use as a dedicated diagnostic machine...

U keen? I heard its going for about $100 - $150 a piece now.

Nah I have way too many old laptops lying around. Thanks for the offer though.

It is important to get a laptop with a working battery that lasts at least 2 hours... you don't want your laptop to kaput while you are working on your car.

I'm trying to see if I can find a proper download for latest version of EDIABAS/INPA and share simple tips for setting them up.

BTW you don't want an old T30 I guess since you'll be running DIS in a VM. A more modern machine with sufficient compute power and enough RAM to run the VM is required.

I decide to forgo running native....

Just installed VMware on my netbook with an ATOM chip.

I'm going to try to set up all the softwares this evening.

I don't have a cable yet to check if I get it right or not though lol.

Looking forward to rcving it today or tomm.

So far the instructions I have gotten is how to link a COM PORT based older (non D-CAN) cable to the VMWARE environment through EDIBAS.....

I have ordered a USB based D-CAN cable since my car is post 2007 & I will need DIS V57 instead of V44 so I do forsee a problem setting them up since I will have to do an upgrade to V57 from EasyDISV44

Maybe we can find a time to go through that

detach8;758847 said:
BTW you don't want an old T30 I guess since you'll be running DIS in a VM. A more modern machine with sufficient compute power and enough RAM to run the VM is required.

My cable has arrived.....Set up my version of INPA on my netbook and realized my model is not on it....

ZZZZZzzz

What are you driving?

You may need the newer INPA which I have. It has E90, or under Engine, you may find E90 engines.

For the ///M engines I think they have a special category.

detach8;761363 said:
What are you driving?

You may need the newer INPA which I have. It has E90, or under Engine, you may find E90 engines.

For the ///M engines I think they have a special category.

Mini R56 Cooper S :)

I noticed your screenshot is not showing up...

Did you manage to set up DIS V57?

Nope, too much trouble for DIS - need to spin up another VM, set up networking... didn't bother. You might want to try though.

BTW where'd you get your cables and how much did it cost? I got mine off eBay ~$50 bucks.

detach8;761438 said:
Nope, too much trouble for DIS - need to spin up another VM, set up networking... didn't bother. You might want to try though.

BTW where'd you get your cables and how much did it cost? I got mine off eBay ~$50 bucks.

$70 SGD.......D-CAN cable shipped via DHL from a dude in Hongkong.....

They offered to sell me an entire set of the latest ICIS system that the new F Series uses, backward compatible and the entire software suite.....

That will set me back by about $4000.

The good news is from that generation onwards, DIS is windows based so no UNIX BS to deal with

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lokhung247net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back