Does sound improved by changing speakers only

megaclaw

Hi,

I thought of just changing the front speakers w tweeters to improve the sound quality.
I am not a audio fanatic but still want to hear some decent bass out from the speakers.

Do you think it will help? Or still need to add a amp in as well?

Re: Does sound improved by changing speakers only

Will definitely help, but don't expect too much bass. The stock head unit is speaker output level only. To get any sort of reasonable bass, you probably need an amp.

Thanks...I will probably replace the speakers first. Will install the amp later if still not satisfied.

might be better if u add an amp as well.. bcos the output will do your speakers injustice, and u may think the speakers are lousy..

May I know where do you install your amp? Under the passenger seat?

megaclaw said:
May I know where do you install your amp? Under the passenger seat?

in the boot... i think no space under the seat. Depending on your budget, it can be done swee swee or
like mine... two amp board. one for holding the amp, one for covering so amp cannot be seen.
some dont even care, just chuck the amp whereever it is.
some stealth it, some create a false floor...many many options...

megaclaw said:
Hi,

I thought of just changing the front speakers w tweeters to improve the sound quality.
I am not a audio fanatic but still want to hear some decent bass out from the speakers.

Do you think it will help? Or still need to add a amp in as well?

Piggyboy is selling his entire ICE set-up supporting the original HU. Not sure sold already. U may wish to check the Bazaar folder. Gd price.

megaclaw said:
Thanks...I will probably replace the speakers first. Will install the amp later if still not satisfied.

If budget only allows speaker change, by all means, go ahead. You will instantly notice the clarity and liveliness of the aftermarket components. As for the bass, let us know when you are ready. It's all abt $$$, ;)

sorry to borrow this thread...

1. How many watt (for amp) does u require for decent sound?
2. Do you need separate amps to drive the bass-tube and speakers?
3. How big are these amps? Boot already quite small for my 318.

thanks

I have an amp from my previous ride - a Blaupunkt Velocity. Also have a few speakers (MB Quad). An Audio shop told me I need to add in a high-low converter (or was it low-high converter) to use it in my 318i. And this cost like $400. Is this correct?

What should I expect to pay to install these equipment into my 318i boot, assuming I want to have a nicely doneup panel behind my rear seats?

You really cannot get much out of the stock head unit. I am running a DLS 6.5" speakers in the front, DLS A4 amp and pre- amp with stock CD head unit, only decent bass. Dun think by just changing the speakers it would help you much with the bass.

dfstan said:
sorry to borrow this thread...

1. How many watt (for amp) does u require for decent sound?
2. Do you need separate amps to drive the bass-tube and speakers?
3. How big are these amps? Boot already quite small for my 318.

thanks

1. I wud suggest at least 100 RMS...i stress RMS
2. preferably, for flexibility in setting gains and crossover. also Subs tend to draw a lot of power and it is
always recommended to have at least 250rms. So its pretty hard to get a 4ch to power both front and the sub
that can deliver the recommened min level of RMS. Some forumers here even have 1000w monoblock just for sub.

3. footprints depends on brand. For eg, PPIs have large footprint while autotek has smaller ones.
There are sacrifices to be made if u want decent ICE... no choice la...

good luck

Moneyman said:
You really cannot get much out of the stock head unit. I am running a DLS 6.5" speakers in the front, DLS A4 amp and pre- amp with stock CD head unit, only decent bass. Dun think by just changing the speakers it would help you much with the bass.

Thats true. Probably only midbass but not those 60hz or lower.... so EAgles Hotel California wun sound as good...hehe..

One thing to note especially those not using processor or anything like that...and using more than one amp.
If u are using two amps with original HU (headunit), the tendency for the installer is to use two Hi-lo converters, one for each amp. Becos the orginal HU output is already so low, by splitting into two makes it even worse, so one will struggle to achive decent subbass, and the installer will take this opportunity to tell u your amp not good enough.
what can be done is to check if your amp has output...so u use only one hi-lo converter, connect to one amp, and from this amp, output to the second amp. This way, u achive "better power". Its proven...first hand experience... my sifu taught me hehe... the compromise is u cannot use the fader...

MapleLeaf said:
I have an amp from my previous ride - a Blaupunkt Velocity. Also have a few speakers (MB Quad). An Audio shop told me I need to add in a high-low converter (or was it low-high converter) to use it in my 318i. And this cost like $400. Is this correct?

What should I expect to pay to install these equipment into my 318i boot, assuming I want to have a nicely doneup panel behind my rear seats?

a hi-lo converter costs $400 ?!!! Take half of it...buy some black paint and paint the whole shop... I must say its possible if u use competition grade like DAvid Navone but even davidNavone should costs only about $50 including shipping.
He probably included other stuff like your RCA cables etc etc.... ask for the details.

u may wanna post to ask for a meetup on ice setup... or u may go to Hong Guan which is recommended here in this forum..
it all depends on your budget ..

ER... i thot the hi low convertor is to act as the RCA outputs of your HU to install to the AMP inputs?

I mean, AMPs need an RCA input and for what I know BMW stock HU do not have preamp outs in RCAs?

hence, user has to buy this so called Hi Lo convertor to convert the Speaker outputs of the
HU to RCA voltage levels so as to be able to feed into AMPs without distortion or distroying
the front stage of the amp.

In my opinion, this is kinda rubbish as without a proper RCA or preamp out from your HU
you are actually double amplifying. (ie HU amplify for speaker output, you bring it down
and then use your AMPs to bring it up again) Thus, no matter how good the amp you use, you are
still passing through the orig HU amps, which I seriously find that it makes no sense.

However, I like very much the Stock HU and wish there is anyother way we tap a decent
RCA output from the source itself. Is there anybody who knows how to do it? or is
there a real other alternative in the first place...

Cheers

Roland106 said:
ER... i thot the hi low convertor is to act as the RCA outputs of your HU to install to the AMP inputs?

I mean, AMPs need an RCA input and for what I know BMW stock HU do not have preamp outs in RCAs?

hence, user has to buy this so called Hi Lo convertor to convert the Speaker outputs of the
HU to RCA voltage levels so as to be able to feed into AMPs without distortion or distroying
the front stage of the amp.

In my opinion, this is kinda rubbish as without a proper RCA or preamp out from your HU
you are actually double amplifying. (ie HU amplify for speaker output, you bring it down
and then use your AMPs to bring it up again) Thus, no matter how good the amp you use, you are
still passing through the orig HU amps, which I seriously find that it makes no sense.

However, I like very much the Stock HU and wish there is anyother way we tap a decent
RCA output from the source itself. Is there anybody who knows how to do it? or is
there a real other alternative in the first place...

Cheers

Actually we may not need a hi-lo converter cos some amps do take in high input...so that depends on amps.
Assuming u wanna use a hi-lo converter, and u are reluctant to change the stock HU, go for a competition grade
one from david navone. Check out the website...altho i hear sound dynasty carries them.

Then u can use a processor such as the alpine H701... i recall speakin to a forumer who did that and claim that
its good enuf for him. Some installers wud ask u to get a pre-amp altho many ICE people i spoke to do not recommend
that cos the difference is minimal.

what i mention in the earlier post is that if u are using two amps...dont use two hi-lo converter if your amp can connect each other... so that u dont split the already weak 1v to 1.5v from the orig HU.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamewin79mobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back