E36 - Any Batch comes with 5-Speed Auto?

RSCT

Hi

I was told all E36 with auto transmission comes with 4-speed auto (except those UK/US spec ones which has 5-speed variants)?

Can someone in the know confirm this?

Thks

Re: E36 - Any Batch comes with 5-Speed Auto?

I don't think so though. I did a search on realoem and E36 320icome with 5 speed auto. Only 316 and 318i comes with 4 speed auto.

futron.sim;437901 said:
I don't think so though. I did a search on realoem and 96 E36s come with 5 speed autos A5S310Z transmission.

Yup, but are 5-speeds available in SG as well or only in US/Europe?

I tot all e36 autos are 5 speeds?

dpointt;437907 said:
I tot all e36 autos are 5 speeds?

I was told in boleh land all locally assembled e36 auto r 4-speed. They come in PRND321.
For SG i think its PRND432.

Maybe its a miscommunication lah and they say 4-speed (cos D is the 4th speed while in SG, D is 5th speed but "1" is missing?)
:huhhuh:

My auto box is 5 spd with PRND432. So yes there're 5spd autoboxes in Sg.

Basically the 432 means tt the car won't upshift beyond tt gear, ie in 3 the car will stay within gears 1,2, n 3. Hope this helps.

jason3s;438011 said:
My auto box is 5 spd with PRND432. So yes there're 5spd autoboxes in Sg.

Basically the 432 means tt the car won't upshift beyond tt gear, ie in 3 the car will stay within gears 1,2, n 3. Hope this helps.

yup, meaning the e36s up north are short-changed with 4-speed transmission?? even their 1998 manufactured batch..

or it just that Malaysian drivers are not allowed to drive their car in 4th gear??

All BMW's of the 1991 era with the M50 engine had 5 speed gearboxes, which was the world's first mass production 5 speed auto by ZF. It is a gearbox that does not have many friends due to short life, clonky shifts, complex rebuild etc. For some markets, BMW fitted the 4 speed GM gearbox instead, supposedly for better durability; i heard ( it was also used by Opel in the Omegas..as well as the 4 cylinder BMWs) but another reason was probably for import tax offset reasons. Some models exported to Japan used Jatco gearboxes with very short ratios to improve acceleration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868co
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back