E36 Autotransmission - What do the numbers stand for?

matchless

Hi all. First i would like to say that i am a newbie when it comes to cars and bimmers.

Trying to educate myself by reading up but it's hard to acquire years of knowledge in months. :)

Anyway i have a questions. I drive an E36 316i auto. The transmission is as follows:

1, 2, 3, D, N, P

Next to it is a switch:

M(anual), E(conomy), S(port)

I have the manual but it's not very detailed.

Till now, i have been driving on D. And i think it's quite a waste if i don't utilise all the options available to me.

Could anyone explain the gears 1, 2, 3 to me, and in what situations should i use them?

Also, i understand that flicking the switch to S provides for a "sportier drive" (according to the manual). But if i flick the switch to M, how should i use it?

I really appreciate if someone experienced can shed some light on this for me. Thanks guys!

Re: E36 Autotransmission - What do the numbers stand for?

1, 2, 3 is something like your 1st, 2nd,3rd gears

D = Drive
N = Neutral
P = Parking

E(conomy), S(port)
if u need faster acceleration or alot more power, use the S mode (press forward)....higher rpm but high on fc.....quite good for lane change in fast traffic

if u need to go back to normal drive, just press down in the middle

hixhix...im driving an 92 e36 too, first time own a bimmer and first day drive it as well. I dont know its f/c is high or low. But today I fill a full tank of petrol at $106 after discount..howcome it's damn expensive leh hixhix :( so the average f/c of a full tank could last for a week rite? damn...need to save money from eatting to pay for petrol hahaaa :p

mine only last me abt 3 to 4 days.
i'm using 17" rims, aircon usually level 1-2.
my fc was like 6.5-7.5km/l......installed the superione thingy abt 6 months ago but weren't much use until i realise the workshop might have did the piping wrong. the 1 way valve was like after superione so i changed that to 1 way valve to superione to engine. 8km/l so far

sszone;138189 said:
1, 2, 3 is something like your 1st, 2nd,3rd gears

D = Drive
N = Neutral
P = Parking

E(conomy), S(port)
if u need faster acceleration or alot more power, use the S mode (press forward)....higher rpm but high on fc.....quite good for lane change in fast traffic

if u need to go back to normal drive, just press down in the middle

Hi, thanks for your reply. Since there is no clutch in my auto car, i can shift between gears using the transmission box with no problems right? Or must i release accelerator/brake anything?

Also, what about the M mode (pushing the slider down)? Does it mean that if i want to use 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, i must engage the M mode?

Thanks bro...

sym7081;138262 said:
hixhix...im driving an 92 e36 too, first time own a bimmer and first day drive it as well. I dont know its f/c is high or low. But today I fill a full tank of petrol at $106 after discount..howcome it's damn expensive leh hixhix :( so the average f/c of a full tank could last for a week rite? damn...need to save money from eatting to pay for petrol hahaaa :p

hi bro. is yours an E36 316i too?

not many 316i left nowadays. recently just parked next one same colour as mine. Rare occasion...

anyway, how come your full tank after discount $106? what petrol grade you use, V Power? keke

I normally pump 95. maybe once every 2 weeks pump 98. it's just too expensive that's why.

wish i can pump 98 all the time. can feel the difference.

Oh well, 98 does not seem to make a difference to me despite me pumping 98 all the time ...

i was pumping 98 when i first got my car, ocassionally vpower but now sticking to 95 cos i dun really feel the diff......maybe the price diff only....ouch

matchless;138509 said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. Since there is no clutch in my auto car, i can shift between gears using the transmission box with no problems right? Or must i release accelerator/brake anything?

Also, what about the M mode (pushing the slider down)? Does it mean that if i want to use 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, i must engage the M mode?

Thanks bro...

no need clutch bro cos there's none....hehe
just click the button on the gear knob and shift it up n down
but try not to shift too much.....cos i fear it might spoilt the tranmission if done frequently
normally i only use 1,2,3 when i am climbing slopes, especially when u feel that u got no power with D.
normal driving, D is more than enough
stop worrying so much.....i only learnt my gears thru day to day driving.....:cloud9:

sszone;138557 said:
no need clutch bro cos there's none....hehe
just click the button on the gear knob and shift it up n down
but try not to shift too much.....cos i fear it might spoilt the tranmission if done frequently
normally i only use 1,2,3 when i am climbing slopes, especially when u feel that u got no power with D.
normal driving, D is more than enough
stop worrying so much.....i only learnt my gears thru day to day driving.....:cloud9:

thanks for the replies guys!

Mockngbrd;138545 said:
1,2,3 so dat u can rev up to 6500rpm before shifting up
bro for E36, when we press the milleage button hold & turn on the start to on but not starting the engine, let go the button, automatically it will start some readings on our meter wat is tat? after tat is will perform self check on meters..

i dunno...my car dun hav any elec. checking meters and stuff.. :p
my car's like..... primitive auto technology

the most high-tech thing in my car, is my bluetooth car-kit

"bro for E36, when we press the milleage button hold & turn on the start to on but not starting the engine, let go the button, automatically it will start some readings on our meter wat is tat? after tat is will perform self check on meters.."

Yes the dial will turn max out and every thing lights up. Its like a self check on e36's. I use to play with it last time on my E36.

E30 gauges are more mechanical Mock heheheh

Just be gentle with E36's auto gearbox, they are electrohydraulics type of shifting and u dont want to damage it by doing too many manual shifting. Very costly if repairs needed. Shift only when needed like going up/down slopes like in Genting/Cameron highlands where u need more engine braking or else you'll burn out ur brakes after goind downslopes there.

ersalle71;138839 said:
Just be gentle with E36's auto gearbox, they are electrohydraulics type of shifting and u dont want to damage it by doing too many manual shifting. Very costly if repairs needed. Shift only when needed like going up/down slopes like in Genting/Cameron highlands where u need more engine braking or else you'll burn out ur brakes after goind downslopes there.

E30 gearbox le ?

E30 autogearbox are 100% mechanical shift type, more conventional but less smooth than the electrohydraulics type. But both are reliable provided you don't abuse them and take care of the gearbox and change the ATF oil and filter every 2yrs maximum. Better still once a year, cause both the ATF oil and filter are cheap. Basics on using them also same to all auto transmission gearbox, shift only when required or else stick to D all the time. Less stick travel lesser prone to damage.

Mockngbrd;138821 said:
i dunno...my car dun hav any elec. checking meters and stuff.. :p
my car's like..... primitive auto technology

the most high-tech thing in my car, is my bluetooth car-kit

same here. my e36 316 don't have any electronic checking meters. i read somewhere people saying that the less electronics, the easier to diagnose problems. cause too many switches here and there, the troubleshooting is very tedious.

not sure if that is true but in theory, sounds logical to me.

when i start my car, those self-check meters automatically light on. like self diagnostic...

ersalle71;138848 said:
E30 autogearbox are 100% mechanical shift type, more conventional but less smooth than the electrohydraulics type. But both are reliable provided you don't abuse them and take care of the gearbox and change the ATF oil and filter every 2yrs maximum. Better still once a year, cause both the ATF oil and filter are cheap. Basics on using them also same to all auto transmission gearbox, shift only when required or else stick to D all the time. Less stick travel lesser prone to damage.

thanks bro for the advice. think i will stick to D most of the time and use Sport mode if i need extra power.

Not like singapore got many hills anyway. but true lah, sometimes some upslopes on D with full load of passengers not enough kick.

But still, nobody has replied about the M(anual) switch and what it does. it's together with Economy and Sport.

or am i the only one with that? cannot be right. :confused:

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back