E36 Autotransmission - What do the numbers stand for?

Re: E36 Autotransmission - What do the numbers stand for?

The letter M, if your read in the owners manual, is for manual mode shifting when travelling on icy roads etc. Its supposed to prevent the spinning of rear wheel when moving off on icy roads if i am not mistaken.

ersalle71;138839 said:
Just be gentle with E36's auto gearbox, they are electrohydraulics type of shifting and u dont want to damage it by doing too many manual shifting. Very costly if repairs needed. Shift only when needed like going up/down slopes like in Genting/Cameron highlands where u need more engine braking or else you'll burn out ur brakes after goind downslopes there.
haha i know is a self check, the problem is after many yrs the reading still the same haha..
ya auto gearbox try not push around with the shift , just D & drive, prevent any damage..
unless like me haha manual... 6000rpm then change gear whahahaha...

The first set of number that comes out is some sort of engine management number or serial number, forgot liao, used to remember, but am sure it's serial number of some sort and hence, will not change one....

As for change of gears on 1,2 and 3 or 4 in a 5 speed gearbox, u will only use them in a slow traffic when the gear keep changing between 2 and 3 so u may want to fix it in one gear, or when u r coming down from cameron to prevent the gears from upshifting, resultingin excessive use of brakes.

:)

piggyboyz;139184 said:
The first set of number that comes out is some sort of engine management number or serial number, forgot liao, used to remember, but am sure it's serial number of some sort and hence, will not change one....

As for change of gears on 1,2 and 3 or 4 in a 5 speed gearbox, u will only use them in a slow traffic when the gear keep changing between 2 and 3 so u may want to fix it in one gear, or when u r coming down from cameron to prevent the gears from upshifting, resultingin excessive use of brakes.

:)

thanks bro for the tip. so far it's becoming clear to me now, when i should use the manual gears - going up or down steep hills and in heavy traffic to minimise gear shifts.

thanks all! :)

my advice is to just explore everything in the car !!! just shift it !!! haha...=p

good advice
like what the Nike ad says....Just Do It!!!
*disclaimer....goes easy on it and dun screw up the tranmission or it will be OUCh on the pocket

ersalle71;138848 said:
E30 autogearbox are 100% mechanical shift type, more conventional but less smooth than the electrohydraulics type. But both are reliable provided you don't abuse them and take care of the gearbox and change the ATF oil and filter every 2yrs maximum. Better still once a year, cause both the ATF oil and filter are cheap. Basics on using them also same to all auto transmission gearbox, shift only when required or else stick to D all the time. Less stick travel lesser prone to damage.

Friend, Good day. U mentioned cheap to change ATF oil n filters but how much will it cost if changing ATF oil & filter for E36? Any recommanded place to perform the task. I am not sure if my problem was the case. Perfect when I am at Neutral / Park gear but when I engage into Drive I felt some vibrations on steering usually when fully stopped at traffic light. Is that becos of the ATF oil and filter? I forgot when was the last change but my mechanic sounds to me that changing ATF oil & filter need about $200-300??? To me thats not cheap at all.

Hello 9090, get the parts like the ATF oil and filter from ENG SOON and get your trusted mechanic to do it. The most he charge for labour, that way he cant overcharge u. He may tell u to flush it and that where it is very costly. It is not necessary to flush, but may do so once in a while. As for me my friend, my car uses 4 bottles of ATF DEXRON II oil which costs $8 per bottle, total $32. The ATF oil filter for my E30 auto transmission costs somewhere around $18 if i am not mistaken(cant recall). And as for me, my mech labour charges around RM40 cause i do it in JB. If I DIY would be minus RM40 hahahaha. Not sure how much ur auto transmission filer but it wont hit till $200-300 unless u did flushing. If u want to save, everytime u want to do repair, get the parts yourself :) From there on u can know how much the workshop rip ur throat

If your car vibrates at D until u who sits inside becomes uncomfortable then u need a new engine mounting, this vibration got nothing to do with ur ATF oil or filter.

its the mounting...i second that.....cos i also had the same prob...hehe
changed mine a few months back....so peaceful ride after that

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back