E36 Engine Hesitation

swt

Hi all!

if anyone can enlighten, lately my e36 318 automatic has been experiencing a high fuel consumption.

whenever i step on the gas pedal, there seems to be suction force on the pedal preventing it my ride from going forward. sometimes when i step even harder, the whole car will 'jerk', as a result the pick up is also slow. basically the engine is not as responsive as before.

has this to be with the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator? or is my fuel injector going?

I brought it to M+Q one morning to check, the Mr Chia told me nothing wrong, and true enough on some mornings the ride seems fine especially when the temperature is lower.

appreciate any light shed on this problem. thanks!!

swt

Re: E36 Engine Hesitation

Err.. bimmer engine scared of mechanic one.. every morning just go visit Mr. Chia lor... then she will runs fine I supposed.

1. Check fuel pump and fuel pump connection (under passenger seat behind driver)
2. Check air-filter (clean or replace whichever applicable)
3. Change your fuel regulator if its > 3 yrs (an you do mixed fuel brand especially 95 grade)
4. Get the STP fuel system cleaner (about $25.80), plonk it in then top up your tank. Run the first 1 ~ 2K varying your rpm as much as possible. Try to maintain the first drive off for at least 20 minutes.

If the above doesn't bring about any improvement.. good luck to you.. go see Sandy straight away and get some consolation... before visiting workshop for a thorough check up. Intermittent problem could be ECU related.... Enlighten us when your problem solved.

cheerz

thanks Jawsg, can always count on you for your words of wisdom ah...

i did point 3, bought the stp cleaner for 25 bux but no difference.

will keep you guys posted once i go for my next round of servicing.

by the way, if i ever need to change the following...what kind of investment are we looking at?

1. fuel pump and fuel pump connection
2. fuel regulator

Do a compression test on cylinder head, i suspect one of ur cylinder compression is low. This is based on my experience if u have done what JAWSG has suggested and u get no improvement.

thanks ersalle! compression test is done at the workshop i suppose, not something i can diy?

Yes, get ur workshop to do a compression test for u.

Can't remember exactly... just wild guess

1. fuel pump ($400 +/-) fuel pump connection (if kaput can't find part, DIY and solder)
2. fuel regulator (Cheap and should be

SilverACBimmer;218010 said:
Many told me it is the fault of the fuel pump. (Do you hear the 'bees humming sound')?

hear no sound lei...just no power la...not sure why...pumped vpower slightly better...but not as good as before...so must get to the root of it.

jawzsg;218212 said:
Can't remember exactly... just wild guess

1. fuel pump ($400 +/-) fuel pump connection (if kaput can't find part, DIY and solder)
2. fuel regulator (Cheap and should be

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betbond
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back