E36 engine swap

Re: E36 engine swap

Nope, half cut will per say not affect engine at all. What happens is you're just taking the front portion, everything, put it into yours, or replace yours. Engine power is what your new engine is.

Frey, thank you for correcting. My numbers wrong. :)

jest1081 : If you can find a 318iS coupe, i'm sure you'll be happy enough with the 140ponies it gives you. It gets me enough speeding tickets already. The 318iS is a m42, which is VERY different from the 318i m40. Of course, later batches of 318i had the m42 engine as well, so if you're getting a later model, its no difference.

My current consumption for full tank until the orange light, is 600km. This includes gunning the damn car every day. I guess most e36 guys are the same. 620km, if i ease off abit, but still gun.

The consumption is AMAZING compared to the auto e36.

First you need to decide if you want a sedan or coupe. Cause you cannot change the shape of the car.
Then, you decide what engine you want. There are 320, 325, and 328 coupes still around. Not hard to find as well. Most of them are auto thou, i havent seen a factory maunal, converted ones, afew.

My ideal would be to get a 325 and manual it. But as of now, the m42 is already satisfying enough. Do a few mods, simple ones and you'll be seeing more ponies for sure. Don't be too concern abt the CC my friend, the e36 beauty lies in its handling, not the speed. :)

Last week, BVO boss say to me one morning "jack, since u like ba long long want lup M54 mai?"

SC_IS;415161 said:
Nope, half cut will per say not affect engine at all. What happens is you're just taking the front portion, everything, put it into yours, or replace yours. Engine power is what your new engine is.

Frey, thank you for correcting. My numbers wrong. :)

jest1081 : If you can find a 318iS coupe, i'm sure you'll be happy enough with the 140ponies it gives you. It gets me enough speeding tickets already. The 318iS is a m42, which is VERY different from the 318i m40. Of course, later batches of 318i had the m42 engine as well, so if you're getting a later model, its no difference.

My current consumption for full tank until the orange light, is 600km. This includes gunning the damn car every day. I guess most e36 guys are the same. 620km, if i ease off abit, but still gun.

The consumption is AMAZING compared to the auto e36.

First you need to decide if you want a sedan or coupe. Cause you cannot change the shape of the car.
Then, you decide what engine you want. There are 320, 325, and 328 coupes still around. Not hard to find as well. Most of them are auto thou, i havent seen a factory maunal, converted ones, afew.

My ideal would be to get a 325 and manual it. But as of now, the m42 is already satisfying enough. Do a few mods, simple ones and you'll be seeing more ponies for sure. Don't be too concern abt the CC my friend, the e36 beauty lies in its handling, not the speed. :)
You should change the final drive as well. I just replace it with a 4.44 one (original 3.45) and I just love the acceleration. Now I just rev the engine till 4K before changing gear. Great feeling.

milk15;411163 said:
Wow........... its seems serious with all the broken fins.... :(
1.jpg

Paiseh.... I'm not really technical with all these troubleshooting stuffs..... I only could say is that.... do bring to the workshop and let them check whats really the problem...
As i do not know how much your friend is willin to spend & how long does he intend to keep driving the car...

Here's some points for him to note..... if the engine really pang kang liao....
Hope it helps................:)
  • if its just some minor parts need replace... should be less then $500
  • if overhaul / rebuild completely for 6potters.... est. $2500 - S$3000
  • if do engine swap for a same 320.... est. $2000
  • if swap to a higher 328...... est. $2800 (provided his 320 is a single vanos engine if not will have to get the complete 328 half cut to do the conversion)
  • Complete 328 half cut ...... est. $5000
  • Last option.......:laughlik: E36 M3 3.2L engine ....... est. $7000
Pls note the above pricing are just a rough estimation........
*** btw, toto, its time for you to pass the PROPEL vouchers for your friend to use..... kekekek

swap to higher engine? is that even possible here in SG? tot LTA only allow changing to engine of the same type and of the same displacement? *blur blur blur liao*
*Sorry if my question sounds toooo noobbss...*

LAST YEAR...
i got BBK... Unichip set 2 maps..
i got electric fan... Unichip tuned

TODAY..
i got a 325i/328i gearbox, flywheel, clutch.... Unichip tuned
I cut away the 318iS TBS..... Unichip tuned & "cheat" the TBS..

now Unchip "lie" to throttle, it tot i step it "hard" so "open" faster hence my car now very classic fast,
JOE say "secret" trial run on my car on tuning the TBS.. ai tune mai?

now ride full of torque ! think no 318iS shld come close.... ai race mai?

Bro, it's TPS............. Throttle Positioning Sensor..... kekeke

iScoupe;423846 said:
now Unchip "lie" to throttle, it tot i step it "hard" so "open" faster hence my car now very classic fast,

does this mean more fuel released and so the same as flooring the accelerator to achieve the same effect? So is it true can tune to improve FC across whole range of RPM?

thanks in advance

abcd;423916 said:
does this mean more fuel released and so the same as flooring the accelerator to achieve the same effect? So is it true can tune to improve FC across whole range of RPM?

thanks in advance
no really, the throttle opens more for air to go in.. for more fuel it was done during the initial installation of the unichip.. get the unichip Q if u driving E36.. I not sure for other model, but E36 the chip works perfectly good for my 17yrs old ride, of course with JOE the tuner.. he tune according to my driving style.. mine is road hogging style.. u want "speed demon" style also have...:lol2:
well for FC i get 10km per litre for "normal" mapping.. if i turn to my 2nd "mapping" i will get 8.5km or even 8km with more torque, instant feel when u on highway.. or overtaking on street..

iScoupe;423980 said:
no really, the throttle opens more for air to go in.. for more fuel it was done during the initial installation of the unichip.. get the unichip Q if u driving E36.. I not sure for other model, but E36 the chip works perfectly good for my 17yrs old ride, of course with JOE the tuner.. he tune according to my driving style.. mine is road hogging style.. u want "speed demon" style also have...:lol2:
well for FC i get 10km per litre for "normal" mapping.. if i turn to my 2nd "mapping" i will get 8.5km or even 8km with more torque, instant feel when u on highway.. or overtaking on street..

Ai track mai??? Uncle Jeff ask.....

iScoupe;423980 said:

So the air/fuel mixture gets more air and hence produces more torque?

How do u select the various mapping - there is a kinda of selector switch?

apologies for bugging :oops:

thks

milk15;423867 said:
Bro, it's TPS............. Throttle Positioning Sensor..... kekeke
oh i see, not throttle body sensor.... my china girl friend say one.. she say only my ride got 2 senors compare to normal model... :lol2:

abcd;423990 said:
So the air/fuel mixture gets more air and hence produces more torque?

How do u select the various mapping - there is a kinda of selector switch?

apologies for bugging :oops:

thks
oh ya ! just pay a little more to JOE to get u 2 mapping, think can have up to 6-8maps which is useless for our ride, so many also no use.. so stick to 2 will do..

u can buy a switch to select the maps.. hmmm my switch is similar to aircraft missile engage switch.:lol2:

iScoupe;423999 said:
oh ya ! just pay a little more to JOE to get u 2 mapping, think can have up to 6-8maps which is useless for our ride, so many also no use.. so stick to 2 will do..

u can buy a switch to select the maps.. hmmm my switch is similar to aircraft missile engage switch.:lol2:

Does not do for everyone........ only for selected few.... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

wah, aircraft missile engage switch!

sound like driving a racecar in Death Race!

abcd;424006 said:
wah, aircraft missile engage switch!

sound like driving a racecar in Death Race!
no la, mine for road hog... like club sandy chairman always say

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back