E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

tsew-C83

Haiz.. after ownership of my UDM for almost a year with mileage of 222299. I starting to find my Ulimate driving machine is turning Ulimate nightmare machine. here are the damages..

speedo bulb socket 2 pcs 8.00
door panel clips 15 pcs 9.00
replcament fog light h1 bulbs 60.00
new battery(weak liao cant start @ my place) 85.00
non return valve 1pcs 10.00
booster hose 2 feet 5.00
air filter 12.00
worn sparkplug 75.00
camshaft 190.00
rocker arms 8 pcs 200.00
hydralic tappets 144.00
engine mount 84.00
worn brake pad f. 37.00
timing belt 16.00
full aircon overhaul 700.00
2 worn tires 17" 240.00
2 ball joints 50.00
2 power window switch 20.00
2 boot absorber 20.00
starter motor 50.00
worn pair of control arm bushings 50.00

work man ship for above cost ard 500(aircon excluded)

and now my clutch is worn, bearing got sound, driver window recently rattle, power steering leaking, door locks acutactor not function properly, radiator water must top up every 4 days(suspect got hairline crack some where). And hopefully full stop

wah lau eh. damn headache the repairs seems like endless sometimes i just feel like giving up and switch to a JDM.In terms of reliabitly my old nissan is better i felt. share your woes :( :( :( :(

Re: E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

Sorry to hear about the woes....guess it paramount that you do a thorough check and assessment of the car before the purchase. Mine to share after 1 year, 50kkms of ownership and 2k poorer

Bilstein shocks and struts FR & RR
FR & RR shock mountings, bump stops
Lower arm ball joints
FR & RR wheel bearings
Serpentine belt, pulleys and tensioner
FR & RR Brake pads
RR Brake discs

Quite a fair bit for 50k but it still goes like a stink at 200kmh ....

Felix, don't despair, my first workshop bills is a little above $4K within the first 2 months of ownership, even though car didn't break down and was too soon for me to really discover any problem (I was also outstationed for 10 days during then). Things I got done includes;

Fan & fan clutch (changed)
Radiator, water pump and hoses (changed)
Water pump (changed)
Timing belt (changed)
All brake pads (changed)
Suspension front and rear (changed)
Plugs, oils, and what odd noughts for a normal service
and ya, flushed the clutch too.

These are some of the things which I like to have a historical records of, so they won't break down on me unexpectedly. An old car is an old car and many parts are starting to fail mainly due to age (well wear and tear).

I do have some glitches now and then but in general, my car is doing just fine. I am pondering if I should at least do a top overhaul for better peace of mind but many brothers advise that it would be the least of my worry for now after trying out the car. Hmmm.. still thinking.

Felix don't feel so dispair lah.. take it like you are doing a small project to get that machine back into its great condition. I know it's a little painful along the way, but when you reach there, the reward is simply sweet.

Keep in touch about your progress.

Yup, spent about there too....
Just for a peace of mind within the next few years!!

Oh ya, top all those by having a
ONE DOOR coupe, stupid lock kaput...
left in workshop for about 3 days as there isnt any way to access the lock!!!
hahaha... 500 bucks poorer

cheers...

If you think your engine got hairline crack, wait till coolant floods into your engine oil. After that go and search for a good used 2nd hand engine in m'sia, since your engine is M40 theres plenty of it there. I think you got a problem like mine too recently, hairline crack at the head block. A used M40 engine plus labour costs me RM4000.

tks mr ersalle71. seems like infamous m40 radiator problem haunting me.. I ruled out the possibility of crack head. just overhauled haizzz.. one problem after another

correct me if i wrong. symptoms of a kaput head are
. creamy engine oil
. screwed up plugs
. strong gasoline smell from rear and engine bay(flooded?)

So u did do a top overhaul huh and still loosing radiator water.......end of ur head block...could be due to warping head/hairline cracks at head block.
Blown head gasket will give u
. creamy engine oil.........yes
. screwed up plugs.........yes
- can see white smoke during cold start and also got water coming out from exhaust tip plus coolant smell also.
. strong gasoline smell from rear and engine bay(flooded?).....this one sounds like leaking fuel line or crack fuel line.
and bad luck would be engine overheats heehehhe
Ensure that your radiator is not leaking, check for leaks at the radiator plastic joining to alumunium body, very commong leak for radiators more than 10yrs old. And the radiator hoses too, replace them if they are too old.
Just sort them out, your nightmare would be over...... good luck

dpointt;144312 said:
Yup, spent about there too....
Just for a peace of mind within the next few years!!

Oh ya, top all those by having a
ONE DOOR coupe, stupid lock kaput...
left in workshop for about 3 days as there isnt any way to access the lock!!!
hahaha... 500 bucks poorer

cheers...
haha bro i kanna once 2yrs back, driver door, climbing in from passenger door for 3days then get it repaired... but ur $500 a bit expensive haha..

Felix, for your info, I'm did not replace my radiator with the stock bimmer ones, It was also german made and looked more robust. Probably cost just a little more. Still look good till today and performing well too. Despite stuck in serious jams, temp did not rise noticeably. Check with your workshop on the options available.

thanks mr joe! i havent been driving that offen just to take preventive measure from breakdown sudden. sometimes can be so frusrating man!! here and there not well. I already missed alot e36 goodies upgrades due all this stupid dumb dumb things

tsew-C83;144551 said:
thanks mr joe! i havent been driving that offen just to take preventive measure from breakdown sudden. sometimes can be so frusrating man!! here and there not well. I already missed alot e36 goodies upgrades due all this stupid dumb dumb things

Guys,

There is a price to pay. My 318i E36 these are some of the items changed over 1 1/2 years

1) Radiator
2) 4 sets absorbers
3) Bushes all round
4) Cams 1 set
5) Alternator
6) 2 sets arms rear
7) 1 long shaft
8) 1 aircon compressor
9) Trottle body
10) 4 injectors
11) 1 fuel pump.
12) ABS sensor 4 pcs

Now the gear box is going. Costs around RM 4.5K

Dont let me start on my E39 !!!!!

BMW's are definately the ultimate driving machine.

In terms of reliability my nissan (carb type)was much better man. also abt 10 yrs car. moreever ex owner before was a lady. just change abit engine oil change few plugs during maintance the bugger can really perform. Aircon overhaul also easy abt $300+ no need dismantle dashie simple chop chop one day job done. whereas my e36 overhaul aircon was major heartbreaker, everything dismantle to the core price also abt double. :shag:

I have also change the radiator and clutch since taking over the car for 3 months, don't know when the time bomb will explode ??? Car 10 years old liao !

hmmm.. E36 either u love it or you hate it..
every wear & tear is necessary to change before it break down, but once done , is superb. I check my radiator water every 8000km, never have heating problem. E36 is a more than 10yrs , repairs is inevitable, is BMW , parts is always more expensive. enjoy. :)

iScoupe;144606 said:
hmmm.. E36 either u love it or you hate it..
every wear & tear is necessary to change before it break down, but once done , is superb. I check my radiator water every 8000km, never have heating problem. E36 is a more than 10yrs , repairs is inevitable, is BMW , parts is always more expensive. enjoy. :)

Dudes,

You dont say. Just blew RM 600 on a second hand alternatorwhich went kaput today.

My best car I have ever had was my moms Nissan Sunny 1984. Only pump gas and drive. Once every three months top up oil. 4 years of problem free driving till I warpped it around a tree.

Lousy tree!!!

Yes, the E36 can be both a gem and lemon perhaps. Guess I was lucky to have found one with not too many problems. The previous owner was a car dealer and didn't have a clue about bimmer workshop whom I pester and bought the car from. Hence, my nervousness in getting everything right after taking over. Now my workshop keeps a database on what I have replaced and when it was done and I drop by to takes a peek every now and then to keep track.

Hmm... probably time to change my bushing and belts too. Parts was in my booth for over 2 months now. Staying ahead can keep breakdown to bare minimum but does takes quite a bit of effort.... however, the results can be rewarding.

Felix, please don't get too despair, slowly and surely you will get there and you will enjoy your drives so much better. I have a good share of owning japs and korean cars previously but the handling and safety department will never beats what I have now comparatively.

iScoupe;144470 said:
haha bro i kanna once 2yrs back, driver door, climbing in from passenger door for 3days then get it repaired... but ur $500 a bit expensive haha..

Yup tot it was pretty ex as well.... but got a nissan for replacement during that long 3~4 days, I think!! Even went to JB to fetch my parent with it then!!!

Hahaha... probably worth it during that time

Glad to know I am NOT alone in spending all this amount too...
Shit, hear some sound, kind off bird chippiing away when my car moves slowly today. Think its pobably the wheel bearing?? Anyone have any ideas??

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! hahaha :screwedu:

tsew-C83;144261 said:
Haiz.. after ownership of my UDM for almost a year with mileage of 222299. I starting to find my Ulimate driving machine is turning Ulimate nightmare machine.

Bro, at this mileage, even JDM also need replacement parts! It's not 22k km u know.

If you sell now after repair & replaced all worn/kaput parts, the next owner will be very very happi & can drive the car trouble free for the next few years!!

kekekeke

Just my 2 cents.........

'The Great White'

Quite so. My e34 has done 340k. Replaced those bits and more, but great to drive, and feels very modern compared to current cars. But from my research on very high mileage cars Lexus seems to be the best in longevity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88events
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back