E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

Re: E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

Oh ya hi Chewy,

What was done to your car? I still got this freaking problem of trying to get my RPM pass 4000. The minute it reaches there, it drops all the way the down and the car losses power momentarily. Please advise.

And do any of you guys know where i can can get Re-Wrap for my leather seats and trimming?

Runner71

alvin4c;145526 said:
hi sszone,

mine had a taping sound after i got hold of my ride, upon inspection at BVO, they told me it is a leakage in the exhaust manifold , luckily not a very expensive repair as they basically seal it up which set me back by $130. .. cheers

the sound seems to be coming from the top of the engine.
i have absolutely no idea....LL...gotta go workshop lor
but i like tinkering with stuff.....hopefully next time loaded enough to buy a big landed and then get myself those hydraulic ramps and diy...haha...just dreaming.....i aint that technically inclined. maybe IT or finance stuff still can....can't wait to do up my plasma/windows xp media centre home theatre soon.....hehe

Hi Runner71, go and get a set of ignition cables to try out like Bimmad has mentioned. What you mentioned sounded like your rev limiter is cutting in but that usually happens around 2500 rpm. If the cables doesn't help, you may need to check your ECU liao..

Here is the list....Incredible! My jaws drop when i saw the bill....

It all happen when my timing belt snap when i start the car, so moral of the story dun change your belt only when it is about to snap...:furious:

1. cylinder head gasket- 111.50
2. Cam shaft- 262.5
3. 8 nos. hydraulic valve lifter- 168.00
4. Heater hose- 18.50
5. Rocker arm- 168.00
6. Timing belt- 38.00
7. Bearings (Small & Big including a gear set)- 88.50
8. Bottom Gasket- 85.00
9. Timing gear- 72.00
10. Pulse Generator sensor- 111.50
11. Cylinder head bolt- 50.00
12. Air con valve adapter- 50.00
13. heater valve- 40.00
14. Carbon Canister- 78.00
15. Plug housing- 18.00
16. Connector- 18.00

17. Tow chagres 45
18. Discahrge and charge aircon gas- 80.00
19. Skim cylinder head- 90.00
20. Labour Remove, reinstall cylinder head and grinding all valve- 360.00
21. Replace timing gasket, Remove install aircon compressor, alternator & bracket, oil sump gasket, heater valve, conver air con from R12 to 134a- 160.00

Thats all the above... reckon the price is all right?

bro ur camshaft is abit overcharge where u got it? bought mine for $190 i assume yours is SOHC

Chewy;146186 said:
Here is the list....Incredible! My jaws drop when i saw the bill....

It all happen when my timing belt snap when i start the car, so moral of the story dun change your belt only when it is about to snap...:furious:

1. cylinder head gasket- 111.50
2. Cam shaft- 262.5
3. 8 nos. hydraulic valve lifter- 168.00
4. Heater hose- 18.50
5. Rocker arm- 168.00
6. Timing belt- 38.00
7. Bearings (Small & Big including a gear set)- 88.50
8. Bottom Gasket- 85.00
9. Timing gear- 72.00
10. Pulse Generator sensor- 111.50
11. Cylinder head bolt- 50.00
12. Air con valve adapter- 50.00
13. heater valve- 40.00
14. Carbon Canister- 78.00
15. Plug housing- 18.00
16. Connector- 18.00

17. Tow chagres 45
18. Discahrge and charge aircon gas- 80.00
19. Skim cylinder head- 90.00
20. Labour Remove, reinstall cylinder head and grinding all valve- 360.00
21. Replace timing gasket, Remove install aircon compressor, alternator & bracket, oil sump gasket, heater valve, conver air con from R12 to 134a- 160.00

Thats all the above... reckon the price is all right?

Your lucky it snapped while the engine was being cranked up....if it happened during motoring speeds, you will probably also need to replace the valves, con-rods, pistons, wrist pins and maybe even the crankshaft...

Walauwehhhhhhh, ur problem i see u kena knock thoroughly by the workshop. I don't see the necessary why they change the following:
8. Bottom Gasket- 85.00.....got such thing this one?
9. Timing gear- 72.00.......???
10. Pulse Generator sensor- 111.50......... this one if your spark plug not firing when other ignotion systems are ok.

GTV6;146210 said:
Your lucky it snapped while the engine was being cranked up....if it happened during motoring speeds, you will probably also need to replace the valves, con-rods, pistons, wrist pins and maybe even the crankshaft...

My VW Vento some 10 years ago snapped its timing belt while I was accelerating at speed (reached >140 km/h, up a flyover ramp when the belt snapped ... being a manual tranny, I remember being on low gear and on hard acceleration near 6,000 RPM!).

Everything died instantly.
AA's on-site diagnosis: Timing belt snapped, but distributor C&C's workshop didn't know the extent of damage until repaired. I was told to prepare for the worst .....

Good news came after the repair was done: Nothing damaged. Just changed the timing belt.

Was there something in VW engine design that prevented such a catastrophe?
The engine was a 2.0L SOHC 8v (the same one used in the first edition Golf GTi MkIII).

E83_X3;146255 said:
My VW Vento some 10 years ago snapped its timing belt while I was accelerating at speed (reached >140 km/h, up a flyover ramp when the belt snapped ... being a manual tranny, I remember being on low gear and on hard acceleration near 6,000 RPM!).

Everything died instantly.
AA's on-site diagnosis: Timing belt snapped, but distributor C&C's workshop didn't know the extent of damage until repaired. I was told to prepare for the worst .....

Good news came after the repair was done: Nothing damaged. Just changed the timing belt.

Was there something in VW engine design that prevented such a catastrophe?
The engine was a 2.0L SOHC 8v (the same one used in the first edition Golf GTi MkIII).

I guess it depends on the design of the cylinder head; the combustion bowl, valve lift, valve recesses at the piston. If at TDC the valves do not contact the pistons when fully opened, there is no concern for a snapped belt.

The other possibility could be the hydraulic lifters...there is certainly less damage when compared to solid lifters on high performance engines. Lastly it's pure luck...keep your fingers crossed when you hear that expensive 'bang' . Perhaps the reason for manufacturers to once again adopt the timing chain instead of timing belt on the new engines

does this mean that one doesnt need to change the timing belt??
hmm....

dpointt, I read from some literature that even with timing chain, you need to have them inspected at longer interval for undue wear but not likely they'll need replacement as often as compared to belt. My scrawny legs has broken bicycle chains before, hence I would think an engine may do worst. But then again, bicycle chain may be of weaker construction and quality.

finally found time to sneak off to mike (kian teong) to get rid of my irritating tapping sound but ended up spending alot more than that cos changed my timing belt and other stuff:

1 valve cover gasket
1 thrust piece
8 pc hydraulic lifter
rocker arm
thermostat
timing belt
2 pc timing bearing
belt tensioner
water pump
cam shaft oil seal
a/c belt
coolant

parts cost 737.60 and labour 160, in all 897.60 poorer

sounds reasonable to me but i'm not too sure cos its my first job with him besides the alightment job, usually stick to my kim chuan terrace workshop for engine works.
any comments? price reasonable? or kena chopped? which i dun think so cos he seems like quite a nice guy...i dunno

by the way, any suggestions for air intake....i'm quite tempted to install the simota carbon aero intake leh.....hehe

the car sounds quieter and more shiok to pulll rite? first reactions i got after i had the same problems solved as yours

well...i guess its like paying for a peace of mind....no more tap tap tap tap
but strange...i kinda miss that sound...haha
all i hear now is my exhaust vroom n deep humming
u haven't answer me leh bro.....was the charges reasonable cos i was thinking of finding them to do some more jobs on my black mistress....hehe

dpointt;146387 said:
does this mean that one doesnt need to change the timing belt??
hmm....

Well if you are refering to the M42 chain, it's double race and should last 250K or more, depending on your driving habit...Usual sign of wear is rattle at the timing case. Wise to change the camshaft sprockets and tensioner too while doing the job.

Well SSZONE, what u spend is worthy actually.... going thru the list of parts u changed, now ur car should be troubled free for the next 4yrs ehhehehhehe, say friend labour $160 not bad lah.. but if u do it in JB would be RM160 kehkehkeheke....

yup bro, thats why i decided to change the tensioner, timing belts and whatevre while i was changing the hydraulic lifters.
just called Gc motorsport to ask abt the simota carbon aero cos i was thinking of popping by jb.
much ex at RM1200 compared to the sgd400 i was quoted by fong kim....

jawzsg;146532 said:
dpointt, I read from some literature that even with timing chain, you need to have them inspected at longer interval for undue wear but not likely they'll need replacement as often as compared to belt. My scrawny legs has broken bicycle chains before, hence I would think an engine may do worst. But then again, bicycle chain may be of weaker construction and quality.

Joe, think you can do a flintstones since u got a bionic leg la!
Hahaha :lol2:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88events
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back