E46 320 sedan tilted to right side

Lane

Hi guys,
My car always seemed to tilt slightly to the right side (when viewed from the rear). BVO Bernard says it's norm for e46 due to some inherent design (flaws?). Some others says it's due to the battery at the right side of the boot compartment (viewed car from rear).

I just wanna make sure it's not something badly wrong with my car. I am posting it here as i think it could be suspension related. Can anyone enlighten on this matter? thanks.

Lane

Re: E46 320 sedan tilted to right side

Lane;461761 said:
Hi guys,
My car always seemed to tilt slightly to the right side (when viewed from the rear). BVO Bernard says it's norm for e46 due to some inherent design (flaws?). Some others says it's due to the battery at the right side of the boot compartment (viewed car from rear).

I just wanna make sure it's not something badly wrong with my car. I am posting it here as i think it could be suspension related. Can anyone enlighten on this matter? thanks.

Lane

Hey buddy,

A few possibilities.....

1. Suspension issue.... as you suspected
2. Balancing issues..... check with rim shops to check balancing
3. Check tyre surface for any small nails
4. If you have to, get your workshop to check your ride's axis.... but hopefully don't have to reach this state

I will also help you ask some of the more technically inclined bros for sos.

Cheers

the original design was meant for LHD - perfect balance between left and right.

so when they adapted it for RHD, a lot of stuff had to be moved to the right, e.g. steering column, dashboard instruments, etc. this makes the right side heavier than the left. add the driver's weight to this too...

that's why all RHD bimmers are slighter lower on the right side than the left. and this will be more obvious as the springs sag after some time.

it's no big deal. but if you're particular, change your suspension to height adjustable ones.

Hurrah to Dr Jin, who once again came to our rescue during our times in need!

Kopi treat for you is a must!

Now i can sleep properly...actually the workshops said the same stuffs in their lingo...but when it's from you, your technical breakdown is more precise and articulated than the usual "nothing wrong dah, just the battery and your weight gain lar..." from the workshop uncles.

And don't rub it in....you know my rear suspension is not ht adjustable.....and i know you got KW v2/Jic Cross/PSS10. I will resort to spacers to save face now....wait....maybe i can compensate by placing a dead battery on the left side...hmmmmm....cheaper too.....

the real doc is rodney... i'm just a quack...

from e30 to e36 and now to e46, all tilt to one side. wonder if e90 has the same situation?

I reduced my ride height unevenness by using thicker spring pads on right and thinner ones on left. I even doubled up the one on the right side by coring out the middle of an old one and sandwich it on the new pad. For added insurance, I dumped "those things you hardly use but have to carry in case" in a box in the left rear corner of the car. The difference is not so noticable anymore.

jon2367;463152 said:
I reduced my ride height unevenness by using thicker spring pads on right and thinner ones on left. I even doubled up the one on the right side by coring out the middle of an old one and sandwich it on the new pad. For added insurance, I dumped "those things you hardly use but have to carry in case" in a box in the left rear corner of the car. The difference is not so noticable anymore.

That's quite a lot of efforts to make it look levelled......i am going to stick to getting a dead car battery and put it to the left side of my boot.

Lane

carrying extra weight on the left side to even out the difference in height?

what about the increase in FC? imagine lugging around half the weight of an adult...

jon2367;463152 said:

Lane;463193 said:
That's quite a lot of efforts to make it look levelled......i am going to stick to getting a dead car battery and put it to the left side of my boot.

Lane

peterlaw;461968 said:
from e30 to e36 and now to e46, all tilt to one side. wonder if e90 has the same situation?

Yes E90 also got same problem

jinooi;461765 said:
the original design was meant for LHD - perfect balance between left and right.

so when they adapted it for RHD, a lot of stuff had to be moved to the right, e.g. steering column, dashboard instruments, etc. this makes the right side heavier than the left. add the driver's weight to this too...

that's why all RHD bimmers are slighter lower on the right side than the left. and this will be more obvious as the springs sag after some time.

it's no big deal. but if you're particular, change your suspension to height adjustable ones.

Jin is right!

Nothing to do with rim balancing, nails in tires........kekekeke

Coilovers are the best suspension to solve this....but not all like coilovers lah.....

'The Great White'

i think is ike that mine also. but from front view ( tilt to the left) is more abvious.

ferlyn;490654 said:
i think is ike that mine also. but from front view ( tilt to the left) is more abvious.

Looks like must install coilover to solve the height issue man..........

MTL........
cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetclaims

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups