E46 320i Gearbox

Ah Yew

Elo....

I think my gearbox got problem. Hope all the member can help....:( :(

I just got my bimmer (recond from Japan)3 months ago. After I got my car for few weeks later, I found that my gearbox start to act strange.

The gear will not engage immediately after I put to D drive. This will only happen for the first time, I mean after I start the engine. After that will go smooth. Whenever I stop the engine for a while, and start back the engine, than there will be about 1 to 2 second delay for the gear to engage. ( hope you all can understand lah.. )

I call Malaysia BM service centre, than they told me to change the gear oil and no need to change the ATF filter. So I bring my car to workshop immediately. The workshop owner recommend ZF oil ( from Germany ). After change the oil, it was better. But after 1 week, the problem come back again.

This happen is it becoz I think change the filter?? My understanding is all and all, I need about 8-9 liters for gearbox, but last time only used about 4.5liters.

Hope you all can help me to solve the problem.

Thank You!!!:helpp!: :helpp!:

Re: E46 320i Gearbox

Mine is exactly the same, only in the morning at first start up.

the atf filter is just basically a screen, not really a filter.

no, should be around 4 litres

Phil....

You manage to solve the problem?? I also not very sure liter can pour into my gearbox. I go thru manual, it says 8.9 liter lo... My gearbox is AT 5 speed. Is it same with your??

1 of my friend told me if I change the ATF filter, than I can really drain 99% of oil in the gearbox coz need to open the crank case... don't know how true is it....:screwedu:

you have to fill from underneath the car, there is a fill plug on the side af the transmission. Big allen key.

8.9 litre is gearbox AND torque converter. Doubt the converter gets drained when you drain the tranny

there is adrain plug on the trans, whatever oil falls out is what falls out, probably 99%, but thats enough lah

My trans is like that, it doesnt bother me at all. PLUS i absolutely try to kill it everytime i drive, hehehe

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back