E46 Steering Response

beem

Somehow after 2 weeks I've not driven my car, I feel that the steering is very light and biased towards the right. It was nice and tight before that...even tigther than a Proton Waja....I've done my alignment like 3 weeks ago and it feels great. Now it seems like whenever I make a right turn, the steering feels so light after making half a turn and there seems to be alot of free play. What is wrong? Time for new steering rack or some bushes needs to be changed?

Please help...
Note: this is a facelifted e46. The response should be better than the pre-facelift e46.

Re: E46 Steering Response

Have nvr experienced a problem like that before..
Could it be your tire pressures? Have u checked them?
Power steering fluid could also be another reason...

Its been like 50K since i changed my power steering fluid...u mean the steering will feel loose if the oil is old?

My pressure is 30 at the front...32 at the back....225/45R17...Been on this pressure all the while.

go get your front control arm bushings changed. bushes could've deteriorated to the point of them falling out.

it's a common problem with the e46. wear and tear between 3-5 years and 100k.

costs about $130+ for a pair, excluding labour.

do let us know after you get them changed.

cheers!

Could be what Jin Wee said...
Do update us with ur findings.

Good luck bro!

bro, it's OOI, not WEE.

I changed the bushes about 20K KM back. But might be the control arms itself?

I notice the car doesnt track center properly also..sometimes ok..sometimes not...felt the steering is loose.

better send it to your mechanic for a thorough check. could be due to a few other things too.

for peace of mind, send it to any of the sponsor workshops. they should be able to fix it.

was hoping that it's not the problem. but only by taking a look would you be able to know.

how much did it cost and how long did it take?

steering rack is crazy man...but i saw no leakage on the rack..what's the symptom?

OKAY LA jin OOI...
$1.4k !? Thats a killer.

it's probably as mentioned - the bushings are worn. Are you experiencing bad trashy ride as well, and clunking? then replace all bushings inspected as worn. Since it's an E46 you may want to explore polyurethane bushings, gives razor sharp response from what I hear.

You are right...the ride is trashy...not as tight and sharp as before. Felt loose.

Bushings..hmmm...how many are there? Can help name them out? The only bushings I changed is the control arm bush.

Update: I've brought my car to my mech to check it up. He said my steering rack and everything is fine. Nice and tight. He reckons that the the Hankooks I'm using is the cause of the floatiness I'm feeling. But these are one of the highly recommended tyres by e46fanatics. I don't understand why. Is it because my tyres are not run in yet? Its been a good 2000KM since I bought it. I've been driving along the NSE couple of days back. It feels floaty and even after 2 alignments, my cars track left easily....damn...this doesn't happen when I was on Michelin PP1.

Seems highly unlikely and may seem like a stupid suggestion but could it be that on one side of your car, the tyres are mounted incorrectly i.e. inside tyre wall is on the outside? Surely someone would have noticed if this was the case.

Checked that out as well..they are correct..indicated outside on outside.. One thing i notice...it is very very difficult to balance these tyres...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
socoliveztv

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back