E46 Window Regulator Fix

grommit

My front passenger window started making a grinding sound when being wound up or down. I did a quick search on this forum and on the internet, and found this to be a common issue with E46s.

I was quoted $200 plus from our favourite workshops to replace the power window regulator. Wanting to save a little money, I decided to try out the DIY zip-tie fixes I came across on e46fanatics, here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356847, and here: http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/.

After reading through the excellent instructions and after about three hours of feeling my way around the front passenger door (I was extra careful and took my time), I'm glad to say that the DIY "repair" seems to be working well. Just thought that I should share this here for those people who would like to consider an alternative (and cheaper) solution. This is a do-able DIY job, although probably not for everyone. :)

Re: E46 Window Regulator Fix

Congrats, I think the hardest part would be removing the side door panel.

its easy to remove it if u have done it many times. i removed mine countless of times to stick back my crossovers after hard cornerings. :lol2:

[Hi ! grommit.

Great ! Now I know who to look for if my power window regulator spoiled :)

The door panel was actually not that difficult to take out. :)

Removing the vapour barrier was the most tedious part. That black sticky stuff holding it in place was surprisingly strong.

The bit that got me most nervous was unbolting the airbag from the door. Like it says in the instructions, don't disconnect it. I put it in a small plastic bag and carefully hung it somewhere on the door, with the wire still attached.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetgenin

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back