E60 A/C problem. It is common fault?

Re: E60 A/C problem. It is common fault?

air come out hot for few minutes then cold.

Aircon is never pure cold. There is a place where there is a heat exchanger when engine coolant is piped into it (for heater purpose) to mix the hot air with the cold air production place where air con coolant cools the air.

Engine coolant flow to Heat exchanger is controlled by a heater valve. If the heater valve is stuck, or the acutator is faulty, or the sensor for the acutator is faulty.

Either way I cannot think of anything else except the VALVE issue.

MW;443918 said:
My aircon very smelly when switched on for first 8 secs. Yes I timed it. No, I didn't smoke in the car. Yes I do fart in the car sometimes.

BVO told me must change carbon filter. I initially thot aircon must change to carbon fibre.
MW spray the car aircon fungicide lah. Can buy that from DIY or auto accessory shop. Carbon filter, yes, it will get rid of the smell, but the actual cause is mildew in the aircon evaporator coil. what you're smelling is mildew spores. If you exposed too much to it your skin will have eczema issues. Rash, itch, etc.

centurion;443924 said:
MW spray the car aircon fungicide lah. Can buy that from DIY or auto accessory shop. Carbon filter, yes, it will get rid of the smell, but the actual cause is mildew in the aircon evaporator coil. what you're smelling is mildew spores. If you exposed too much to it your skin will have eczema issues. Rash, itch, etc.
where is the aircon evaporator coil? and which brand of spray do you recommend?

Hi guys,

Yesterady something unusual happen to my E60 .

When I start the engine, the aircon started and the blower to the feet just keeps blowing out air and I can't seem to stop it. Even I turn off the engine , the blower keeps blowing non stop , until I had to remove the battery cable and pluck it back that the blower stops.

Any idea what happen & how to resolve this? Pls advise.

Tks
Cheong

centurion;443924 said:

Skin problems? Damn. My face very smooth one. I go check out the spray.

In the meantime. TS' problem seems to be an electrical fault which causes the aircon to continue blowing even after switching engine off. Boonchong shd go see PML n get it done up or the electrical fault may affect other parts then die

Tks MV, but have anyone in the forum ever encounter this unusual problem before?
The blower just cant stop untill I disconnect the battery . could it be software problem?

booncheong;444024 said:
Tks MV, but have anyone in the forum ever encounter this unusual problem before?
The blower just cant stop untill I disconnect the battery . could it be software problem?
the relay is probably stuck. S$0.60 relay, couple hundred bucks workmanship.

Hi Centurion,

Have u encounter this problem before? It seems after i disconnect the battery, the blower doesnt blow non-stop already.. will it happen again? Do I still need to send in to PML to upgrade the software and change this relay?

many Tks for your advice.

Rgds,

Cheong

waltergoh;435393 said:
When started, and at idle, the a/c blows out air that is not chilled, even though my a/c settings for both sides are at 18 degrees. After driving it around for 5 mins or so, or getting up to highway speeds, cold air comes out and everything operates as usual. Everything functions as it should after those first few minutes, and the a/c will gladly pump out very cold air at the coldest settings.

I read in some posting that Actually, according to experts there is a valve in the compressor which controls the pressure of the gas being pumped in the system. As time goes by, there is a deterioration of this valve and the compressor is not able to pump the gas efficiently around the system quickly.

Normally, it should take about less than a minute before you feel cold air. Another symptom is during traffic jams or stationary periods; the air will start becoming warm as there is not enough pressure to push the gas around the system.

( Is the above statement True? Is this a common fault In E60?)
Can anyone verify?

Hi Walter,

I think i have exactly the same problem as you in a 1.5 year 523 LCI

This started about 1 month back.

At low vehicle speeds, no cold air (being stuck in a Causeway jam a few days back was a nightmare). At higher vehicle speeds (maybe more than 50km/h), the aircon functions normally again, and gets as cold as it is allowed to. All passengers confirmed this phenomenon.

Did PML managed to diagnose the problem?

booncheong;444048 said:
Hi Centurion,

Have u encounter this problem before? It seems after i disconnect the battery, the blower doesnt blow non-stop already.. will it happen again? Do I still need to send in to PML to upgrade the software and change this relay?

many Tks for your advice.

Rgds,

Cheong
sorry i haven't encountered this issue in a BMW before, just a suggestion which seemed obvious to me.

Hi guys,

Need your advice on how to make the aircon not turn on automatically for E60 when u start the engine in the morning. It seems the blower from top is always some how automatically turned on when i start the ignition. Then I need to manually press the "Off" button to shut it off completely , then wait for the car to warm up or drive off then later on , i choose to turn on.

Is there any way I can set the aircon to "off" ( i.e. no air comes out at all whenever I start the engine)??

Pls advise.

Tks!

fishbolah;444102 said:
Hi Walter,

I think i have exactly the same problem as you in a 1.5 year 523 LCI

This started about 1 month back.

At low vehicle speeds, no cold air (being stuck in a Causeway jam a few days back was a nightmare). At higher vehicle speeds (maybe more than 50km/h), the aircon functions normally again, and gets as cold as it is allowed to. All passengers confirmed this phenomenon.

Did PML managed to diagnose the problem?

I too have this problem with my 523 LCI some months back but was rectified when PML replaced the compressor. Could it be batch problem? I got my ride in June 07.

Just got the compressor changed for a new one at PML. It really is icy cold and much stronger than when the car was brand new. Used to set at 18-22 degree. Now, even setting at 24 degrees is a bit too cold for comfort.

fgchong;446972 said:
I too have this problem with my 523 LCI some months back but was rectified when PML replaced the compressor. Could it be batch problem? I got my ride in June 07.

my ride is feb 08 ... now the driver's side is pouring out hot air and the passenger side ice cool air... both side the settings are the same.... anybody able to help ???

Hmmmmmm.......my Nov 07 LCI is doing the same thing!

First few mins not cold, then cold again.

Does 3 years warranty cover this sort of issue?

fgchong;446972 said:

FG,
What were the symptoms of your aircon? I am currently experiencing a non-cold aircon for the 1st 5mins of drive, after that everything is good. Noticed also that if a/c is on, the noise up the front, presumably the aircon compressor is very noisy. If off, real silent

Cheers

silverbeam;448151 said:
FG,
What were the symptoms of your aircon? I am currently experiencing a non-cold aircon for the 1st 5mins of drive, after that everything is good. Noticed also that if a/c is on, the noise up the front, presumably the aircon compressor is very noisy. If off, real silent

Cheers

The compressor kick in only during higher engine speed (more than 1,500rpm). At normal idle speed (600rpm), only the blower was switched on. The compressor was replaced after my second complaint to PML.

waltergoh;435393 said:
When started, and at idle, the a/c blows out air that is not chilled, even though my a/c settings for both sides are at 18 degrees. After driving it around for 5 mins or so, or getting up to highway speeds, cold air comes out and everything operates as usual. Everything functions as it should after those first few minutes, and the a/c will gladly pump out very cold air at the coldest settings.

I think I have same symptoms as you do + my compressor seems to be extremely noisy. My guess is that if compressor is changed, it will cost 2k. Anyone done it?

I have the same problem that the aircon takes too long (sometime up to 5 mins) before it cools down. At first the PML advisor, explained that it is due to some technical stuff that the aircon takes time to blow cold air. They just changed the compressor two months ago, now the aircon is cold from start. Collected my car in Aug 2007, seems like this is a common problem.

Previously, the new gear stick jamed as well, and they changed it. But for the Rear view mirror at the passenger side still giving problem with the memory function after it being tilted after reversing the car. They have changed the mirror before, but problem still there. PML advisor said he will email the problem to BMW, but no news from him since.

hkhdbst;450190 said:
I have the same problem that the aircon takes too long (sometime up to 5 mins) before it cools down. At first the PML advisor, explained that it is due to some technical stuff that the aircon takes time to blow cold air. They just changed the compressor two months ago, now the aircon is cold from start. Collected my car in Aug 2007, seems like this is a common problem.

I assume its covered under warranty. I want to get mine fixed, but my guesstimate is abt 2k. Can anyone confirm damage for compressor change?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetceovn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back