E60 BMW GPS : Very Limited Features

MapleLeaf

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
I am very dissappointed with original BMW GPS DVD map (E60 LCi). No postal code search; no roads within HDB estates; no HDB block numbers; no speed cameras; no traffice light cameras...

Is there anyway to modify it to use Mapking or Garmin maps?

Alternatively, if I buy a new portable GPS (4" or 5"), which brand/ model should I go for now? (I know Garmin Jerome maps cannot do postal code search)

Re: E60 BMW GPS : Very Limited Features

Thats what you get from PML......always shortchanging customers!!!

As my LCI car is PI from Europe, it does not come with Singapore map.

Is anyone 'selling' their Singapore Map DVD?
Indend to get it 'cheaper' and not from PML.

MapleLeaf;433631 said:
I am very dissappointed with original BMW GPS DVD map (E60 LCi). No postal code search; no roads within HDB estates; no HDB block numbers; no speed cameras; no traffice light cameras...

Alternatively, if I buy a new portable GPS (4" or 5"), which brand/ model should I go for now? (I know Garmin Jerome maps cannot do postal code search)

hi mate does your street map include KPE?

Still strongly suggest garmin! or those that can use mapking maps!

Now there are two dedicated groups: malsingmaps.com and/or malfreemaps.com

The rationale is that these are likely to be the most updated maps. And malfreemaps.com is totally free and from their history broke off from malsing and are coming up with more and more updates..

What is the use if you had excellent Postal code but end up maps not updated all the time!

One of my garmin system the outdated 610 nuvi surprising can utilise both malsing and malfree and I can see all the malfree icons e.g. KFC, car parks etc.. etc...

Don't learn a mistake of getting others that cannot run garmins.. In fact garmin has an arrangement now with malsingmaps to use their map source!

But if PD is your lifeblood than... try to learn to type in simple commands like block no. and most of the blocks under malfree will come up faster than PD.

MapleLeaf;433631 said:

I just saw Giant Tampines selling Garmin 205W 4.3" LCD for at only $299. Geez that's really cheap for 4.3" :)

Ah Lian, u r spot on.
its abt localising contents..as in map contents...which r proprietary.
u can see some guys r mapping singapore's each n every corner via a truck loaded with alot of sensors, whom probably sell their work to Malsing or Mapking.
anyway, In Eu, the thrill is abt 3-D mapping, so I m waiting for newer GPS machine that provide pre-install 3-D map.

Clap, clap, clap:) new Garmin something like 255w has partial junction add on view:)

BTW, malsing has just released their new version for FREE dated something like April 2009! So go ahead try to update it for those with BMW / Garmin units such as those FL E90's...

Yes, within next few years 3D maps!

BTW, currently, those running around with a truck has to be one of the local vendors for SG & Singapore Map - Singapura, Singapur, Singapore Information or government initatives:) Currently, Malsing and Malfree are using volunteers utilising the garmin "track recording" mode on their "novice" vehicles:)

JLMC;442441 said:
Ah Lian, u r spot on.
u can see some guys r mapping singapore's each n every corner via a truck loaded with alot of sensors, whom probably sell their work to Malsing or Mapking.
anyway, In Eu, the thrill is abt 3-D mapping, so I m waiting for newer GPS machine that provide pre-install 3-D map.

Ah Lian;442444 said:
Clap, clap, clap:) new Garmin something like 255w has partial junction add on view:)

BTW, malsing has just released their new version for FREE dated something like April 2009! So go ahead try to update it for those with BMW / Garmin units such as those FL E90's...

Yes, within next few years 3D maps!

3D maps r already out ... Google has it, though not so 3D i felt.
where u can easily identify buildings, so it will help in yr search of that location.

but there is this kinda of hybrid mode but yet u can view it in 3D, side view maps/buildings.
it was even reported that the law had caught someone by using this 3D map.:sneaky:

Deadkookaburra;442281 said:
hi mate does your street map include KPE?

My DVD map is 2008 version. Dunno about KPE. Let me check, Maybe even 2009 DVD many not have KPE. Anybody here could verify.

We could start a thread to compile users and share feedback. (see Verified Members thread)

For those with IDRIVE from PI or PML, with or without factory integrated GPS, you can easily integrate a good local GPS (full licenced with upgradable maps) onto your factory LCD screen if you want. PM me if need more details - will be most happy to advice.

Now thats some good news.
PM me with more details and the all important $$$ cost!

I hv just bought the Garmin 765 from a friend and i only paid $499 for it with 2 freebies (orginal charger and a portable friction mount). This model comes with 3D building. You might want to check it out :)

JLMC;442441 said:
Ah Lian, u r spot on.

Les_M;442794 said:
For those with IDRIVE from PI or PML, with or without factory integrated GPS, you can easily integrate a good local GPS (full licenced with upgradable maps) onto your factory LCD screen if you want. PM me if need more details - will be most happy to advice.

Hi Les,

Pls PM me price too.

Jason

garmin or holux lo
now they both using SLA singapore
otherwise you may try to ask the gps distributor , see whether they can provice SLA for you car GPS
SLA is quite searchable and useful

Anyone got duplicate copies of the iDrive Singapore map to borrow or rent?
I bought my PI BMW, and now in need of the Singapore map.

kiss29;463554 said:
Anyone got duplicate copies of the iDrive Singapore map to borrow or rent?
I bought my PI BMW, and now in need of the Singapore map.

My I-Drive has Jan 2009 version local map but PML did not provide me any DVD-ROM.

Oh..I had the impression that PML/BMW gave the DVD with each new car.

ktnpl;463578 said:
My I-Drive has Jan 2009 version local map but PML did not provide me any DVD-ROM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pwin777orgph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back