E60 intermittent clank, thud, jerk, jolt etc when starting engine only

Re: E60 intermittent clank, thud, jerk, jolt etc when starting engine only

Friend's 523i has vibrations during start up, loss of coolant which need to top up once 3-4 days and some white smoke.Recently went with him to Workshop to check on was told coolant leaked into no.6 piston that's causing the vibration. Need to do a top overhaul and be in workshop for a week. Dunno if this is true. Anyone here can advise?

vinlis77;939096 said:
Friend's 523i has vibrations during start up, loss of coolant which need to top up once 3-4 days and some white smoke.Recently went with him to Workshop to check on was told coolant leaked into no.6 piston that's causing the vibration. Need to do a top overhaul and be in workshop for a week. Dunno if this is true. Anyone here can advise?
A friend of mine was driving a '07 523 and coolant was found leaking into his engine. His mileage is about 110k km. Don't know if this is a common problem with the N52. Btw he did an overhaul and it cost a bomb! Now I start to worry..

Last edited by a moderator:

goready;939125 said:
A friend of mine was driving a '07 523 and coolant was found leaking into his engine. His mileage is about 110k km. Don't know if this is a common problem with the N52. Btw he did an overhaul and it cost a bomb! Now I start to worry..

Any idea how much he paid? We are going to get it done at a JB workshop who does BMWs quoted approx RM3k.

How much was the overhaul ?

I am not sure which workshop he went to. He paid about $8k . His car quite bad because the idrive alarm came off suddenly and car refuse to move. It had to towed off. Luckily for him his car still under warranty from dealership. He bought his car preowned.

goready;939207 said:
I am not sure which workshop he went to. He paid about $8k . His car quite bad because the idrive alarm came off suddenly and car refuse to move. It had to towed off. Luckily for him his car still under warranty from dealership. He bought his car preowned.

ouch, that's really a tight pinch in the pocket, Jb is cheaper alot alot? reliable workshop?

kevinernest;939701 said:
ouch, that's really a tight pinch in the pocket, Jb is cheaper alot alot? reliable workshop?

He bought the 1 year 10k km warranty insurance which cost $1+k for car breakdown repair. So the bulk of it he did not required to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

vinlis77;939130 said:
Any idea how much he paid? We are going to get it done at a JB workshop who does BMWs quoted approx RM3k.

Which area of JB and probably name of shop? I in-out JB everyday but don't fell comfy leaving in JB workshop.... thx

goready;939722 said:
He bought the 1 year insurance which cost $1+k for car breakdown repair. So the bulk of it he did not required to pay.

Hi Goready. Any idea which company provide the insurance? Tot of getting it as well and for the premiums beside 1 year warranty, does it also include a max mileage whichever comes first? $1K is pretty cheap.
I found another at $2.5K only for 6 months or 10K mileage whichever comes first.

vinlis77;940282 said:
Hi Goready. Any idea which company provide the insurance? Tot of getting it as well and for the premiums beside 1 year warranty, does it also include a max mileage whichever comes first? $1K is pretty cheap.
I found another at $2.5K only for 6 months or 10K mileage whichever comes first.
If I recall correctly the insurance is from QBE.
Ps. I am in no way afilliated to this company.

Shinigaimi;933239 said:
I have this issue as well.

Did ATF but no effect. Still got the sound when I start the engine.

Initially, my workshop also quote me to change the gear lever system. Quite ex.

I went to my friend's workshop. The boss say do software update sure can solve the issue. Quoted me a price. Then since so cheap can try. While updating the system, I ask again.. so shen qi can solve the problem by software upgrade. Then he told me.. can solve most of the sounds. tmd.

Updated the software for 1 month, I haven't heard any sound yet. But there is another issue. steering wheel is vibrating hard when in stationary.

Now I am guessing whether is a engine mounting etc. Alot of money involved. haha.

I just got a '08 520i and is facing the same issue, can let me know the contact of your friend's workshop? I also have this issue with my brakes that after the car has completely stop, sometimes it still moves a little forward once I reduces the oressure on the pedal although it is still fully pressed down. Anybody else ever came across this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Meganeboy2666;940893 said:
I just got a '08 520i and is facing the same issue, can let me know the contact of your friend's workshop? I also have this issue with my brakes that after the car has completely stop, sometimes it still moves a little forward once I reduces the oressure on the pedal although it is still fully pressed down. Anybody else ever came across this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

This according to Rod, is time to replace solenoids... RIP. :p

Resolved the brakes issue by changing brake pump. Replaced ATF too. According to the workshop guy the start up sound is due to engagement of flywheel or something and is normal.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back