E60 Squeaking sound during braking - Advice needed

Re: E60 Squeaking sound during braking - Advice needed

it's never too late to bed-in your brakes. in fact you should do it occasionally, especially when the squealing sound reappears.

just remember to find a safe place to do it where there is no traffic. try lim chu kang road after 11pm - the part where they use as a temporary runway next to tengah airbase.

Bro patpoh,

come we go bed-in the brakes together ai mai.. then at the same time we see if its the same problem we face.. my brake pads is also about 3 weeks old liao..

anybody else wanna go together? than we all drive and brake together.. it'll be a scene to watch.. lol

erm, word of caution - the lim chu kang highway is a notorious drag strip used for illegal racing, and also police stake-outs.

weekdays just after 11pm has been ok for me so far.

so be careful, and i definitely do not advise that you guys go in a big group. inidividually or in small group of 2 or 3 will be easier to explain than a group of more than 5 cars.

and watch out for the indian workers walking by the side - hard to see at night (not being racist here)...

if you guys have a better suggestion for another place to do this, i'm all ears...

ah.. true also.. dun wan to end up being poked by some evo or wrx.. lol.. anybody got anywhere else to recommend?

Thanks for the advice, Bro jinooi. I will find a time to do this but LCK very far for me as I'm living in the east....

Bro Ahtan79, I will want to do this "bedding" thing quickly. I will perhaps do it in the at night, and tonight maybe. I am thinking of Loyang stretch of road or maybe in the industrial/business park where there's little traffic and people late at night...and yah, it will be a funny scene for someone to see a BMW start-slow down for no reason...I'm sure police sure stop and ask if they see it.

patpoh;452467 said:
Thanks for the advice, Bro jinooi. I will find a time to do this but LCK very far for me as I'm living in the east....

Bro Ahtan79, I will want to do this "bedding" thing quickly. I will perhaps do it in the at night, and tonight maybe. I am thinking of Loyang stretch of road or maybe in the industrial/business park where there's little traffic and people late at night...and yah, it will be a funny scene for someone to see a BMW start-slow down for no reason...I'm sure police sure stop and ask if they see it.
The distance btw pasir ris & LCK is about 45km via PIE. It is absolutely not far at all. It is safer to do it in LCK then Loyang. Loyang is so narrow. If there is any emergency, good luck.

Bro patpoh,

i stay pretty near loyang. if i happen to pass by tonight and see a bmw go stop go stop i know its you. :)

i live in the east too. and i've gone to loyang to do recce...

road is definitely not long enough - by the time you get to 100kmh and brake to 15kmh, you can only do a few cycles before you run out of road. when you do a u-turn, your brakes will already begun to cool down (unless you do a handbrake turn.

and as david has said, it's too narrow and there are some traffic lights and still some cars on the roads - u might have to slow down and stop - not recommended.

LCK is not that far. after you've bedded-in your brakes, it's the ideal distance to drive back - time for your brakes to cool down properly.

thats a good suggestion... my brakes had been giving the stupid sound on and off....

cheers

seow;431330 said:
hi all im new here may i know wat happened to my car when i drop gear to a complete stop a jerk happened seems like a gear box problem.is it normal?anybody encounter this problem? went workshop to check cant find any fault.

what car are you driving? do you get any engine fault warning in the dash?
i know i had a similar problem when this mech forgot to plug something properly in the engine, and and every time i slow down, the car would jerk like it cant decide which gear to change.

tansh68;430029 said:
Hi,

Was wondering if any of the E60 owners here have this problem with their brakes.

Just got my 525 (2 months ago) and everytime I brake, there is this "squeaking" sound from the brakes, the sound is also audible when I release my brakes when moving off. This happens to braking at both high speed and very low speed . It is not a screeching sound but rather a squeaking sound.

Went back to PML and was told that this is an inherent problem with the E60 due to the contact between the brake pad and the caliper (not sure if this is true) and was told there is nothing much I can do but live with it. They let me test the test-drive cars and the sound was even louder !

Need advice from the members here on whether anyone of you encounter this problem and whether what PML says is correct ? Can anything be done to stop the sound ? Was also wondering if this sound will go away if I change my entire brake to an aftermarket brakes (eg brembo etc)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Ok.. it is a common problem, i had it too when i change new brake pads and discs?
it just need to be bedded in.. in our stop go driving in singapore, there is a higher chance that the brakes gets glazed... if you look up this thread, it explains how you can bed in the brakes again.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/31992-squeaking-breaks.html

I have been driving up to desaru a couple of time this month and it seems to have gone away there are some heavy braking without stopping along the way that nicely beds the brakes.

no sound anymore! :) if i drive around singapore again constantly for a long time, i expect the sound to come back. :(

I face the same problem for the past 1 month for my 2004 525i. Very irritating sound. Take a risk to change pads ( brestar brand) from AMK autopoint #05 auto mart despite left about 40% pads left with rotor 90% condition. No more sound, as good as new. Found out that previously was original. Quite disappointed with Original BMW Textar pads.

Try reset service interval for rear pads to 50000km but end up -25000km default which current is 13000km. Change the sensor is fine. Previous one can see metal thing in the rubber metal visible.

Front pads sensor left 15000km to go and sensor allow me to renew so it's ok to use back.

Just my opinion, compare brestar and bendix advanced to bmw original, can see that they have less power form, some copper compound to enhanced the braking force while original full of black powder and cutting metal compound. Price 40% savings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi

Can PM me the price of the pads that you changed to?

I am on original pads and the dust is horrible, got to clean my rims every few days

Thanks

Hi. I've tried everything on my 2009 E60. I've changed pads, pins, discs, brake pipe, still squeals like a pig!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red88video

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back