E60 under seat woofer

Dav_C

I saw one item when open up the lining at the boot, looks like an amplifier.

Then I saw shallow woofer speaker under the car seat, not sure whether powered by the amp behind.

Has anyone done improvement on these items to improve the bass? I don't want to sacrifice boot space.

4013155744_db03843760.jpg

4012377219_b73310715b.jpg

Re: E60 under seat woofer

hahahaha.... this is the start of a slippery slope... :)
i supposed easiest way to improve bass is to get an amp and mount a free air subwoofer behind rear seats.

finally i know where the remaining 2 speakers r located in my car....

Yes, i have done this for my car. But the item behind isn't an amp and the two woofers in my car were 6" philips powered by the built-in amp of the "factory head unit". If you want to change the woofers, go get the earthquake SWS 8 which fits perfectly (the 6" were mounted on frame which is the shape and size of the 8" earthquake). You can get them from Ebay (where i got mine), then go to a local installer and buy an amp to complement it. They will most likely tap power from the boot, line-in (tap from your rear speakers) for your amp and you are done. Don't forget to ask the guys to add a pair of tweeters in front (yes, behind the grill is pure emptiness and you can use the factory head unit's amp to do this) and you are looking a completely new sweet sounding system (in my humble opinion that is).

I agree with longhorn. Have tried changing the underseat woofers but in my opinion, the best would be to hookup some freeair woofers on the rear parcel shelf. Which is the route i took. Never looked back.

Board Message

Found this link, very useful.

Hi dlau, how is the reliability of SWS?

Hi Keny, can have some pic of your set up?

Thank you guys.

For my e92, original underseat is a pair of 6.5" woofer, not sure about the e60 tho. As I don't want to lose too much of my boot space, I changed to a pair of Hertz 8" and powered by a Hertz amp. Very big improvement from the stocks :) Good enough for me

So today did the Focal K2 front and one more coaxial at the back. Vast improvement over the stock speakers.

Now the highs are too sharp, and mid is not clear enough. Separation is very good. Bass is fine although not enough punch at high volume.

Looks like I'll need an amp soon for more control.

Today changed again, front and back Focal K2, used Steg K402 to drive them.

I must say now I can differentiate the percussions and much more details.

Still need some more proper bass.....any good ideas for minimal sacrifice of space?

Thanks

Got an email Dav _C? Can email you some pics of my setup.

Finally by today:

Steg K401 for front and back channels, with two pairs of Focal 4" K2.
Steg K201 for the under seat channels, with a pair of Dynaudio MW162.

Next should be a processor or sub.

I think this is problem for all the BMW drivers, why they don't just design it in the first place with 6" on the door? It will be much better save money and time, yet better result.

I have the SWS in place for over a year now and it still sounds great, makes me smile everytime i crank it up :)

Since you already got an amp for the subs, why don't you just swap them out as there's really little downside.

4055070543_a179202cd6_o.jpg

Changed again.

Steg 401 to drive the front Focal K2, and the under seat Dynaudio MW162
Steg 201 to drive the Rockford P3 slim enclosure (really quite thin).
The head unit is driving the rear Focal K2.

So far......not too bad.

My fiance has E90. I am thinking of putting in 6.5" SWS for her, some say 8" DLS can fit as well from some USA forum. Then add a pair of Focal K2. Maybe some Helix amp because it is very thin. She doesn't need deep bass or plays music very loud.

Anyone has experience in this can help to give opinion?

Just put in the following items today for the E90:

Focal K2 Power 4" (Bought used at S$350)
Eathquake SWS 6.5" under the seat (Bought new at S$250 one pair)