E60 Vibration when Idling?!?!

Re: E60 Vibration when Idling?!?!

Slater;503021 said:
btw BMW uses an inline 6 not V6. in terms of smoothness confirm V6 smoother. but why the heck r we talking about smoothness or vibrations here? as though the inline 6 is not smooth enough. the whole point of the inline 6 is to provide power delivery and responsiveness which is the hall mark of BMW.

like u said, if want real smooth get a freakin lexus

Lexus is not freaking but licking smooth...she was from Xian, China...:cloud9:
sorry ..oh..i misunderstood...
my bad..

anyway, this is what wikipedia say "Although it is more complicated and not as smooth as the inline 6, the V6 is more compact, more rigid, and less prone to torsional vibrations in the crankshaft"
so technically, in-line 6 is smoother engine design than V6.
but like i said, BMW is not abt vibration, how foten u have yr car on standstill?
got chance only, whack the pedal liao :laughlik:

kinggo;502568 said:
Did you bring it up to PML?

Mine has vibration and boomy sound when idling regardless of whether transmission is in N, P, D or S and regardless of whether the aircon is on or off. Engine idle rpm is stable.

Apparently, (in Bimmerfest forum), it is actually due to the mounting of the exhaust system and there is a service bulletin to rectify it. Have already made an appointment with PML to bring my car in. My concern is they may brush the it off as NORMAL!

Was hoping to hear from anyone in this forum who has had the problem solved ........

ANYWAY ..... sent my car in to PML. They checked and said the idle speed was too low. Adjusted it and ZERO vibration at idle now. :shakemyb: SUPER!

astrid;502493 said:
Not any more lah! Your knowledge base a bit outdated.

I have both BMW's M54 2.5L IL6 and MB's current M272 V6 3L cars.
The M272 is very refined, even at high RPMs, compared to the M54.

However, I do agree that the MB engines pre-2006 are noisy. Their 4-potters back then were the worst, sounding like diesel engines. But like I say, not any more.

Talking about that, BMW's N43 engine found in the 320i is noisy like hell. No need to rev. Just walk past one on idle ...

Your comparision of M272 against M54 is not fair, try the N52 and you will feel its smoother and idle and when spinning hard.
The 3L M54 found in X5 and 530 are rather coarse compared to the 2.5L M54 and N52 is far smoother which is why your judgement is a little biased - i think la....

I agree with you about the N43 though, SAAB and the 2.2L 4 pot toyota with balancer shaft are far more smoother

I had the vibration at one point in time also, go back PML and its settled.

kinggo;511463 said:
ANYWAY ..... sent my car in to PML. They checked and said the idle speed was too low. Adjusted it and ZERO vibration at idle now. :shakemyb: SUPER!

I had the same problem on my 523 LCI some time back. In fact, the low idle caused the car to stall at the lights. But after they adjusted the idle speed (from 650 to 750), the car was moving way too fast in D or R once I released the brakes and I've got to brake harder to bring it to a stop. Hence, I brought it back and got them to adjust from 750 down to 720 and then to 690. It's better now, but I feel the occasional vibration.

Did you ask them about the service bulletin? It seems to hit the nail on the head. I'll bring this up at my next servicing.

tyche;511689 said:
I had the same problem on my 523 LCI some time back. In fact, the low idle caused the car to stall at the lights. But after they adjusted the idle speed (from 650 to 750), the car was moving way too fast in D or R once I released the brakes and I've got to brake harder to bring it to a stop. Hence, I brought it back and got them to adjust from 750 down to 720 and then to 690. It's better now, but I feel the occasional vibration.

Did you ask them about the service bulletin? It seems to hit the nail on the head. I'll bring this up at my next servicing.

Yup..... printed out the service bulletin on the Exhaust mounting and brought it along to PML. However, after checking the car, they said the vibe was due to the low idle.
ANyhow, after the idle adjust (Looks like around 700rpm now .... previoiusly around 650rpm), no more vibrations..... and I'm totally satisfied.:D

Hey all,

The vibration whilst idling is due to low RPM. The setting on the 5 series is meant for temperate climate, but in Singapore the tropical conditions do not suit the low RPM. Go to PML, they will increase the idle RPM from 550-600 RPM to 650-700 RPM, the car will be very quiet and smooth thereafter. The BMW automotive engineer informed me of this. FC will increase but it's worth it.

Just collected my 525 for few weeks and have the same vibration problem. Can't PML have it tested or adjusted to the right rpm before handling the car over to customer especially we are paying a premium for the car. We don't wish to spend time bringing the car back and forth for service. A bit disappointing with PML comparing to Audi from Premium. Btw i was driving Audi A4 and it has been problem free since day 1. May be i am the unlucky one.

bob&cutie;525839 said:
Just collected my 525 for few weeks and have the same vibration problem. Can't PML have it tested or adjusted to the right rpm before handling the car over to customer especially we are paying a premium for the car. We don't wish to spend time bringing the car back and forth for service. A bit disappointing with PML comparing to Audi from Premium. Btw i was driving Audi A4 and it has been problem free since day 1. May be i am the unlucky one.
was ur 525 an asian aero space unit?

bob&cutie;525839 said:

hi,

Collected my 525 on Thursday, march 11.

No observable vibrations at idling at this time.

Cheers!

bob&cutie;525839 said:

I got my 525 from PML since Nov 09, and till today I do not have any vibration issue. Is yours the APEC & AirShow model?

bob&cutie;525876 said:
nope. mine was not from airshow.
i think its just unfortunate for such a new car. have them rectify the problem by bringing the rpm's up.

just got mine back with the Vanos solenoids replaced.. checking the situation now....

desertfox65;529292 said:
just got mine back with the Vanos solenoids replaced.. checking the situation now....
look out for it in the morning when engne is colder

cold engine is good. vibration is not there. now after driving the whole day: improved response and altho vibration is not completely gone it is much less now

desertfox65;529432 said:
cold engine is good. vibration is not there. now after driving the whole day: improved response and altho vibration is not completely gone it is much less now
i think vibrationless engine only lexus. hehe

ok changed back to Caltex techron and car is now smooth as silk .. no more vibrations, although I replaced air filter and cleand the MAF sensor yesterday. Anyhow the car is back to it original state :)

I collected my 318 on dec and there is vibration on idle and when brake is pressed. although the vibration is not "loud" but it is significant.

I asked PML and they said normal and ask me to drive longer. its been 4 months now and the problem persists. i wonder what i can do?

wccm;530758 said:
I collected my 318 on dec and there is vibration on idle and when brake is pressed. although the vibration is not "loud" but it is significant.

I asked PML and they said normal and ask me to drive longer. its been 4 months now and the problem persists. i wonder what i can do?
go back to same tech guy (not a new one for follow up purpose) and say "look, came 4 months ago and now still same problem, fix it"

pml should have a record if they did take your car in for observation or repair at that time...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back