E66 740 IL Engine Oil Consumption

gusty

Hi guys,

I understand that some engine blocks of BMW does "drink" engine oil but mine is getting a little too much for my comfort. Take for example, I need to top up a litre of oil for every 2000km clocked. My buddy's E65 has not required any top up since he bought it for 1/2 yr whereas mine has been consistently burning up the engine oil. (Take note that his is a 730 while mine is 740)

While I understand the post by R2D previously to explain the oil build up in engines and causing the guy to top up at every 500km, mine is not that bad yet but I do sense something amiss.

I've sent the car for servicing but the mechanics did not detect any oil leaks below the vehicle. :thinking:

Can anyone share their knowledge or experience on this?

Much appreciated.

Gusty

Re: E66 740 IL Engine Oil Consumption

gusty;948495 said:
Hi guys,

I understand that some engine blocks of BMW does "drink" engine oil but mine is getting a little too much for my comfort. Take for example, I need to top up a litre of oil for every 2000km clocked. My buddy's E65 has not required any top up since he bought it for 1/2 yr whereas mine has been consistently burning up the engine oil. (Take note that his is a 730 while mine is 740)

While I understand the post by R2D previously to explain the oil build up in engines and causing the guy to top up at every 500km, mine is not that bad yet but I do sense something amiss.

I've sent the car for servicing but the mechanics did not detect any oil leaks below the vehicle. :thinking:

Can anyone share their knowledge or experience on this?

Much appreciated.

Gusty

My 740 does not require any topup even after 7000km

Gusty, did ur mechanic check ur Oil Separator Valve?

MW;948519 said:
Gusty, did ur mechanic check ur Oil Separator Valve?

I doubt so, they just checked the engine case to see if there was any leaks and noticed none. You had experienced with the Oil Separator valve before?

Last time I brought it to MBM because it was one of the 2 authorized workshop but kind of disappointed with their lack of solution.

Maybe shd bring down to some of the regular workshop on my own to sort this one out.

I didn't but last time my friend's E46 had this problem

MW;948587 said:
I didn't but last time my friend's E46 had this problem

Ok, will be one of the areas I ask the mechanic to look out for.

Thanks MW.

gutsy, i had this error message recently as well and had workshop top up engine oil. I was a bit surprised as the car had just gone for servicing and there were no leaks. So far error message has not popped up since then but still monitoring. Never had this issue before on my previous 730Li though, wondering why this one is so thirsty.

yogi_lite;952108 said:
gutsy, i had this error message recently as well and had workshop top up engine oil. I was a bit surprised as the car had just gone for servicing and there were no leaks. So far error message has not popped up since then but still monitoring. Never had this issue before on my previous 730Li though, wondering why this one is so thirsty.

Hi yogi lite,

Hopefully your problem was just a one off case. Nothing popped up recently? A mechanic recommended I don't use 0w40 engine oil and use a 5w40 or 5w50 but I doubt it will clear the problem, probably just last a little longer as the viscosity is slightly thicker.

Been away and haven't been driving much. Will be bringing the car in for servicing v soon, will try to ask them to troubleshoot then.

If ya interested, will keep u updated if there is any findings.

Happy new yr guys and HUAT AH!!!!

I am not sure about E66 engine, my E90 do experience low oil warning light every 2000Km. No sign of engine oil leak when doing serving at MA, eventually was diagnosed with bad engine oil seal. The Missing engine oil went into the cylinder and burn off into the enviroment...

Place the vehicle in park or neutral with the emergency brake set. Start the engine and let it warm to normal operating temperature. Rev the engine a few times and look back at the exhaust tailpipe. If you notice any blue/gray smoke exiting the tailpipe, it can indicate excessive oil consumption, caused by worn or defective oil seals. Copious amounts of such smoke can also point to worn valve guides and stems, in addition to bad seals. however, it is common to see white exhaust smoke when first starting a car, especially in the morning.

Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray smoke at startup because oil leaks past the seals into the cylinder after the engine shut down.

View attachment 47236

viperjet;955355 said:
I am not sure about E66 engine, my E90 do experience low oil warning light every 2000Km. No sign of engine oil leak when doing serving at MA, eventually was diagnosed with bad engine oil seal. The Missing engine oil went into the cylinder and burn off into the enviroment...

Place the vehicle in park or neutral with the emergency brake set. Start the engine and let it warm to normal operating temperature. Rev the engine a few times and look back at the exhaust tailpipe. If you notice any blue/gray smoke exiting the tailpipe, it can indicate excessive oil consumption, caused by worn or defective oil seals. Copious amounts of such smoke can also point to worn valve guides and stems, in addition to bad seals. however, it is common to see white exhaust smoke when first starting a car, especially in the morning.

Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray smoke at startup because oil leaks past the seals into the cylinder after the engine shut down.

View attachment 47236

Interesting.... Will check it out when I return.

Thanks brother.

For a few years, i never had to top up any engine oil for my E65. In the 7th year of the car, I had to top up about a litre of engine oil every 6 - 7 k km of driving. After which, I found out that there was a gasket leak, which was repaired by Performance (few thousand bucks, but I guess for engine issues, i rather go back to Performance). I think they did a decent job. No leak detected after. However, I still have to top up a litre every 6k.

A friend recommended HKS Technical Factory to do an engine flush. I gave it a try, and will keep you guys updated to see if it helps consumption though. Did an engine oil change with them as well. Engine flush is about 300+ and the oil change (8L: used 6.5L and i bought the extra 1.5L for top up if necessary) was about 350 after gst. Other places and Performance (with the latest engine oil packages) are cheaper for oil change, but HKS at Tagore came highly recommended by friends, so I am giving them a try.

Sounds very similar to my problem. I will be bringing car to 1 of the BMW workshops (not PML) and ask them for their recommendation. But mine seems more severe, about 2000km and a top up. Sometimes can go further without topping up.

Anyway, I tried to look at the exhaust gas as per what Viperjet was describing but I couldn't see any colours in the gas.... :( but I did smell a lot of exhaust gas while trying this... Cough cough. Hehehe, I guess old cars have their problems. If I find the root cause, I'll be sure to update you guys.

gusty;955350 said:
LL1 Mobil, 0w40. Any advice?

When I use ow40 then 4000 to 5000 km top up 1 litre for my e60

Then change to 5w50 became 6000 to 7000 km top up one litre

i had nv top up engine oil for my car before , but my recent 100k servicing i need to change spark plugs, whn i remove my old spark plug thn i found out there is a oil leak in 2 of the spark plug chamber , and is due to the top gasket. but from out side of the engine there is no sight of leak at all, and each time i chk my i-drive for engine oil level is alway ok. could it be due to this, that why need to top up engine oil?

I just got my car back from the workshop as the warning came on again and I definitely clocked less than 2k mileage since the last top up. Workshop (not PML) replaced some seals but I cannot remember what they replaced coz I am quite lousy at these technical aspects. If problem persist, it could point to more severe engine problems so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sin88bar
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back