E90 318 with 335 engine mounts

Re: E90 318 with 335 engine mounts

pbear1973;580261 said:
Haha ya! I checked with Ron (always called him Rod!! :oooops: ), and the price is still within reach of my fast-depleting mods fund.. :D

swee swee

MTL
cheers

in my previous jap ride, when the engine mount was due for replacement, i upgraded it to aftermarket engine mount (ie: jap tuner). it was not very costly then, so i gave it a try. i was told the engine will be steady poom pi pi (no shaking). it never occurred to me that there was a physic behind it that preventing loss of "torque" (no wonder jap tuner do this in tuning the jap ride for racing)

pbear1973;580259 said:
I think the problem is that the stock mounts are not stiff enough and some engine torque is wasted as the engine twists on its mounts. With the stiffer 335 mounts engine stays "locked" and the torque is sent completely to the tranny and drive shaft.

By mods standards, they're not very expensive in any case, and this isn't the first good review I've read, so I will probably give it a try together with their "infamous ignition upgrade'.

Last edited by a moderator:

pbear1973;580259 said:
I think the problem is that the stock mounts are not stiff enough and some engine torque is wasted as the engine twists on its mounts. With the stiffer 335 mounts engine stays "locked" and the torque is sent completely to the tranny and drive shaft.

By mods standards, they're not very expensive in any case, and this isn't the first good review I've read, so I will probably give it a try together with their "infamous ignition upgrade'.

+1. Just some thoughts based on what I what was shown to me on my previous SAAB by the techs there -

Pop your hood
Start engine
Step on the brakes completely and engage the handbrakes
Engage first gear
Rev to 1.5 - 2k
Check out how much your engine is bobbing up and down versus a new car

If your engine is physically bobbing like quite a bit (becuase the engine has sunken in due to the worn mounts) then this should mean everytime you step on the accelerator, instead of delivering the power to the transmission, the engine would twist to a point then it start delivering. I guess in a stop / start traffic situation, it might feel sluggish (and not to mention the irritating vibrations even during idle....)

So with the harder mounts you get

- Less twist wihch implies more efficient power delivery
- More vibrations than a brand new stock car (but less vibrations compared to an old stock car with worn mounts)

I think over-speced engine mounts are worth only if the car is old or tracked often so you would need to replace the mounts anyway. And if you doing it, you might as well include the transmission mounts (manual) or gearbox mounts (automatics).

wt_know;580263 said:
in my previous jap ride, when the engine mount was due for replacement, i upgraded it to aftermarket engine mount (ie: jap tuner). it was not very costly then, so i gave it a try. i was told the engine will be steady poom pi pi (no shaking). it never occurred to me that there was a physic behind it that preventing loss of "torque" (no wonder jap tuner do this in tuning the jap ride for racing)

Was there any difference after you replaced? :D

Red_Bean_Bun;580264 said:
+1. Just some thoughts based on what I what was shown to me on my previous SAAB by the techs there -

Pop your hood
Start engine
Engage first gear
Rev to 1.5 - 2k

If your engine is physically bobbing like quite a bit (becuase the engine has sunken in due to the worn mounts) then this should mean everytime you step on the accelerator, instead of delivering the power to the transmission, the engine would twist to a point then it start delivering. I guess in a stop / start traffic situation, it might feel sluggish (and not to mention the irritating vibrations even during idle....)

- More vibrations than a brand new stock car (but less vibrations compared to an old stock car with worn mounts)

I think over-speced engine mounts are worth only if the car is old or tracked often so you would need to replace the mounts anyway. And if you doing it, you might as well include the transmission mounts (manual) or gearbox mounts (automatics).

Very tempting but will be really ex if I changed all of it. But agreed though because the 335 mounts save twisting in the engine bay, but not the rest of the power train.

Base on Jap car experiences, stiffer engine mounts = less flex = better mechanical movements = transfering vibration to chassis.

However air filter insulations help channel warm air away, & colder air to air box.
Air boxes are always the best, in Asia.
Definately channeling cooler air is great.
But wonder how it looks like, & the price tag...
Care to share?

Go to r2d sponsor site and see the image. Frankly, visually it's so so . Nothing like those aftermkt brands. But the the price to me is very fair and drive is very good.

Red_Bean_Bun;580264 said:

Pop your hood
Start engine
Engage first gear
Rev to 1.5 - 2k

Well said.

FYI, Engine & GB mounting on my E39 520 lasted 8 yrs or 150k km.

pbear1973;580259 said:

+1
harder mountings rocks

can i assume the critical part to replace is the 'rubber' mounting and not the 'entire' engine mount components right unless the part is found to be giving way ?

wt_know;580465 said:
can i assume the critical part to replace is the 'rubber' mounting and not the 'entire' engine mount components right unless the part is found to be giving way ?

Correct. Just the rubber mount.

Just did mine today - and fortunately I did. Apparently my mounts are not only worn but it have both collasped - compressed to the point that the top part has sunken in (check out the top part of both mounts in the picture).
Relative to a new mount, the worn mounts are flatter by about 3-4cm. If you look at the pictures of the 2 old mount - you will also see that one side is more compressed than the other by quite a bit. So the engine was actually sitting twisted to one side all this while.

And how is it after the replacement - its like a blast to the past. Feels literally just like when it was out of the showroom ions ago.
It was doing what it was suppose to do. Hesitation is no longer obvious, the revving is linear and more importantly, the low-end power deliver is more to the point - Crispy. Vibrations minimized.

Though I've used the firmer M mounts for this change - This is definitely not one of those "Power" mods where you would be raving about performance etc. I would say this is more like a "Blast-to-the-showroom-past" mod.

Along the way I've upgraded my transmission mounts to the M ones as well.

Solid...............

mod is the way to go ya
cheers

Red_Bean_Bun;580629 said:
Though I've used the firmer M mounts for this change - This is definitely not one of those "Power" mods where you would be raving about performance etc. I would say this is more like a "Blast-to-the-showroom-past" mod.

Nice! Are the gear changes smoother also? I read that firmer mounts result in better gear changes in another forum.

in e90post.com you can see many non M (ie: 328/330/335) upgraded their parts particularly mounting and bushing to M version.
does M version always deliver better result for non M car because the car is not configured up to M high performance demands (ie: over spec for non M)
i assume most of these parts are not cost prohibitive that resulting many users want to do it :D

Red_Bean_Bun;580629 said:
Just did mine today - and fortunately I did. Apparently my mounts are not only worn but it have both collasped - compressed to the point that the top part has sunken in (check out the top part of both mounts in the picture).
Relative to a new mount, the worn mounts are flatter by about 3-4cm. If you look at the pictures of the 2 old mount - you will also see that one side is more compressed than the other by quite a bit. So the engine was actually sitting twisted to one side all this while.

And how is it after the replacement - its like a blast to the past. Feels literally just like when it was out of the showroom ions ago.
It was doing what it was suppose to do. Hesitation is no longer obvious, the revving is linear and more importantly, the low-end power deliver is more to the point - Crispy. Vibrations minimized.

You sure they did not add "more power"?

pengful;580662 said:
You sure they did not add "more power"?

Its definitely smoother & more rigid - from the way the engine starts (popped the bonnet and saw that it stopped rocking quite a bit) to the way it revs - its more linear. Quite gradual.

The engine pitch changed slightly. But power wise - about the same.

pbear1973;580653 said:
Nice! Are the gear changes smoother also? I read that firmer mounts result in better gear changes in another forum.

After examining those M transmission mounts - It is really much stiffer than the stock ones. I expected some vibrations but it actually felt fine. The ride feels smoother. I used to have this jerk when I rev then brake then rev again in SD mode. Did not encounter that jerk after the changes.

Red_Bean_Bun;580709 said:
After examining those M transmission mounts - It is really much stiffer than the stock ones. I expected some vibrations but it actually felt fine. The ride feels smoother. I used to have this jerk when I rev then brake then rev again in SD mode. Did not encounter that jerk after the changes.

Sweet! I'm going to call Nadia tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. :D

it could be very good for worn out mounts or old car but your car is still very new leh.
but if itchy better scratch hor ... if not itchy for this there will be other parts itchy for scratch
MTL ! :D ... remember to post some pix for us yeah

pbear1973;580710 said:
Sweet! I'm going to call Nadia tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. :D

wt_know;580712 said:
it could be very good for worn out mounts or old car but your car is still very new leh.
but if itchy better scratch hor ... if not itchy for this there will be other parts itchy for scratch
MTL ! :D ... remember to post some pix for us yeah

Haha no problem. Think last time I asked Rod he say got difference. Anyway i also want to do the ignition upgrade..

Damn poison man.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bet88institute

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back