E90 320 ECU Tuning

jylam

HI guys,
I've been talking to 2 workshops about ECU tuning for E90 320 (J_C and B_O) Apparently, they charge about the same price but the claimed HP gained defers by 5 horses. (15 vs 10 respectively). If I simply opt for the one with higher HP gain, it'll be a easy decision to make but with the consideration of the actual HP gain(not just claim), Torque and everything else, it not so simple.

So, may i ask those who have done ECU tuning at these worhshops to share their view. Thanks.

Re: E90 320 ECU Tuning

Not so easy, bro. I am sure both can show you improvement but the HP gains will be different for different individual cars. Even if two 320s go in to the same workshop, both may come out with different gains. Also, the peak numbers are sometimes not impressive but you can notice that the power and torque curves are higher for a larger part of the rev band so you will feel that the car is more responsive through a larger rev band. So in the end, its who you are more comfortable with. Hope this helps.

Had an e46 320i before and can tell you from my experience that lower displacement engines gives you hardly any gains and such gains, are not worth the money, given the output. Of course no harm trying but honestly, its not worth it. And with the E90 320i being a 4 cylinder engine, you may not get as much as what you hear.

Sting;214604 said:
Not so easy, bro. I am sure both can show you improvement but the HP gains will be different for different individual cars. Even if two 320s go in to the same workshop, both may come out with different gains. Also, the peak numbers are sometimes not impressive but you can notice that the power and torque curves are higher for a larger part of the rev band so you will feel that the car is more responsive through a larger rev band. So in the end, its who you are more comfortable with. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. So more torque over larger rav band is better than merely HP gain.

elmariachi;214665 said:
Had an e46 320i before and can tell you from my experience that lower displacement engines gives you hardly any gains and such gains, are not worth the money, given the output. Of course no harm trying but honestly, its not worth it. And with the E90 320i being a 4 cylinder engine, you may not get as much as what you hear.
Ya i understand the gain for 4 cyc engine will be small. But will it be so bad that it's like a waste of time? I talked to James aka smoobies and he recomd it. But for him, he has 1000 different mods in his car hence better HP and torque :)

Anyway, has any bro here has done ecu tuning at J4C or BVO? Good? Bad?

jylam;215020 said:
Ya i understand the gain for 4 cyc engine will be small. But will it be so bad that it's like a waste of time? I talked to James aka smoobies and he recomd it. But for him, he has 1000 different mods in his car hence better HP and torque :)

Anyway, has any bro here has done ecu tuning at J4C or BVO? Good? Bad?

Go to BVO. They got the recipes for your 320i. Their ECU flash is more comprehensive than teh ones J4C offer as J4C uploads only a standard map on the car. BVO tunes and tweaks the ECU. Get the coil booster and amplifier. That will make a difference. With the ECU and the coil booster/amplifer, i'd say its worthwhile.

BVO's tuning and tweaking sounds better, I agree with you. Thanks man.

What's coil booster/amplifer? HOw does it help?

Glad you found the your answers. Yup but what you mentioned is also true, you gotta get most of your mods done before tuning. Eg if you going to change exhaust or intake (Gruppe M) etc. Then Bernard can tune to get the max from the engine. Cheers! Hope you enjoy it.

elmariachi;215033 said:
Go to BVO. They got the recipes for your 320i. Their ECU flash is more comprehensive than teh ones J4C offer as J4C uploads only a standard map on the car. BVO tunes and tweaks the ECU. Get the coil booster and amplifier. That will make a difference. With the ECU and the coil booster/amplifer, i'd say its worthwhile.

that's inaccurate info. J4C doesn't only have the hiop programme upgrades, there's a tuner you can talk to: Rhommel from Juzz for Power.

my advice to the original thread starter is this: whichever workshop you call, speak to the person who's actually tuning your car to find out exactly what can or cannot be done; don't waste your time with sales managers who only know how to parrot what they've been told.

I have been to both workshops and spoken to both Bernard and Rommel. Both are very knowledgeable and they have all the right answers = >10% increase in power, more driveable, PML won't find out, no long term damage and depending on driver, may even improve fuel consumption. IMHO one workshop is more customer friendly and personal, while the other has more high tech equipment. Still can't decide that's why I am following this thread closely and hope to find an answer from the shifus in the forum.

louis;216001 said:
that's inaccurate info. J4C doesn't only have the hiop programme upgrades, there's a tuner you can talk to: Rhommel from Juzz for Power.

my advice to the original thread starter is this: whichever workshop you call, speak to the person who's actually tuning your car to find out exactly what can or cannot be done; don't waste your time with sales managers who only know how to parrot what they've been told.
Thanks for the info. Didnt know there's Juzz for Power and a specialized tuner. Will call him for a chat soon. I've talked to Bernard and was impressed by his knowledge in tuning.

Deadkookaburra;216206 said:
imho - 4 pot + NA ...save yr $
care to elaborate what's NA? Do u hava a 4 pot engine and have done a ecu tuning and...after all the work done....u found that it's a waste of money? Or based on hear say, u think it's a waste of money :)

Sting;215993 said:
Glad you found the your answers. Yup but what you mentioned is also true, you gotta get most of your mods done before tuning. Eg if you going to change exhaust or intake (Gruppe M) etc. Then Bernard can tune to get the max from the engine. Cheers! Hope you enjoy it.
I intend to install an exhaust, probably sebring or something. Not so much for the power but for sound. It's good to know that i shld install it b4 ecu tuning with BVO. Thnks bro.

jylam;216442 said:
care to elaborate what's NA? Do u hava a 4 pot engine and have done a ecu tuning and...after all the work done....u found that it's a waste of money? Or based on hear say, u think it's a waste of money :)

NA=Not Applicable:) So hes telling u to save yr $$:lol2:

Ahbengdriver;216511 said:
NA=Not Applicable:) So hes telling u to save yr $$:lol2:
Thanks Brother Beng,
I understand what NA means and appreciate his kind intention of telling me to save $. However I'm wondering if he made that statement based on his own experience, or he has tried it and thot it's not worth the money or simply, based on what he gathered from what read or worse, what others told him. I'm juz curious.

Someone can spent thousands for a few HP gain and thinks it's money well spent but others might think it's crap. It' s very easy to make a statement by saying this tire is crap and that air intake is excellent but what realy benefits to our fellow forumers is responsible recommendation based on his own experience or true findings.

Having said all these, I really appreciate your well documentated rim upgrade, lower suspension and the excellent look on yr ride because u tried it and i trust u :)

Glad to know that u go with bvo.... Bernard is one of the few that seriously into tuning business and after sales service. I had used his flashing software and was encountering hell check light problem, thinking is his tuning all the while. Finally he requested me to put down my car at his disposal for 3 days.

He will troubleshoot 4 me, it all too damn coincidence, bernard mother in law, passed away that time...Deepest condolence to him... But after 3 days he lived up to his words and handed me back my car in great conditions and no check lights. Just the damn o2 sensor got faulty.

Many thanks BVO guys

Wah, that's top class professionalism. Bravo to BVO.

How's the result after doing the flashing?

jylam;216442 said:

naturally aspirated engine. previous 4 pot engine (not bmw) after reflash...well ok can feel gain but nothing to shout about. very quicky butt feel got numb to effect and felt indifferent much sooner. dunno ecu relearn or not cant confirm.

Just my opinion...its important that the tuner understands how the BMW engine works. Together with his tuning knowledge...everything will be right.

Just being a good tuner ain't good enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back