E90 320 Uncomfotable Ride

Ikhhome

Recently got my e90 320 and I found the ride is very hard. It comes with Standard 16' run flat tyres and the road feedback is very clear (that also means very tired arms). Went to PML and done the absorber check etc. They claimed everything is ok. They lower the tyre pressure to 210 front and 230 rear, it improved a bit. But the overall ride is still very umcomfortable, for example, especially over the hump or even the yellow line.

Any bros can help to provide some advice on this? Should I consider to change the tyres? Any good recommendation for tyres shops?

Thanks

Re: E90 320 Uncomfotable Ride

Ikhhome;137031 said:
Recently got my e90 320 and I found the ride is very hard. It comes with Standard 16' run flat tyres and the road feedback is very clear (that also means very tired arms). Went to PML and done the absorber check etc. They claimed everything is ok. They lower the tyre pressure to 210 front and 230 rear, it improved a bit. But the overall ride is still very umcomfortable, for example, especially over the hump or even the yellow line.

Any bros can help to provide some advice on this? Should I consider to change the tyres? Any good recommendation for tyres shops?

Thanks

When compared to 'normal' tires, run-flats will feel a lot harder (regardless of tire pressure)... your best bet is to change the entire set of run-flats, to 'normal' tires... and to have some piece of mind, should you get a flat, buy and carry with you a 'tire-inflator/sealer kit' like an Air-Man or something... you can even buy additional bottles of 'sealant', for added reassurance... an added benefit of the Air-Man is that it can also work as an independent electric air pump, and you won't even need to run to a gas station to check your tires pressure... I've been using this piece of kit for over a year now, and have bought 3 sets since... Good stuff...

Tire-shops should be able to give you some decent money for trading in your set of run-flats, and you'll wind up paying close-to-nothing for a 'normal' set of tires...

For info on Air-man, you can look at Site Sponsors section... or look around if u prefer other brands...

Cheers...

lkhhome, let me share with you my experience. my ride is 1.5 mths old. I ditched the RFTs/rims for a set of 18" plus non RFTs because the ride of the RFTs are very diff from normal tyres. (been having Jap rides so I know the diff instantly). Besides, the stock rims/tyres are very heavy. For starters, you may like to exchange your RFTs for some normal tyres such as GR80s or Energy. Can bet cha it will ride smoother and quieter, if you wanna go down that route. Play around with tyre pressure, normally about 200 to 210 for front and 220 to 230 for rear. Just my 2 cents...and hope that helps,cheers.

Thanks Foolman700 and KL88 for very valuable advice. I am seriously thinking to change the tires and which shop is highly recommended?

I will follow the following steps:-

(1) Change to 17", non- RF tires, (aim for comfortable ride and price is reasonable).

(2) Ask the shop to trade in my RF set.

(3) Buy the Airman and sealant etc.

Any other things I need to pay special attention?

Should I keep the original rim?

Thanks again.

Ikhhome;137051 said:
Thanks Foolman700 and KL88 for very valuable advice. I am seriously thinking to change the tires and which shop is highly recommended?

(1) Change to 17", non- RF tires, (aim for comfortable ride and price is reasonable).

Thanks again.

I would recommend but maybe not so nice in the public forum.... PM me if you interested....

As for the change of rims, YES.... change those damn things......

bro, 17" reasonable and price and FC should be slightly better. Normally, the whole RTF/rims combo from PML would costs many times more than what you could get from your trade-in. My advise is if you can afford to keep it, then keep it for use next time. You'll never know.

I have done exactly what you described at Hurry Tires. Changed to 17' replica rims, GoodYear F1 tires (225/45/17) - made in Thailand though. They took in the OEM set and I purchased the Airman. Fuel concumption remains very much the same, maybe a little better despite the bigger rims bacause the OEM and runflat are very heavy. The ride is MUCH better than before and you will love it. Overall damage is less than 2k. My ride is a e90 320i. Hope that this helps.

Ikhhome;137051 said:

Thanks again.

Disclaimer:
If I'm not supposed to post names of business, moderators, pls let me know and I won't...

I've been going to Hurry Tire (Bt Timah Rd) for some time now, and am happy with them...
They aren't necessarily the cheapest in SG, but their prices are competitive enough and for sure they don't rip pple off... friendly bunch of pple too... :)

I bought my Air Man sets from Juzzforcar... buy additional bottle of sealant for added reassurance... ;)

Cheers! 8)

wahaha.. din know our conti runflats still worth $$.. may i know roughly how much tyre shops take them in at? thanx in advance!

kl88;137039 said:
When compared to 'normal' tires, run-flats will feel a lot harder (regardless of tire pressure)... your best bet is to change the entire set of run-flats, to 'normal' tires... and to have some piece of mind, should you get a flat, buy and carry with you a 'tire-inflator/sealer kit' like an Air-Man or something... you can even buy additional bottles of 'sealant', for added reassurance... an added benefit of the Air-Man is that it can also work as an independent electric air pump, and you won't even need to run to a gas station to check your tires pressure... I've been using this piece of kit for over a year now, and have bought 3 sets since... Good stuff...

Tire-shops should be able to give you some decent money for trading in your set of run-flats, and you'll wind up paying close-to-nothing for a 'normal' set of tires...

For info on Air-man, you can look at Site Sponsors section... or look around if u prefer other brands...

Cheers...

hi lkhhome,

i went to this shop at killiney road, chin wah tires to change my ride from original 17 + RFT (new) to a twd made 18' and Goodyear F1 (225/40/18) ...i top up 1k for it...i thk its a decent deal tho :) and my 2 cents opinion is... at the moment, the noise is relatively quiet and ride is smooth. Look for chee peng (owner i thk) is a friendly dude....hope it helps :)

Tks guys.... the Air man is sth dats missing rite now...gonna get it b4 kena haha

Cheers
2one2two

Kenzo;137273 said:
wahaha.. din know our conti runflats still worth $$.. may i know roughly how much tyre shops take them in at? thanx in advance!

Yeah... not bcos they are great things to have, but purely bcos they are so darned expensive in the first place, and there are still people who will want to replace their RFTs (for whatever reason) with RFTs...

I can say this... everyone who I've recommended to change their RFTs to regular tires, have never been able to thank me enough there after...

Just remember to have some form of tire-repair-kit handy... else my 'thank you' will become a 'cuss'... :p

Oops.. almost forgot... sorry, can't tell you what your RFTs are worth, cos I've never (thankfully) been in a position where I've had to trade in RFTs personally.. but I guess the amount is also dependent on how much wear your tires have... Go down to Hurry and have a chat with them... you can tell them your 'requirements' for a tire, your driving style.. and they'll recommend you an appropriate set...

Cheers!

thanx! traded in the runflats for bridgestones, w minimal topup. :D

kl88;137462 said:
Yeah... not bcos they are great things to have, but purely bcos they are so darned expensive in the first place, and there are still people who will want to replace their RFTs (for whatever reason) with RFTs...

I can say this... everyone who I've recommended to change their RFTs to regular tires, have never been able to thank me enough there after...

Just remember to have some form of tire-repair-kit handy... else my 'thank you' will become a 'cuss'... :p

Oops.. almost forgot... sorry, can't tell you what your RFTs are worth, cos I've never (thankfully) been in a position where I've had to trade in RFTs personally.. but I guess the amount is also dependent on how much wear your tires have... Go down to Hurry and have a chat with them... you can tell them your 'requirements' for a tire, your driving style.. and they'll recommend you an appropriate set...

Cheers!

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back