E90 320i: replacing transmission

shaun_yu

My car is pretty new and PML has diagnosed that I need to replace the transmission as the way the car drives is not "right". Something about the adaptation going off. I have dug the internet to find out more about the ZF transmission and it seems that the electronics that controls the hydraulics that does the gear shifting is all house within the transmission body itself. I don't really want to share the details but suffice to say my SA is very helpful. Has anyone had this done to his car?

Re: E90 320i: replacing transmission

Hi pal,

Sad to hear that when this happen in a new car.

From what I know, a replacement tranny is always a 're-conditioned' tranny, meaning 'used' but changed all internal parts to new.

Please check with your SA if that's true. :)

Errr... Actually I would be more than willing to let PML change it for me as long as it's FOC under warranty. I don't htink you really need to worry about it at all.

How old the car? Makes me think twice on the E90 320i as can see many threads of problems for this car.

They SA informed me that they will need 2 weeks to order the tranny in. Not so sure as in whether this is a conditioned one or new. Maybe I will find out from my SA. So long as PML provides the relevant warranty, I guess it is ok. My car exhibits some sort of problem intermittently since day one and that was half a year ago. Perhaps I was unlucky then.

Can you share what kind of problem you experienced so we can keep a lookout on ours too?

Lets just say my car doesn't drive like it consistently should. I am still waiting for the parts to be shipped in to exact the replacement. For the record, I am not very confident it will actually solve my car's problem since PML was pretty clueless from start (they appears to be), trying this and that until they got this German engineer's opinion. Frankly, I am not sure what transpired during their tests too since the tester will almost always say nothing is wrong and I have been pestering them to check the transmission. I really do wish this replacement will resolve all my issues with the driveability of the car. Hopefully I am the unique one and I sincerely do not want similar faith to befall any of the bros here. I will probably report back after the replacement. Hopefully, things will turn up a ok.

Hi guys n gals,

just gotten back my car. PML only took 2 days to replace my transmission, steering column (steering lock issue) and fix some rattling caused by the rear safety belt anchor. They also reprogrammed the software with the latest. All in all, quite please with their efficiency in this. Also requested the service mgr and German in-house engineer to test. According to my SA, they tested last night and gave the green light to hand-over. So far, only drove from there to work, a short ride so can't say much except it does feel different but not by a whole lot. Also this morning when I inserted the key fob, no more "grrrr" sound as the steering lock unlocked :) Will drive it more over the weekend and hopefully this woe is over for good. By the way, stevenwu is right that the tranny is a refurbished one; old housing with new innards. Before I end here, must say my SA has been most helpful, trying to get loan car and making things happened etc. At least she doesn't tell me my problems are "normal" and hence nothing to fix.

Merry Xmas to all :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebai799com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back