E90 320i - Transmission jerky when slowing

shaun_yu

Hi owners of 320i,

do you experience jerks when slowing down to a stop from a slow cruise. What I mean is when you ease off the gas pedal, you feel the down shifts and the car jerks. I get this when surmounting the slope near my home. As I ease off the gas pedal to apply brakes, I get these jerks. It also can happen during stop-and-go traffic situation where you have to accelerate(slowly) a very short gap and brake. Any advice? My car has only 700+ km.

Rgds,
Shaun

Re: E90 320i - Transmission jerky when slowing

i did felt the same issue mention. PML CSA told me to leave the car for them for some firmware updates or reprogram stuff. the car came back smooth again. but mine was about 30,000+KM when it happens.

How long did the reprogramming takes? My SA asked me to drive down to get someone to test it. Hopefully is just a minor programming thing :)

one whole long day. I send in early in the morning by 8:30 am collect it at the end of the evening 5:30pm. yes normal, they will arrange a CSA to do test drive, from there they will recommend if the issues if serious.

Got them to test it this morning. Could not duplicate issue. Maybe the jerks while slowing could be due to the brake assist. The SA told me only the newer models have this. He did a system scan and found no issues. Perhaps it is my driving style. Have been having problem to adjust to it after driving a Jap car for so long :(

shaun_yu;312401 said:
Got them to test it this morning. Could not duplicate issue. Maybe the jerks while slowing could be due to the brake assist. The SA told me only the newer models have this. He did a system scan and found no issues. Perhaps it is my driving style. Have been having problem to adjust to it after driving a Jap car for so long :(

My E90 320 also has jerky problem. I experience it mainly on slope or when driving up car park ramp and at low speed. SA also did a "scan" said nothing wrong.

From the search at this forum, I notice many others also have this problem. It shouldn't be our driving style. It is the car, but problem is that it is difficult to demonstrate the issue as it occurs intermittently.

How you resolve your problem? Can some advice how to resolve? Thks

my E90 323 also have this prob since day 1, been told it's due to the brake assist when u ease off gas pedal too fast.

I used to get this too while pressing gas immediately in start stop conditions or cold start, car will jerk & lurch foward. So i usually let the car roll abit by itself before pressing gas pedal. but I never experience what U experienced on hill.

Some update. I brought my car in today to complain about this and also the rear rattle sound. The assistance tested my car but say normal. But he did notice the rattle and say it is from the door. Due to some aging of the plastic which creaks under flexing. So they fix all the doors just in case. But there was a recall note on my job sheet and apparently, the service interval was to be adjusted and they did a reprogramming. So I waited till almost 7pm to collect my car. But am I glad the car now feels and drives better :) I need to drive a few days to see how things are. Also gone are the loud engine idle and vibrations when I drove home.

And then, some bad things must accompany the good ones. This stupid lorry slided backwards at the traffic junction and banged into my front despite me horning him like crazy. I was stunned when he pulled away. I immediately gave chase, horned him like crazy and stopped him 50 metres later at another traffic light. He claimed he did not hear it or feel it and agrees to pay for the damages. Then now, he wanted me to file for insurance claim and refuses to answer my call or sms until I threatened him by saying he did a hit and run which may lend him into trouble. Later at home, I surveyed the damages and the bulk of the force was soaked up by the nose ridge. There were some scratches and the nose ridge cave-in about 3mm or so judging from the top of the nostril plastic trimmings. The boot lip above it was slight scratched too but nothing obvious.

I think I need to file for a police report and the insurance report tml at PML alexandra in case he claims against me. How come nowadays ppl are so dishonest and cannot live up to their mistakes. Any comments and suggestions? Sibeh suay.

Rgds,
Shaun

Bro Shaun,

I recommend you file the case immediately with the police and your insurance company. If he is not answering yr call or sms after he promised to pay for the damage, it means trouble is brewing!!

Do the report now!!

The rule of thumb is biased against those who sustain front damage. I hope you have a witness. If not, it's your report against his. Changes are, you are liable (50% or more) for the claim against you.

shaun_yu;312401 said:

Is not a driving problem, programming not refine and upon feedback den they will rectify.
It is easy to simulate the jeck. Drive your car till it upshifted till 3rd gear and slow down by applying brake, during the slow down, observe the L/100KM guage, it will climb to 20L/100KM, when this happen, stop ur ride immediately but gently and the jecky and lurch forward will happen.

Derrrick Yap;627154 said:
Is not a driving problem, programming not refine and upon feedback den they will rectify.
It is easy to simulate the jeck. Drive your car till it upshifted till 3rd gear and slow down by applying brake, during the slow down, observe the L/100KM guage, it will climb to 20L/100KM, when this happen, stop ur ride immediately but gently and the jecky and lurch forward will happen.

I hv the same experience! FC climbed to 20L/100km might due to gear dropping to lower 3-2-1. If you are observance, you might see after climbing to 20L/100km, it will somehow drop to 1/2 way pt or lower. if u stop yr car @ this pt, u can get min or no jerk. I wonder will the engine die whn come to emergency stop.
No jerk=stop moderately

chinweyngee;627220 said:
I hv the same experience! FC climbed to 20L/100km might due to gear dropping to lower 3-2-1. If you are observance, you might see after climbing to 20L/100km, it will somehow drop to 1/2 way pt or lower. if u stop yr car @ this pt, u can get min or no jerk. I wonder will the engine die whn come to emergency stop.
No jerk=stop moderately

Yes, thats right. If you control it well during the slow down, it actually will minimise or jeck free.
Engine will not stall. I have tried.

Derrrick Yap;627415 said:
Yes, thats right. If you control it well during the slow down, it actually will minimise or jeck free.
Engine will not stall. I have tried.

In addition, If you are in manual mode, the down shift will only drop till M2 and not all the way to M1.

pathfinder;333644 said:
the rule of thumb is biased against those who sustain front damage. I hope you have a witness. If not, it's your report against his. Changes are, you are liable (50% or more) for the claim against you.

+1 ...................

I heard that BVO does gearbox programming as well... Does anyone know if it is the same as what PML's programs? I've the, jerking effect also and since im out of warranty, i'm thinking it might be faster for me to go to BVO.

leekokshiong;627517 said:
I heard that BVO does gearbox programming as well... Does anyone know if it is the same as what PML's programs? I've the, jerking effect also and since im out of warranty, i'm thinking it might be faster for me to go to BVO.

I think software upgrade. Only PML can do.

Gearbox software programming. I heard Boss also can do. The expert at Boss told me got 4 type of software gearbox change condition for E90. More torque or less torque which will translate to the jerk or not.

But it will also depend whether your ride got hardware fault or not. Must do diagnostic first.

Already book appointment with them. But the expert balik kampung. Will only come back after 2 weeks.

If you got it done at BVO and manage to fix the problem. Let us know.

Cheers.

saharalah;627574 said:

Gearbox software programming. I heard Boss also can do. The expert at Boss told me got 4 type of software gearbox change condition for E90. More torque or less torque which will translate to the jerk or not.

But it will also depend whether your ride got hardware fault or not. Must do diagnostic first.

Already book appointment with them. But the expert balik kampung. Will only come back after 2 weeks.

Cheers.

Sure... I will try to drop by BVO next week... Will keep ya update again... Please keep us update on the Boss programming as well... Did you find out how much Boss is charing for the programming? Can PM me?

is the gearbox jerk problem resolved 100% or just better than before?
i understand that you changed ATF not long ago and it does not help

saharalah;627574 said:

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868org
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back