E90 320i - Transmission jerky when slowing

Re: E90 320i - Transmission jerky when slowing

wt_know;627717 said:
is the gearbox jerk problem resolved 100% or just better than before?
i understand that you changed ATF not long ago and it does not help

Since you mentioned ATF, I'd like to ask why PML discourage the change? Anyone had problems after the change?

no problems. I had it done once at PML while under warranty and a second time with R2D. so far no issues with my nearly 6yr old 320i. 73k km mileage

jooggie;627880 said:
no problems. I had it done once at PML while under warranty and a second time with R2D. so far no issues with my nearly 6yr old 320i. 73k km mileage

Tks bro. SA suggest doing it while car is under warranty if I insist on changing ATF. Sounded scary like a gamble, risk gearbox failure.

leekokshiong;627588 said:
Sure... I will try to drop by BVO next week... Will keep ya update again... Please keep us update on the Boss programming as well... Did you find out how much Boss is charing for the programming? Can PM me?

PM you already.

Cheers

wt_know;627717 said:
is the gearbox jerk problem resolved 100% or just better than before?
i understand that you changed ATF not long ago and it does not help

Yes. I have tried everything to get the intermittent BMW famous jerk or some say gear slip. Which ever you prefer to say.

Jerk before during/before stopping. This one I got it fix at PML for the software changes.

The jerk during gear change did not appear after I replace the ATF at 50K mileage. But after 3 months. It come back again. Not always. Very intermittent.

When to soo many BMW expert. Everyone say confirm not gearbox issue. Put to so many diagnostic. No hardware fault detected.

Before this my ride was E36. Switch to Jap car. Don't feel the jerk during gear change. Now switch back to BMW E90. Seem so many people got this fenomena. Which most expert say not an issues. Most of them say that BMW E90 gearbox system is not like Jap cars. Which has CVT or like that. It is normal. Just like PML say. Jerk is normal.

But I do not feel comfortable. If it is not hardware issue. I hope software re prorgramming maybe can help. So I am going to try this gearbox changes progamming which Boss say can try.

Thinking. If I can't get use to this. I will switch back to Jap car. Tried Lexus 250 the other day. Gearbox changes smooth as silk. Can't feel any Jerk at all.

Cheers,

sorry, as I am new, and not able to create a new thread just yet...

Hi,

My name is Ferry from Indonesia. I wish to ask for some thoughts/opinions regarding the transmissions on my E90 320i N46N 2008, and here is my story. :blahblah: :blahblah:

About 6 months ago, I bought the car 2nd hand.
at the time, the service records was always done by authorized dealer and the milleage was at 30K.

About 2 months ago (milleage on 38K), I noticed the tranny start to jerk/jump when I stop on traffic lights.
the feeling was like being hit by another car/motorbike from behind. :uhhh:
The jerk/jump may come 2 time or 3 times in the row during a complete stop on traffic lights or traffic jam.
Then I start browsing on the net, and found similar symptoms from several threads in google.
So, I brought the car to an authorized dealer, and they reprogram the car. I left the car and came back the next day. The SA said, they had reprogram the tranny software and the jerk/jump has gone for good.
I drove away the car from the dealer. The first 10 minutes was fine... then the symptom came back. :uhhh:

3 days later, I went back to the workshop and request a different SA. Left the car again.
the next day, the SA called and informed me that they found O2 Sensor at the front exhaust is faulty and it caused the tranny to jump. Well, I am not a mechanic nor technician, but my feeling said, O2 Sensor does not have any direct connection with a jerk/jump tranny. But since they are the expert, I followed them anyway. I ask for a goodwill, and BMW Indonesia agree to subsidised 60% (well the cost for me was not much, so I did not make fuss about it, so I agreed)
3 weeks later, the parts has arrived, and I have been called to come to the workshop to replace the faulty O2 Sensor. I left the car for another day again.
After 2 days, the SA called and said, I can pick up the car. the symptom had gone for good (again...)
I picked up the car, then drove away from the dealer for a meeting. the first 15-20 minutes, the tranny seems behave normally.
Then... after that, it started again, the jerks/jumps came back. :uhhh:

My frustration had began. :mad: Why ? I have E36 318i M40 1992 manual tranny and I have E39 530i M54 2002, both were bought second hand with high milleage, but never cross my mind that new BMW be the worst car / nightmare of my life.

After 2 weeks of my frustation, I went back to the workshop, and I personally requested for the SA or a technician or workshop manager to go inside the car with me and test drive it. Finally, they agreed that the tranny had some issues. They requested the car to be left in their hands again and make a report accordingly.

3 days after, I received the call to pick up the car, while the workshop send the reports to BMW Indonesia and waited for the feedback.
1 week later, i was informed the verdict from BMW Indonesia is to replace the tranny. I asked how much it cost: IDR 91.000.000+
I dropped my head in shocked when I read the figures. well i bought the car for 350.000.000 and the cost for the tranny is more then 1/4 of the car cost.
so I asked for a goodwill. almost 3 weeks later (today 6 Dec 2011), i received the information that BMW Indonesia will only take 70% of the 91.000.000 = 27.300.000 (the cost I must bear)

I wish to ask for opinions regarding this matter. because to me it doesn't make sense that for a 3 year old BMW with only 40K milleage, the tranny is to be replaced and the owner should pay for any of it at all. :mad: :mad:

any ideas or suggestion on what should I do about it ? :uhhh: :uhhh:

thank you...

saharalah;628109 said:
Yes. I have tried everything to get the intermittent BMW famous jerk or some say gear slip. Which ever you prefer to say.

Jerk before during/before stopping. This one I got it fix at PML for the software changes.

The jerk during gear change did not appear after I replace the ATF at 50K mileage. But after 3 months. It come back again. Not always. Very intermittent.

When to soo many BMW expert. Everyone say confirm not gearbox issue. Put to so many diagnostic. No hardware fault detected.

Before this my ride was E36. Switch to Jap car. Don't feel the jerk during gear change. Now switch back to BMW E90. Seem so many people got this fenomena. Which most expert say not an issues. Most of them say that BMW E90 gearbox system is not like Jap cars. Which has CVT or like that. It is normal. Just like PML say. Jerk is normal.

But I do not feel comfortable. If it is not hardware issue. I hope software re prorgramming maybe can help. So I am going to try this gearbox changes progamming which Boss say can try.

Thinking. If I can't get use to this. I will switch back to Jap car. Tried Lexus 250 the other day. Gearbox changes smooth as silk. Can't feel any Jerk at all.

Cheers,
Hi Bro,

Did you manage to solve this jerk issue? my car has developed this, especially when slowing down....while cruzing on highway as well during start-stop trafiic, when trying to speed up.....

do let me know.

Cheers.

i guess almost everyone of us's experiencing this jerk when coming to a stop... some have shared that its the way the gearbox was programmed... when downshifting... the car most probably didnt downshift quickly enough, thats why the jerk... let's juz try to ignore it and enjoy the other better aspects of our ride... =)

somewhere in the forum some bro has shared this technical topic on this phenomenon...

bro,

mine also occurs while cruzing at speeds between 100km/h-120km/h.....kinda sudden jerk....and scary when occurs in the midst of overtaking....pending for a visit to the workshop on Monday.

I have this similar problem when driving at 80km/h-120km/h. Jerk when changing gear and agree that it's kinda scary. And also realize that the Rev stays at 2k-2.5k RPM n sometimes 3k RPM for a while before dropping gear to pick up faster. And that's when the jerk appears. Makes me real malu when tried to overtake other cars at times. :p
Being like this since my last servicing with StarBlack. And they claimed no issues found during diagnostic.
Any suggestion to fix this problem is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

BestManWins;724467 said:
I have this similar problem when driving at 80km/h-120km/h. Jerk when changing gear and agree that it's kinda scary. And also realize that the Rev stays at 2k-2.5k RPM n sometimes 3k RPM for a while before dropping gear to pick up faster. And that's when the jerk appears. Makes me real malu when tried to overtake other cars at times. :p
Being like this since my last servicing with StarBlack. And they claimed no issues found during diagnostic.
Any suggestion to fix this problem is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Hi BRo,

On mine, the Fault indicated was the " Oxygen sensor heating before catalytic converter"; which i believe is causing the jerk on my car. The jerk now feels that there is a sudden power cut to the engine, and the engine has died a couple of times moving in slow speed, like in the car park area. Shit!
Seems that i need to get the sensors changed....will need to pay Dr.Rod a visit, when i am free.

Cheers.

o2 sensor will mess up your fuel and ign... if you don't fix it asap you will get misfires, poor fc, black smoke, and all sorts of nonsense... better fix soon

detach8;724761 said:
o2 sensor will mess up your fuel and ign... if you don't fix it asap you will get misfires, poor fc, black smoke, and all sorts of nonsense... better fix soon
Thanks Bro,

Much appreciated. seems that there are approx 4-5 sensors. Btw changing the O2 sensors will resolve the issues that u stated? They will not cause any permanent damage right? :(

Thanks

theres 4... 2 pre cat and 2 post cat. (i think) but u should not need to change all 4 .. get an obd readout to be sure.

detach8;724930 said:
theres 4... 2 pre cat and 2 post cat. (i think) but u should not need to change all 4 .. get an obd readout to be sure.
Thanks Bro,

My Fault readout states Oxygen sensor and Oxygen2 sensor pre CAT....also having the Cam SHAFT Sensor Fault (causing difficulty sometimes when starting the car, where the engine cranks a few times before it can actually start) Happens occasionally.

Thanks for the headup bro. Much appreciated.

acupunch;312285 said:
i did felt the same issue mention. PML CSA told me to leave the car for them for some firmware updates or reprogram stuff. the car came back smooth again. but mine was about 30,000+KM when it happens.

wht is the damage?

chinweyngee;726021 said:
wht is the damage?
i will be going in on Monday to see Rodney, will advice once i know the damage..

LIke Bro detach8 mentioned there are 4 sensors in total 2 pre CAT and 2 Post CAT.....( the costs for the sensors range between $160-$200 each). depends which one.

Anyone else mind to share the damage, if they had recently replaced the O2 sensors?
Much appreciated

cam sensor?! that can cause yr engine to stall!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868org
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back