e90 325 or e90 330 or used m3

Re: e90 325 or e90 330 or used m3

piggyboyz said:
Bro, money aside since they r 80k apart like u mentioned, the GTi is not in the same league as the E90 330i la... From 3rd gear on, the Gti has got too long ratio and it takes a while to bring the fella to redline wheras BMW, by vurtue of the bigger cc, just sweep across the tacho effortlessly...

But of course if u talk about modding, then it's a totally new dimension.

I thought it is the Nm of the car that counts and not the engine cc?? A stock evo is able to keep pace or overtake a 330i with 1000cc less right. A Golf GTi with 280Nm as stock pulling power should not have problem keeping pace with the 330i. Both are having 6 speed gearbox and here I am assuming both have the same gearing ratio. The GTI is about 300kg lighter than the 330i while the 330i have 50 bhp and 20Nm more than the GTI. I could be wrong though but it will be interesting to see a real shotout...........:)

Cheers!
:)

Welbo said:
I thought it is the Nm of the car that counts and not the engine cc?? A stock evo is able to keep pace or overtake a 330i with 1000cc less right. A Golf GTi with 280Nm as stock pulling power should not have problem keeping pace with the 330i. Both are having 6 speed gearbox and here I am assuming both have the same gearing ratio. The GTI is about 300kg lighter than the 330i while the 330i have 50 bhp and 20Nm more than the GTI. I could be wrong though but it will be interesting to see a real shotout...........:)

Cheers!
:)

it depends where is the peak torque. If its early say around 2.5k to 3k then it will definately win the 330i in the century sprint. So it will be good for short distance burst.

Then it will have problem reaching high rev fast which means acceleration in 3rd gear onwards will be slower than a 330i because of HP shortage of 50 and also a smaller breathing engine than a 330i. Small lung vs big lung.

Only way to beat the 330i on high end is to increase the turbo boost. So the mod list you should noe lah...
Though small lung but stronger and faster breathing.

still cannot decide between 330 or 2nd hand m3.now worst got 530 2nd hand on my mind.

can a 330 i be modded to achieve similar resilts to an m3.
some how i cant get used to the idea of owning a 2nd hand car incase it was a bad car thats why they sold it. also the milage is high.there is one red m3 one selling 230k at 27000km.does any one know the car.?
http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2fAR5Q-1008.html

but my budget stretched i only want to commit around 200k

then i came across some 2nd hand 530 with 30000km for 170 to 183k...got more power than 330 and got luxury

any one know about these cars o even the owner.is it worth getting

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2AEY8ynu-1044.html

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/listi...AP=Any&PR1=0&PR2=&TP=Any&GR=Any&FR=Any&TO=Any

the more i look around the more i confused leh.lately been reading alot of post in bmw.sg...sheeesh kebabs..sleepless

where else can i look for 2nd hand cars on the web

serious advice needed here TIA

google said:
then i came across some 2nd hand 530 with 30000km for 170 to 183k...got more power than 330 and got luxury

no way in the world the early e60 530i non valvetronic engine is more powerful than the new engine e90 330i.
Luxury yes! most likely the one you saw is dynamic drive equipped, that is the bargain!.

Powerful? the e90 330i is more agile and faster for sure. Those went to IDT swore by it and they own the 530i.

anyway been following this thread, go with the heart.. the M3 is what you are looking for! the others are just excuses.
at 200k the 330i is still plain. you need to spend 20k more to include Bi-xenon headlights (this is a must); AFS and sport suspension etc..

google said:
can a 330 i be modded to achieve similar resilts to an m3.
some how i cant get used to the idea of owning a 2nd hand car incase it was a bad car thats why they sold it. also the milage is high.there is one red m3 one selling 230k at 27000km.does any one know the car.?
http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2fAR5Q-1008.html

but my budget stretched i only want to commit around 200k

1. E90 330 engine can't be modded much yet at this stage. It's new valvetronic engine..Tuners hv probably begun to scratch their heads of how to mod em.:lol2:
Unlike the E46 330.....alot of after mkt products are available and there are some monster rides out there with the aim to close the gap with their elder brother M3 and it's alot of $ n time involved too which IMO, at the end of the day when u look back, u wished u had bought M3 instead:whipper:

2. That Imola red Mar 2004 asking 240K is really cheap if it's PML car.

google said:

Bro, the new 330i has 258bhp. The second-hand 530s you referred to are those with the new bodyshape but old engine with 231bhp. So I do not know how you arrive at the conclusion that a 3litres engine in a 5 series is more powerful than that in a 3 series. More luxurius I can agree. At most they have the same power if they are produced from the same generation. So those 530s in the PML showroom will now also have 258bhp.

And frankly, if you want a M3, juz go get one instead of considering modding a 330i to M specs coz the 330i by itself is already a joy to drive. Go test drive one if you have not already done so and you will know what I mean.

Google, if you're single and don't have kids etc. forget the 530i. It's just not in the same league dynamics wise when compared to a E90 330i or M3.

Here's a breakdown of points, you need to decide

E90 330i
- great car, no doubt about it, superb handling
- OK power, good enough for driving around the city and still have fun on the track and on NS hwy
- it's new, latest tech, great engine
- it's nothing to look at, in fact E90s are just going to get more common going forward
- no matter how you mod, it won't reach an M3 in power stakes , except perhaps with a SC or TC

E46 M3
- it's special in all dynamic departments, nuff said
- it'll get rarer as time goes on, will still turn heads a few years from now

Ok I'll stick my neck out:

Get a 2nd hand M3 NOW! forget a E90 for the time being. Drive it for a few years, have fun at track days and driving up NS Hwy.

In a few years (say 2-3), consider an E90, it'll still be a newish model, by that time, there'll be Coupes, Cabrios, some with V8s, perhaps even a 3.0l Turbo or a 3.5l pushing 300hp. Plus, they would have ironed out the bugs and many mod options will be out. If we're lucky, BMW might have a DSG option as well (I think it'll have to happend sooner or later)

Whisky_Tango said:
it depends where is the peak torque. If its early say around 2.5k to 3k then it will definately win the 330i in the century sprint. So it will be good for short distance burst.

Whisky,

On the Sepang track, is there real opportunity for the 330i to max its performance in terms of power? Or will the short burst of a GTi be gd enuff. I think the GTi has pretty flat torque curve from 1800 rpm to 5000 rpm.

T6, Whisky..

Dun underestimate the VW engines. With a Turbo, getting power is really a simple affair. The VAG torque curves are very flat and fat. Given a stock GTI vs a E90 330, I will foresee the GTI pulling away in the first 3 of 6 gears. Subsequently, once 4th (around 120kmh) or so, the 330 will stop loosing ground and start to claw back the GTI. Only in 5th will the 330 get by the GTI by virtue of top speed and superior aerodynamics. 6th is for cruising around.

Cheers

allow me....i have driven both cars up to 180kmh. on a straight road. i have also driven both hard thru bends. there is little to choose between them from the initial acceleration. the E90 330is may feel slightly ponderous if driven from M2 in DS mode...if u kick it into 1st gear and do a manual shifting...i believe the 0-100 is as good as the GTI. the GTI feels really agile due to weight from 0. beyond 150 we know who is better...but i am positive the GTI will not leave the 330 behind in the 1st 3 gears. they will be neck n neck.

T6 said:
Whisky,

On the Sepang track, is there real opportunity for the 330i to max its performance in terms of power? Or will the short burst of a GTi be gd enuff. I think the GTi has pretty flat torque curve from 1800 rpm to 5000 rpm.

T6, it sure has the real opp...question is does the driver have the balls to push the car to the limit...:yummie:

TripleM.

Track evaluation is very subjective. Driver capabilities play a very very big part of the equation together with vehicle handling. If we are just talking about acceleration figures then a 1/4 mile drag and a 80-120 in 3rd and 4th would be the best gauge. I have seen a Suzuki Ignis sport with just Intake/Exhaust, suspension and rims/tires mods stick to the tail of a std WRX through PG. Both drivers swapped cars after the run and still the Ignis was able to stick to the tail of the rex.

Shall we have a thread in the private folder to discuss further on the evaluation measures?

Cheers

yendor said:
T6, Whisky..

Dun underestimate the VW engines. With a Turbo, getting power is really a simple affair. The VAG torque curves are very flat and fat. Given a stock GTI vs a E90 330, I will foresee the GTI pulling away in the first 3 of 6 gears. Subsequently, once 4th (around 120kmh) or so, the 330 will stop loosing ground and start to claw back the GTI. Only in 5th will the 330 get by the GTI by virtue of top speed and superior aerodynamics. 6th is for cruising around.

Cheers

if one goes by just manufacturing specs, the stock Gti is a 6.9 ~ 7.0 sec century sprint car the last time i look at the spec and the e90 330i is a 6.6 sec car give and take! Hm?

yes zag...but in real life the GTI is faster than paper. probably in the 6.5sec

totoseow said:
yes zag...but in real life the GTI is faster than paper. probably in the 6.5sec

And so many after market chips that will bump bhp to as high as 260bhp and torque of 350nm and above. Quite a number of GTIs in Spore already doing 6.1.sec!

totoseow said:
we talking stock here right?

Yah, but I wld also consider the mod potential. It is really that much easier to mod a turbo engine.

From my own experience, the flatness of the torque curve allows you to really go damn fast. A passat with 1.4bar of boost has kept a DC2 integra smelling smoke all the way along thomson rd along with the lights. No doubt when you throw curves into the equation, the nimble DC2 will be at an advantage.

The paper specs should just be taken at paper value. It is the actual on the road acceleration that counts. The GTI's torque startes to peak around 1800rpm and continues to 5000rpm as such the engineers would have included taller gears and this would allow the GTI to pull further in each gear. The weight advantage of the GTI negates the greater torque of the 330.

The only issue with TC cars is the linearity of the power. Large NA cars have the ability to modulate power delivery through corners and such. Turbo cars are dependent on RPMs and boost curves. This creates issues to the driver as the entry RPM speed will determine the exit engine power to pull out of the corner.

Cheers

ah ya, T6 don't think so much, go get a 2nd hand M3 also lah....

eggz said:
ah ya, T6 don't think so much, go get a 2nd hand M3 also lah....

Haha, this is Google's thread. We are just trying to confuse him further by maybe suggesting a further option of the GTi too (And yes, the Golf R32 you asking abt is coming in 4mths time at quite a reasonable price too).

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back