E90 325i/330i Test Drive

BMouseW

E90 325 is available for test drive from 28/05 and E90 330 is available today 03/06!!!

Ok, many have commented on the new look (tails lights, etc)… all this is aesthetic and subjective to individuals, so up to you…

Now to the standard specs… stating those items that are not available or non standard on E46 325i/330i

E90 325i/330i
0-100km/h – 7.7s/6.6s
218hp at 6500rpm, 250Nm from 2750-4250rpm / 258hp at 6600rpm, 300Nm from 2500-4000rpm
6 speed steptronic
DSC III (Brake Stand-by, Brake Drying, Start-off Assistant, Fading Compensation & Soft Stop)
iDrive
PDC rear (iDrive guiding system)
Wipers with rain sensor
Auto headlights
Runflat tyres and in-car indicators
Front white individual side indicators
Rear electric roller blinds
Navigation System Professional (GPS) & Sharkfin
Radio BMW Business (CD) with Aux-in
Car Telephone Preparation
Front/rear cup holders
A/C cooled holder for drinks
I think i saw an engine oil cooler at the bottom behind the radiator (Must verify)

Must have… Xenon lights (S$2424)
Good to have… Sport seats (S$2506), lumbar support (S$1129) and Sunroof

How to start the engine… insert the key into the spring catch slot below the start/stop button… step on brakes and press start/stop button… Engine and exhaust note on the E90 330 are music to my ears, just like the E46 330… btw, there is an option called comfort access like merc keyless go.

Test drove the E90 325i first, notice a slight jerk when auto shifts from first to second gear even at low rpms, E90 330i is only slightly smoother. The gearing on 330i first 3 gears is slightly higher than the 325i, the rest are the same… Shifts on higher gears are very, very smooth. Autobox drops 1 gear IMMEDIATELY on flooring, revs to 7000rpm easily… I LIKE!!! Steptronic shifts got a slight lag… SMG anyone? Sports mode holds the gear and did not upshift even when I hold the throttle for quite a while. Performance is within expectation, what a UDM should be.

Nice, good & firm grip on the standard sports leather steering wheel, both test cars have active steering ($5432 option), handling is as good as before but feels a bit lighter, don’t know if it is due to the active steering. U-turns can be done with less than 3/4 turn of the steering (actually reach full lock), not used to it.

Not much noise intrusion into the cabin except a nice humming, bassy exhaust note on the 330i while cruising. Comfortable ride on stock suspension, 330i which is on sport suspension setting ($1170 option) is also quite comfortable.

Finished… put to (P)ark, pull handbrake, open door, rev to hear ending melody, press start/stop button and PUSH key in to release catch… did I mention the new key is beautiful?

E90 325i is priced at S$175k and 330i is at S$203k. Price is still neg.

Special Mention, Ms. Rachel Yap – 9667 9337 from PML. She invited me to the 3 series launch and E90 320i test drive… Invited me immediately when the 325i test drive car is available and offered the 330i test drive too. Great service attitude! Put her HP in vibration mode and did not answer any calls while attending to me. If you intend to test drive and buy or just to test drive, jus call her for an appt. If you find her service good, do buy through her or recommend your friends… I highly recommend her due to her pleasant service and am not related to her or PML in any way.

Now must wake up early morning and go buy 4D on the test drive cars’ licence plate number…

Re: E90 325i/330i Test Drive

BMouseW said:
Now must wake up early morning and go buy 4D on the test drive cars’ licence plate number…

Is iDrive std on both cars? btw, wat is the test drive car #? :yummie:

other than the price and capacity(incl power n torque) difference, any other diiference which is noticeable? still trying to figure out which is more worth it...

Silver31 said:
other than the price and capacity(incl power n torque) difference, any other diiference which is noticeable? still trying to figure out which is more worth it...

Don't think too much, just go for the 330i, you'll never regret it! :dance:

I mean, how can you argue with 258hp in a compact 4 door sedan, it's got to be awesome!

eggz said:
Don't think too much, just go for the 330i, you'll never regret it! :dance:

I mean, how can you argue with 258hp in a compact 4 door sedan, it's got to be awesome!

Ya, I can imagine that. But for S'pore context, don't you think that 218hp of the 325 is good enough? If I'm not wrong, the only diff. between the 325 and 330 is only the engine and of course that translates to a higher hp and torque. The others are all the same but you are paying like a S$20 over k premium. Correct me if I'm wrong. The 325 seems like a good enough car and I will definitely go for a test drive. Any comments anyone. :thumbsup:

Road tax and insurance also another factor which makes 325i more economical. If one got extra cash, then definitely 330i, won't go wrong. :inlove:

Silver31 said:

Based on the quoted price before neg., difference is S$28k. 330i has Bigger Better Brakes (always welcomed), a wonderful engine/exhaust note and the silly grin of the driver inside one. LTA will be richer by S$748 per year.

My opinion is same as eggz... no regrets...

L Armstrong said:
Ya, I can imagine that. But for S'pore context, don't you think that 218hp of the 325 is good enough? If I'm not wrong, the only diff. between the 325 and 330 is only the engine and of course that translates to a higher hp and torque. The others are all the same but you are paying like a S$20 over k premium. Correct me if I'm wrong. The 325 seems like a good enough car and I will definitely go for a test drive. Any comments anyone. :thumbsup:

If the budget only permits for 325, go for it...If can go higher, then skip 325 and go straight to 330. It's quite a big difference altogether as a package.... :)

I went down to PML yesterday. Didn't have a chance to do the actual testdrive due to shortage of time. The price is as per that quoted by MBouseW/Wee Hion. The price of the 320i has surprisingly dropped. So 320i is now $147k (OMV $42k), 325i is $175k (OMV est $50k) and 330i is $203k (OMV est $60k). The OMVs of the 325i and 330i are estimates coz non has been registered yet. Other than the engine, the specs of the 325i and the 330i are exactly the same. On paper, the 325i hits 100km/h in 7.7 secs which seems kinda slow. Alot of stuff are options which is disappointing. The options list is quite long and everything looks like a must have. So the ticket price of the 330i can easily go up by another $20k with options thrown in. And to pay $223 for a 330i, one can't help but also look real hard at the 530i. IMO, there is no doubts abt it. The 5 series are betta built. The way the doors close, how the rear light cluster looks are all so much betta, etc.

Now back to the 330i, whoever buys it is gonna take a serious hit. Even at the base price of $203k, and the fact that under the new PARF system, one can only get back 55% of the OMV of $60k, we are looking at yearly depreciation of $17k IF u drive it for 10 years. As most of us dun drive it for dat long, one can imagine the hit one will get if one is to let it go say 3 yrs down the road. The SE readily conceded that one can expect to lose $25k per year for the first few years.

So that is my field report on the price huh huh. If I have a budget of $200k, damn I might juz spend it on a Golf GTi or a Legacy Gt and use the spare cash to buy a used Jap convertible say Miata. The combined road tax of these 2 rides probably add up to that of the 330i. Decision decision decisions but test drive I still must:)

Great review BMouseW.
Good analysis T6.
Definitely helpful for deciding on budget.
Thanks!

Hi guys, just a thought. I actually kinda like the 325i [ I bot a 320i n only 3 weeks old], but the price diff is too much and as its my first bimmer, I thot I should 'start slow' kekeke......well definitely looking to replace with a 325i or so 3 years from here.

Someone mentioned 7.7 sec from 0 to 100, is that slow? if it is, thats strange bcos the 325i does have a 218 BHP capability? I am a bit confused

Ahbengdriver said:
Hi guys, just a thought. I actually kinda like the 325i [ I bot a 320i n only 3 weeks old], but the price diff is too much and as its my first bimmer, I thot I should 'start slow' kekeke......well definitely looking to replace with a 325i or so 3 years from here.

Someone mentioned 7.7 sec from 0 to 100, is that slow? if it is, thats strange bcos the 325i does have a 218 BHP capability? I am a bit confused

Hi..

Whether a 0-100km/h timing of 7.7secs is fast or slow, is very subjective... to the driver, depending what he or she is currently used to.. and to the car, depending on power-to-weight...

Then of course, there also power-to-dollar... which is a whole different can of worms...

cheers...

T6 said:
I went down to PML yesterday. Didn't have a chance to do the actual testdrive due to shortage of time. The price is as per that quoted by MBouseW/Wee Hion. The price of the 320i has surprisingly dropped. So 320i is now $147k (OMV $42k), 325i is $175k (OMV est $50k) and 330i is $203k (OMV est $60k). The OMVs of the 325i and 330i are estimates coz non has been registered yet. Other than the engine, the specs of the 325i and the 330i are exactly the same. On paper, the 325i hits 100km/h in 7.7 secs which seems kinda slow. Alot of stuff are options which is disappointing. The options list is quite long and everything looks like a must have. So the ticket price of the 330i can easily go up by another $20k with options thrown in. And to pay $223 for a 330i, one can't help but also look real hard at the 530i. IMO, there is no doubts abt it. The 5 series are betta built. The way the doors close, how the rear light cluster looks are all so much betta, etc.

Now back to the 330i, whoever buys it is gonna take a serious hit. Even at the base price of $203k, and the fact that under the new PARF system, one can only get back 55% of the OMV of $60k, we are looking at yearly depreciation of $17k IF u drive it for 10 years. As most of us dun drive it for dat long, one can imagine the hit one will get if one is to let it go say 3 yrs down the road. The SE readily conceded that one can expect to lose $25k per year for the first few years.

So that is my field report on the price huh huh. If I have a budget of $200k, damn I might juz spend it on a Golf GTi or a Legacy Gt and use the spare cash to buy a used Jap convertible say Miata. The combined road tax of these 2 rides probably add up to that of the 330i. Decision decision decisions but test drive I still must:)

Well said, T6... to almost all points... and I especially like the bit on 'being real' and the 'hit' on depreciation on current new cars...

The only bit that I don't totally 'see eye-to-eye', is the part on 7.7secs being a bit slow... which I covered in reply to 'ahbengdriver's' post...

I know of a number of people in SG, who are very happy with (IMHO, a very very underpowered) 2.2L E60 520i...

No flames, please.. cos none given... 8)

T6 said:
So 320i is now $147k (OMV $42k), 325i is $175k (OMV est $50k) and 330i is $203k (OMV est $60k). The OMVs of the 325i and 330i are estimates coz non has been registered yet. Other than the engine, the specs of the 325i and the 330i are exactly the same. On paper, the 325i hits 100km/h in 7.7 secs which seems kinda slow. And to pay $223 for a 330i, one can't help but also look real hard at the 530i. IMO, there is no doubts abt it. The 5 series are betta built. The way the doors close, how the rear light cluster looks are all so much betta, etc.

Wonderful analysis Andy..

Sad thing is, the OMV of the cars are so low, yet prices remain at the same levels. I hope I'm correct to say that the residual parf value after 10 yrs is quite negligible (10K spread) between the 3 cars - compared to the premium paid for it's initial price. I've yet to see any E90 325i on the roads (except for our meetups) - that goes to show how little have been sold..

I agree that the E60 5-series are really one-notch above the E90 in terms of interior quality and build - the moment you get in the car. The finishings are really quite different altogether. Considering that even the 325i is being sold at aprx the same price as a 523i (both the same 2.5litre engine blocks), but getting "so much less" overall is quite discouraging..

Ahbengdriver said:

The manual does 7.0 seconds. ;)
In recent years, the number of cars crunching less than 7 seconds (0-100km/h) on paper has increased tremendously in all forms (esp those with forced induction). Taking the retail price into consideration at $175K, the value is lacking - in fact, it may be in a class of it's own (moderate performance, high premium). Don't be mistaken though, it would still be my ideal car of choice and I'd still jump at the opportunity if there's one up for grabs!

The 330i is even sweeter, of course, if the finances allow..

My 2 cents!
Alvin.

kl88 said:
I know of a number of people in SG, who are very happy with (IMHO, a very very underpowered) 2.2L E60 520i...
No flames, please.. cos none given... 8)
I agree. If the daily driving is all that matters, any cars in the range would be quite sufficient.. many drivers do not bring their cars in to the high-rpm ranges simply because they don't feel the need..

The funny thing about bimmers (compared to it's peers) is that many other cars lack the ability to make the driver want to drive harder.

Puny said:
I agree. If the daily driving is all that matters, any cars in the range would be quite sufficient.. many drivers do not bring their cars in to the high-rpm ranges simply because they don't feel the need..

The funny thing about bimmers (compared to it's peers) is that many other cars lack the ability to make the driver want to drive harder.

yup.. to each, his/her own.. everyone has diff needs/wants etc... :)

Agree with Puny. The 325i was priced at $173k to me, while the 523i was something like $172k...I was telling myself what the earth is this pricing? Then I was told altho both are 6-er inlines and 2.5L powerhouses, the 325i packs 218HP while 523i is only 177HP. Right?

But the 325i is just so sexy at 218HP is good enuf for me, dont require the 330i which to me is disgusting priced by PML.

Puny said:
Wonderful analysis Andy..

I agree that the E60 5-series are really one-notch above the E90 in terms of interior quality and build - the moment you get in the car. The finishings are really quite different altogether. Considering that even the 325i is being sold at aprx the same price as a 523i (both the same 2.5litre engine blocks), but getting "so much less" overall is quite discouraging..

Alvin.

325 and 523 are priced about the same because their OMV are about the same, S$50k+. Both are 2.5 L but hp is different. 325 is 218 whereas 523 is 177. 325 comes with Navigation but not the 523. So why "getting so much less"??? :confused:

SFW said:
325 and 523 are priced about the same because their OMV are about the same, S$50k+. Both are 2.5 L but hp is different. 325 is 218 whereas 523 is 177. 325 comes with Navigation but not the 523. So why "getting so much less"??? :confused:
Hi SFW,

My oversight! - thanks for pointing out the similiarities between the OMVs of the 523i and the 325i. It does make alot more sense - keep forgetting that the iDrive comes standard on the 325i which is a 10K option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back