E90 Engine Oil Indicator

rayjuan

hi bros,

from my understanding i believe when the low engine warning signal comes on stating the MIN +1 litre message, does that mean i just have to top up 1 litre? and im assuming i still have about 5litres left in my car? (e90 323i)

is it ok to carry on driving without having to top up that 1 litre? are there any side effects?

hope some bro can advice thanks!

Re: E90 Engine Oil Indicator

rayjuan;824258 said:
hi bros,

from my understanding i believe when the low engine warning signal comes on stating the MIN +1 litre message, does that mean i just have to top up 1 litre? and im assuming i still have about 5litres left in my car? (e90 323i)

is it ok to carry on driving without having to top up that 1 litre? are there any side effects?

hope some bro can advice thanks!

If its states +1lt then just top up 1 litre will do. The engine oil level indicator indicate the top 1 litre of engine oil. So in a nutshell it simply means based on your total engine oil capacity, you have lost 1 litre of engine oil, you need to top it up to full thats all.

Its better to top up for precaution sake else they will not have warning to ask u to top up 1 litre also.

BMW engine runs hot thus engine oil will be used up as compares with other make.

Averagely for E90 320i, its around 7000km to 8000km usage.
*tats why some change oil at every 6000km.

U can popby AD for a topup or diy.. Best to top up.

Cheers.. :)

thanks for the responses bros!

guess ill have to top up then. mine losses about 1 litre of engine oil every 1 and half months.

fyi: no oil leakages, changed almost everything liao, engine bay is completely dry.

i guess its the age of the car. am driving an e90 323i 2006

sorry just to add, any idea why we have to maintain the full capacity of the engine oil througout?

tomace;824284 said:
BMW engine runs hot thus engine oil will be used up as compares with other make.

Averagely for E90 320i, its around 7000km to 8000km usage.
*tats why some change oil at every 6000km.

U can popby AD for a topup or diy.. Best to top up.

Cheers.. :)
I think it is more of the water content in the oil especially in our start-stop traffic.

rayjuan;824292 said:
thanks for the responses bros!

guess ill have to top up then. mine losses about 1 litre of engine oil every 1 and half months.

fyi: no oil leakages, changed almost everything liao, engine bay is completely dry.

i guess its the age of the car. am driving an e90 323i 2006
I don't think it has anything to do with age le. My 2002 E39 520 M54 lost 1L of oil around 7k - 8k km.

rayjuan;824294 said:
sorry just to add, any idea why we have to maintain the full capacity of the engine oil througout?
Generally the Engine Oil not only lubricates the engine's internal parts, but also helps cool the bearings. Total amount of oil in the engine, therefore, serves as a heat sink to help control heat besides acting as lubricant. Under normal driving conditions, running 0.75-1 litre low probably doesn't make much difference in terms of bearing temperature or overall engine lubrication. But during extremely hot weather (in Tropical Countries, like SG), when driving at sustained highway speeds, running 0.75-1 litre low, will increase the risk of accelerated engine wear and/or damage.

Therefore, it is best to top up the engine oil whenever the dipstick reads low. Don't wait until it is down by 0.75 or 1 litre. If it needs 0.25 or 0.5 litre, add that 0.25 or 0.5 litre respectively, to bring it back up to the full mark.

CAUTION: Do not overfill. Adding too much engine oil can overfill the crankcase causing the oil to be whipped into foam. This, in turn, can cause a drop in oil pressure and loss of lubrication to critical engine parts. Also, too much engine oil may cause leaks as the extra oil is forced past seals and gaskets.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

The idiot-proof explanation...

Engine oil is the blood of your car.

Lose too much blood and it will die.

Engine oil loss also seems like it affect some types of engines more than others...

My E90 323i (magnesium engine) is a "regular oil drinker" but my 07 E93 335i doesn't seem to have the same habit... so far about 5k km and oil still full...

Both no oil leaks... but generally it is acceptable to have some engine oil loss on bmw engines..

Just top up for peace of mind... u don't want to kill your engine for lack of engine oil... will be very painful on the pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webhostexperts
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back