E90 LCI 323i

Re: E90 LCI 323i

Haha... Thanks for the company guys
Het, thanks for the compliments... Will update on my progress here....

Enjoyed the tcss tonite bros.
3 musketeers but not too bad cos company's great.

Cajun22...your 323 number mod ultimate....almost kua boh....haha
Nextup is your taillights liao....hehe

cajun22;692076 said:
Haha... Thanks for the company guys
Het, thanks for the compliments... Will update on my progress here....

Sure...but if i may further add my 5cents, do keep ur mods all in ur 1st post (tats oso wat i did :cloud9:)....else, ppl who wana see ur mods have to scour 40+ pgs to see all ur mods in future ya.....heehee.... :chinese:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gohty, thanks for the compliments n will definitely post here when ind.o decide to do the pb n kw or other coilovers :)

Ya man Steven, must go source for the smoke tail lights liao,
Het, thanks for the advise... Will update in the first post, prob easy for me to keep track also...

Hi Andy, remember the other day you showed me your 323i Shadow Vehicle emblems( Gloss Black) at Steven's place, it really nice after you have installed on your car. May I know where did you get it?

Andy

Fast forward to almost 2 years and I'm back to share some stuff I have been doing the past week. Below is the list I compiled earlier and I have update the new stuff in bold.

Before warranty expires in about 6 months:
White AE- already on order from Steven-Bimshop- collected and fixed
White LED interior lights- waiting for Steven-Bimshop's project- collected and fixed

M-Tech kit- still deciding on whether to go YAM3
Carbon trims for car interior ( still choosing between Robson, Carbon Revo and original PML)- the price difference between these brands are quite big. will most likely wait for somebody to dekit

After warranty expires:
Bastuck twin exhaust-
Powerbox- read up and most likely opting for tune instead
Brembo BBK either 6/4 or 4/2 depending on whether I do Powerbox, if dont do powerbox, may even just change Performance BBK front only.- just changes to ARMA M series yesterday due to budget concerns. Read below for initial impressions.
KW V2 coilovers or street comfort, if on budget probably AP or ST( need to read into this a bit more)- ended up with R-Logic coilover last week. Read below for initial impressions
H&R or RD sway bars- Done
M gear shifter- Done
M3 DCT Steering wheel- will opt for the M3 steering without shifter but currently no stock so have to wait

Additional stuff done

M3 Suspension stuff
Simota Carbon Air Intake
Bimshop Scoop

Coilover

My wife has been complaining of headaches and I later found out that our car has been rocking like a boat. Wierd sounds have also been plaguing the car every time I go up MSCP or if there is any elevation change on the road. Decided to change the suspension.

View attachment 51978
original ride height

View attachment 51979
View attachment 51981
front - 4 fingers

View attachment 51980
View attachment 51982
rear- 3 fingers

When I was searching for the myriad of choices, realized that my budget can only afford Taiwanese brand. I came across R-Logic thru forum member Rend and he allowed me to taxi in his ride and I was quite impressed with the performance.

View attachment 51983
View attachment 51984
prep to install the rear

View attachment 51985

View attachment 51986
View attachment 51992
Original suspension

View attachment 51987
View attachment 51988
new rears

View attachment 51989

View attachment 51990
View attachment 51991
Extended cable for adjusting the rear

View attachment 51993
front suspension removed

View attachment 51995
View attachment 51994
new fronts

View attachment 51996
new adjustable linkage for the front

View attachment 51997
comparison to the original suspension linkage

View attachment 51998

I was advised to opt for a spring uprate from 7kg front/11kg rear to 10kg front/12kg rear and also dual valve for the piston.I am not sure what that is but apparently it makes it better. The original ride height set is 2 fingers and it has since settled down to 1 finger after 2 weeks. There are 30 damper settings 1 being softest and 30 being hardest. The initial setting was 15 all around, I have since change to 16 front and 18 rears and am still evaluating.

The coilover comes with a 18 month warranty and I feel that it is very good value for money. It handles corners and road elevation well and my wife stop having her headaches. However, the funny sounds were still coming from the suspension parts hence the decision below.

M3 Suspension parts

Every time I turn the steering wheel especially if there is an elevation change, there will a "krok" sound coming from all 4 suspension areas. WS advised that the bushing is worn out and need to change a couple of parts.

I then read up on E90 post about it and found out that E90 members in the states have been changing these parts to M3 part.

Apparently, it reduces the comfort but the handling characteristic of the car improves. One of the parts even introduces a negative camber of .75 deg but I found out that it is still ok due to 2 factors. 1 is I have changed out from RFT to normal tires and the other is the amount is too small to cause any catastrophe. However, this apparently improves turning into corners.

View attachment 51999
worn bushing on the original part (fronts)

View attachment 52000
new M3 parts- the part that introduces the negative camber is on top.(fronts)

View attachment 52001
View attachment 52002
new vs original comparison(fronts)

View attachment 52003
fixed in car.(fronts)

View attachment 52004
new M3 parts.(rears)

View attachment 52005
Eng soon did not have the M3 ARBs in stock so I opted for H&R instead.

View attachment 52006
comparison of the original and H&R rear ARB.

View attachment 52007
new vs original comparison(rears)

View attachment 52008
fixed in car.(rears)

I did this to cure my funny sounds but WOW!, the handling characteristic of the car really improved, the car feels tighter and more predictable, the cornering capabilities of the car really went up. From the comfort standpoint, it did get a bit less comfortable but both my wife and 8 month old baby didn't complain so it's all good.

For a good reference. These are the parts I changed.

View attachment 52009
Rears- Part 17,18.( i will also be changing 13 as it's on order from Eng Soon.) 4 subframe bushes( it;s not labelled in the daigram but it's the one near part 12 and 22.

View attachment 52010
Fronts- Part 6 and 11.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brakes

There was nothing wrong with my brakes but when it came to time to change pads, I decided to opt for SSBH to maybe improve the feel and maybe better pads to improve the braking. After changing, it did improve the feel but the biting power still remains the same.

I chance upon a second hand 4 pot stoptech and after installing , it really open me up to upgrading of BBK( imagine an light on/off switch becoming a light dimmer and you will get the picture)the stronger biting power was also a big advantage. As the Stoptech are meant for E46 the rotor size is 330mm and I felt that it didn't fill my 19" so the vain part of me started searching for a BBK with bigger diameter rotor.

View attachment 52011
My stoptechs( incidentally they are for sale now and since I have both the original bracket for E46 and the parts needed to retrofit to E90, they are suitable for anybody with E46 or E90)
Link: http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-modifications-bmw-parts-accessories/78339-wts-4-pot-stoptech-bbk-332x32-e46-e90.html

I realized something in my search, all the brands Alcon, Brembo, AP Racing does not have an ex stock. Wait time is between 2-8 weeks. I even tried some of the parallel importers and their wait is shorter but still a couple of weeks. I chance upon the ARMA brand when I was actually looking for bodykits.

I found out from HAT( Herman) that they do have the ARMA M brakes in stock. Plus the attractive pricing, I opt to install it immediately. Specs are 6 pot front 355mm and 4 pot rear 340mm. I found out that although they are a Taiwanese brand, they are quite active in the race scene in Japan. I am quite impressed that the set is also a mono-block which supposedly increases it's strength.

View attachment 52012

View attachment 52013
View attachment 52014
they are huge!

View attachment 52015
View attachment 52016
fixing

View attachment 52017
View attachment 52020
fronts

View attachment 52018
View attachment 52019
rears

View attachment 52021
front rotor comparison to my stoptech 332mm

View attachment 52022
rear rotor comparison to stock

View attachment 52023
fronts done

View attachment 52024
rears done

View attachment 52026
View attachment 52027
You can see the ride height of 1 finger here as well.this is about 2 weeks after installation of the coilovers

View attachment 52025

First of all Kudos to Herman and the HAT team for doing a wonderful job on the brakes installation. In terms of the brakes, my initial impression are that it looks damn good. In terms of stopping power, if my stock brake was 4/10 and the stoptech was 8/10 then this is confirm a 9. The few words that come to my mind are smooth, progressive and balanced. i will continue to asses the brakes capabilities and update here in the future but I am really glad I bought it.

Thank you for reading, any members who are keen to try out my car if they are deciding to get the stuff mentioned here or if you have any question, you can always contact me at 8499-2218 and I will try my best to help you with the little knowledge that I have..

I would continue to post later this evening in regards to my other mods, cheers and have a good weekend guys!

Thanks for the compliment Herman and AC323,

below are the sneek peek to what's coming up next.

View attachment 52099

View attachment 52100

View attachment 52101

and last but not least

View attachment 52102

have been mulling over the YAM3 conversion but I figured that I would probably never afford one in my lifetime so decided to convert.

Incidentally, any bros who are on E90 pre-fl may want to get my original LCI panels,( front bumper without fogs, side skirts, rear bumper, side fender and bonnet. You probably need to buy the rear tailights to complete the conversion from Pre-fl to LCI. Check it out here http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-modifications-bmw-parts-accessories/78413-wts-used-original-stock-e90-lci-bodykit.html#post1011606

My conversion will be done this Saturday at 10am, anybody who is free can drop by to take a look. It will be at Miracle Workz.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubet77fashion
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back