E90 really a better car?

drift838

Was passing by PML and decided to take a look at the new 3 series as I am considering switching from my Ci back to a sedan for practical reasons. The 320i was within my budget and hence I scrutinised the car for a full hour.

I may be very critical here and the following are my personal views:
1. The E90 is currently very lowly speced. Everything is an option... even the most attractive part of the car.. the front lights are not the same as what was depicted in the promotions, its an $2k+ option for the xenon + angel eyes.
2. Rear tail pipe looks of poor quality.. futhermore it's a single tailpipe for the 320
3. Pop the engine cover and you will realise that the plastic engine cover sparsely covers the engine and they saved on the blue and white BMW emblem in the engine bay.. engine bay looks empty.. other than that it's the same N42 engine from the E46.. tweaked to produce more hp and troque at a lower rpm
4. Into the car, the design while still BMW functional, is less driver oriented and lacks the futuristic appeal of the exterior.
5. Improved interior quality? I did not notice this. The plastic seems to be of the same material as the E46, but did note that the cup holders are not as flimsy as the E60.
5. Try turning the light switch.. plastic feels cheap...
6. Leg room is better in the back
7. Brushed aluminium trimming is stunning
8. Why only 2 memory for the driver seat
9. I'm not v sure about this, but the doors do not seem to close as sturdy as before and feels lighter. I think BMW is going the Merc route.
10. The initial productions are already coming from SA.

As I am a 3 series fan, I am disappointed at the progress/evolution that I have come to expect. As I have not driven the car, I cannot comment on the performance. I am sure that the 6sp auto must be quite good stuff, but I was not tempted for a test drive.

Given that I am still considering this new BMW, would anyone care to share their views. Just wanna know if I am the only one feeling this way and my expectations are just too high.

Re: E90 really a better car?

Hi drift838,

You've given one of the more comprehensive personal reviews of the E90 already. I think what remains will be a test drive.

The legroom space in the rear seats are indeed better. Bootspace is also significantly larger.
The front control panels are functionaly placed. No real qualms about that. I think it just takes getting used to where the controls are. I think manufacturers daren't be too bold/radical about interiors. It's something that a driver looks/touches everytime he gets in the car.

Cheers.

I have also checked out that car from inside out and I too agree that it's really missing that 'X' factor for me to part with my 6.5 yr old sedan. Perhaps PML would need to lower their asking price or throw in a bit more freebies to make it more attractive. As for test drive, well let's hear from those that have driven the car here.

I tested the E90 320i with 4 pple on board.
Maybe the engine is new, but it does not seem particularly smoother or more powerful, compared to the E46 318i. Low end torque is not really enough.
Engine quiteness and lack of steering wheel vibration at idle is however commendable.

I agree with the fact that it lacks value for money as most of the stuff advertised are optional and have to pay, even for HID lights. I also agree that the car feels a bit 'light' and not as sturdy as the E46, judging by the "door slamming test".
Some interior plastics are just plain low quality, just like the E60 and E65. The previous generations of the 3, 5 and 7 er have much superior interior quality and appeal.

I have seen the E90 twice ( once at the launch and once at the showroom) Though no chance to test drive yet.

I honestly do like the exterior and interior tho i think some aspects could be better...
Exterior:
1. larger than E46. more road presence.
2. Like the bangle flame look
I do not like the horrible looking tail lights or the small exhaust. I mean even hyundai tuscani got twin pipe exhaust!

Interior:
1. Feels more luxurious than the E46.. but that was the 325 I was looking at. I think no matter what, the E46 interior is really outdated and spartan.
2. Rear leg room is much improved
3. Driving position feels quite the same.
4. Nice to hold steering wheel.
5. Nice support seats.

but I do agree some plastics feel cheap, like that silly cup holder.

Actually, IMHO, i think BMW like s to market their cars in 2 phases. They sell their early cars based on reputation and consumer desire - the "1st to drive E90" syndrome.

Ineveitably, they will then facelift the car - looks will be much better and spec will be improved. Look at the E46, I think the facelifted sedans look way way better than the initial stoic looking, rubber-stripped cars.

So how?

Wait it out man!!!

It will get better!

yup, i agree that the E90 looks pretty gd but the price is too high and most of the stuff are optional. My suggestion is to wait for them to lower the price. SMYUEN is right in saying PML does their marketing in 2 phases. Look at the E60 520, they released it at a much higher price, but the price has gone down now and some of the options have become std eqpt (eg. xenons). Furthermore, it would be wise to wait at least a yr or more for the problems and errors to be resolved b4 you get your car. Trust me, i've been through it....

Have not seen one in real life yet...just curious, does it still come with a casette player? I just dun understand why the E46 comes with a casette player as standard...

If u were to get the car make sure u ask the sales rep that the car is from Germany and not SA, as that would mean a difference of $8000 in OMV. Apparently they are importing the car from both countries but it's a matter of a draw of luck where u gonna get it from!

Regards,

elliot

drift838 said:
Was passing by PML and decided to take a look at the new 3 series as I am considering switching from my Ci back to a sedan for practical reasons. The 320i was within my budget and hence I scrutinised the car for a full hour.

I may be very critical here and the following are my personal views:
1. The E90 is currently very lowly speced. Everything is an option... even the most attractive part of the car.. the front lights are not the same as what was depicted in the promotions, its an $2k+ option for the xenon + angel eyes.
2. Rear tail pipe looks of poor quality.. futhermore it's a single tailpipe for the 320
3. Pop the engine cover and you will realise that the plastic engine cover sparsely covers the engine and they saved on the blue and white BMW emblem in the engine bay.. engine bay looks empty.. other than that it's the same N42 engine from the E46.. tweaked to produce more hp and troque at a lower rpm
4. Into the car, the design while still BMW functional, is less driver oriented and lacks the futuristic appeal of the exterior.
5. Improved interior quality? I did not notice this. The plastic seems to be of the same material as the E46, but did note that 10. The initial productions are already coming from SA.

Given that I am still considering this new BMW, would anyone care to share their views. Just wanna know if I am the only one feeling this way and my expectations are just too high.

haha! having said all that what one needs to do is to get in the car (at least a 325i) drive it and all the plastic cosmetic are all forgotten. not until you been in one of those bangled dash design.. the last gen BMWs interiror looks tired and dated.
320i with old engine is not worth the money it is asking for. They have to put in the 2.5l inline six new magnesium allloy engine eventually and called it 323i just like the 523i.
By the way, the first batch of 523i is a looser too... Xenon; PDC and no active steering!?? bummer!

Went down to PML again yesterday to see the E90, to convince myself it's a better car than the E46. Things are made difficult as I am only considering the 320 and I am currently having the N42 already.

At the Sime Darby showroom, they have a fully kitted 330Ci Sports edition beside the E90. This gave me a very good comparison between the 2 cars. My view is that that much has to be done to the basic E90 to get the aggressive look of the sports edition E46. The paint work of the E90 isn't particularly good, so many micro scratches on the BlackII E90 in the show room. Overall, the E90 has become bulkier and lost some of the E46 sleekness, but I do like the sharp styling of the front lights, but can't say the same for the excessive wide and clumsy looking front grill, much less so for the Proton Waja rear.

Interiorwise, I can't convince myself that it is better quality. I touched everything possible and can only say that there are some improvements in some areas eg. the center console eg. the plastic is no longer like the ones in the E46 that gets scratched off so easily. I don't like the buttons on the steering, they have a cheapo feel. I think the car feels goo, because of the showroom ambience, new smell and new everything.

Hence, I still can't convice myself for the switch. Perhaps, I should kit my Ci up with the M2 kit and wait for the next gen C Class :)

I am very critical here as I am trying to convince myself that the 320i is worth it.

For those who thinks that the E46 interior is dated... look at the attachment. Other than the gear shift, everything else is possible :)

was told by Steven (PML Parts Supervisor) that the ///M step plate is for left hand drive only... so if i buy it got to do some cutting... but it sure looks damn nice...

drift838 said:
Went down to PML again yesterday to see the E90, to convince myself it's a better car than the E46. Things are made difficult as I am only considering the 320 and I am currently having the N42 already.

At the Sime Darby showroom, they have a fully kitted 330Ci Sports edition beside the E90. This gave me a very good comparison between the 2 cars. My view is that that much has to be done to the basic E90 to get the aggressive look of the sports edition E46. The paint work of the E90 isn't particularly good, so many micro scratches on the BlackII E90 in the show room. Overall, the E90 has become bulkier and lost some of the E46 sleekness, but I do like the sharp styling of the front lights, but can't say the same for the excessive wide and clumsy looking front grill, much less so for the Proton Waja rear.

Interiorwise, I can't convince myself that it is better quality. I touched everything possible and can only say that there are some improvements in some areas eg. the center console eg. the plastic is no longer like the ones in the E46 that gets scratched off so easily. I don't like the buttons on the steering, they have a cheapo feel. I think the car feels goo, because of the showroom ambience, new smell and new everything.

Hence, I still can't convice myself for the switch. Perhaps, I should kit my Ci up with the M2 kit and wait for the next gen C Class :)

I am very critical here as I am trying to convince myself that the 320i is worth it.

For those who thinks that the E46 interior is dated... look at the attachment. Other than the gear shift, everything else is possible :)
You may also take a look at the new Lexus IS250 coming in end of the year or early next year.

Cheers!

Yes. That's an option. Am thinking of the facelifted Audi A4 FSI T.
I strongly believe that Lexus will give me less headache which PML is giving me :)

Just test drove the E90 320i less than an hour ago on the spur of a moment and was adviced to take it to the '99 turns' for a short trip..

First thing that stuck was that the steering is a tad bit lighter...
The car immediately felt more hollow - although noise insulation is better. This meant that the although the cabin was quieter, the sound from the tyres, engine sounded less refined.. Strange.

When accelerating, the engine was pretty loud, even in mid-revs (2000-3000), not too bassy however. Accleration seemed better than the E46 valvetronic. The steptronic gear shifts seemed much faster and it's also less jerky. Stock handling is pretty good already!

Brake feels the same. :) I like.
One the whole, it has more similarities with the E46 than not. It takes very little getting used to driving the car harder. It gave me a very similiar experience to my current car +- the small differences. The E90 is a better car with all the factors combined (exterior, interior) - and more importantly, it hasn't lost the feel/handling compared to the E46.

It makes little sense however, to upgrade from an E46 because of the similiarities - especially so the engine. No 325s are available for test drive until a bit later.

Cheers.

Just driven it today as well.

Yes, acceleration seem a tat better, mainly due to the 6sp auto (but bear in mind that it's on 16".. b'cos many of us are on 17"++. It's difficult to feel the 7bhp increase. Engine sounds the same and still revs to 6300 rpm.

Step shift throws are now shorter... becoming more sport oriented :)

There's no cruise control.
It's not full keyless entry like the Merc's. To me, quite pointless to have to press to open door, insert key, press button. The no. of steps are the same.. more convenient??? the Full keyless entry is a $2k+ option :(

The car has a hollow feel on the roads. I can't really put it in words. Steering doesn't seem sharper, but suspension is sportily firm. Interior is refreshing and has a higher driving position.

I can't really fault the car, but if one has $$$, should go for the 325 b'cos the 320 isn't too different from the E46 N42 in my opinion.

Let's just say that I think it's not a bad car, but it doesn't impress and I am still trying to convince myself.

Hi ! drifr838.

If you look closer there are no tweeter for 320i

However, there are for 325i and 330i

As for E46, tweeter were installed at corner of interior door :)

At those price S$155,800 for 320iA is really too expensive :(

For those who bought the last batch of E46 Sport Edition at S$128K really valued for MONEY :)

BMWCAR said:
Hi ! drifr838.

At those price S$158,800 for 320iA is really too expensive :(

For those who bought the last batch of E46 Sport Edition at S$128K really valued for MONEY :)

$158,800 for 320i is "kill people set fire" !!!!

BMWCAR said:
Hi ! drifr838.

At those price S$158,800 for 320iA is really too expensive :(

Yeap 128k would also sound like a fair price for the E90 320I. Is it using two way speakers for front? For the 325I and 330I do they use a crossover? If not, then it doesn't make much difference.

would probably wait to try out the upcoming IS250 - looks like lexus is getting serious - before making a decision to switch my current e46 320, 2.2L, which is a good ride indeed.

the smg gearstick also can mod. check out wilson's car. he's one of the first to mod it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back