E90 Rear Differential Oil

Re: E90 Rear Differential Oil

detach8;676023 said:
My diff is starting to make more and more noise. I'm tempted to drive to Munich and ask them to replace it under warranty. Bro Monfreeze, you wanna meet up?
Hi Bro,

So Sorry as i am travelling and did not see your post :(

will be back mid sept.

Hope that you get the rear diff prob sorted and keep us updated :)

Cheers.

delrosa81;678971 said:
I just changed my rear diff oil at one of the sponsor workshops in BMW SG. The receipt did not write the oil grade but our rear diff oil must be for LSD one then is suitable. From my very limited knowledge, our cars does come with LSD but a super basic 1 way type.
Bro Delrosa81,

Did you change your rear Diff Oil for some specific reason? Sound/noise; or just based on the fact that it due for change. As some say that it should be replace once ur ride hit the 100K mileage. care to share what was the cost like :)

Thanks.

I didn't even know our E90 have a basic LSD & it require to change Diff oil :thinking:

Monfreeze Archangel;679062 said:
Bro Delrosa81,

Did you change your rear Diff Oil for some specific reason? Sound/noise; or just based on the fact that it due for change. As some say that it should be replace once ur ride hit the 100K mileage. care to share what was the cost like :)

Thanks.

I changed cos I hit 100K Km mileage, no noise or anything. I change cos I don believe in lifetime fill oil. Its 40 bucks for the oil and I think 20 bucks for labour.

Jarren;679141 said:
I didn't even know our E90 have a basic LSD & it require to change Diff oil :thinking:

I didnt know as well, I thought it was just a rear diff for RWD thats all. Not 100% sure anot also.

Back from MA. They said I'll need to wait for a while cos they need to verify with BMW Asia. I think they're replacing my entire rear axle assembly.

Quick update. Went to MA, got my rear axle (according to SA?) replaced, and he said they used an oil specially to reduce wear and prolong lifespan... I'm guessing they used a thicker viscosity oil. But for sure the whine I had before is completely gone. I must give them 5 stars for their service though - they got the parts within 1 week and replaced my rear diff in just one day (less than 8 hours).

:goodup: for MA ...

finally there is an alternative to BMW AD customers from suffering "that's normal"

detach8;682642 said:
Quick update. Went to MA, got my rear axle (according to SA?) replaced, and he said they used an oil specially to reduce wear and prolong lifespan... I'm guessing they used a thicker viscosity oil. But for sure the whine I had before is completely gone. I must give them 5 stars for their service though - they got the parts within 1 week and replaced my rear diff in just one day (less than 8 hours).

detach8;682642 said:

Got my differential replaced by MA this week as well. Checked a few workshops, almost every workshop, quoted 1 to 2 weeks for part. Guess I was lucky, MA got mine the next day. All the terrible noise gone now .. a happy driver now. Agreed, good service from MA, much better than pml. Thanks Sherman for the good first encounter.

Dngrdad;759176 said:
Got my differential replaced by MA this week as well. Checked a few workshops, almost every workshop, quoted 1 to 2 weeks for part. Guess I was lucky, MA got mine the next day. All the terrible noise gone now .. a happy driver now. Agreed, good service from MA, much better than pml. Thanks Sherman for the good first encounter.
Bro Dngrdad,

Mind sharing the Damage?

Thanks

inyafase;667452 said:
Hey Derrick,

Not sure what brand you're planning on using, but based on what a lot of the BMW tuners use, I would go with Redline Oil. See here,
Red Line Synthetic Oil - BMW: What Red Line Products Do I Need?

Depends on whether you have an LSD in your setup or not. If you don't, 75W90. Don't forget, when you're changing it, make sure that the fluid doesn't get on your clothes. That stuff is stinky as shit, and no matter what you do, the smell just doesn't go away.

I called these guys,
Kai Guan Company | NTN Bearings | Red Line Oil
No.3 Upper Aljunied Link #01-03
Block B, Joo Seng Warehouse
Singapore 367902
Tel: +65 6382 3003

They have 1 quart (946ml) for $21 or so. Your differential probably will need just less than 2 bottles. Be sure to also change the crush washers on the fill and drain plugs. They are one time use only.

Martin.
Hi Bros,

anyone changed the rear diff and used the REDLINE series? i am planning to try the 75W140 from Redline as i am having the infamous sound from my rear diff.
Appreciate the feedback or any inputs on this Redline series.
Also read some write ups on the Swepco 201...widely used for Porsche and wanted to check if anyone has come across this or know if this is available here in s'pore. seems that you have to order it from Paragon Products, Inc; 5602 Old Brownsville Rd
Corpus Christi, TX 78417 or order online from Pelican Parts US.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: SWE-201-80W90

Cheers.

Actually bro, have you considered swapping a used differential from a scrapyard? Then trade your diff for the used one see if it helps.

detach8;766817 said:
Actually bro, have you considered swapping a used differential from a scrapyard? Then trade your diff for the used one see if it helps.
Hi Bro,
That seems like a good idea, but wanted to try out this less messy option out first and then will get the diff (used one) from Propel...and see. Was thinking that changing the oil first, as it would be faster and less expensive :) on the trial and error project.. the sound is starting to bug me a lot :(
Thanks for the suggestion.

A lot of old school mechanics says change differential oil will cause it to whine.....somehow it does not make engineering sense...

Last edited by a moderator:

zorro;766878 said:
A lot of old school mechanics says change differential oil will cause it to whine.....somehow it does not make engineering sense...
very true bro,

heard that as well, they ask me back why i want to change my rear diff oil:screwedu:..."no need leh"...."then got sound one"....but mine already got sound, then how?:yikess:

More sound later or no sound anymore...and that is what i want to check......:singsing:

Just my nee jiam :eek:

Differential oil is just like LSD. Have to replace at 20 000km ~ 30 000km usage. Just like transmission oil (gear oil), replace it every 30 000km usage. Oil will break down.

So far ive replace my differential oil @ 30 000km, transmission oil @ 20 000km & 30 000km (due to replacement of Mechatronic) .. And am planning to have it replace every 30 000km usage for differential oil, 20 000km for transmission oil..

:eek: :eek:

Cheers ~~ :)

tomace;767297 said:
Just my nee jiam :eek:

Differential oil is just like LSD. Have to replace at 20 000km ~ 30 000km usage. Just like transmission oil (gear oil), replace it every 30 000km usage. Oil will break down.

So far ive replace my differential oil @ 30 000km, transmission oil @ 20 000km & 30 000km (due to replacement of Mechatronic) .. And am planning to have it replace every 30 000km usage for differential oil, 20 000km for transmission oil..

:eek: :eek:

Cheers ~~ :)
I just went and got myself 2 bottles of Redline 75W140 ( each bottle is 1 US quart = 0.946352946 liters), and will get this done tomorrow at our Sponsor Workshop.......and monitor how things go from there :)

Hi there,

I am have the whining noise and was told to replacement the rear diff at close to $3k. Hope this can be solved by changing of diff oil too. Can you share if your problem was solved with the redline oil?

Its suppose to be 75w90. Try Liqui Moly. Worth a try ..... before spending 3k.

Mambo76;965999 said:
Hi there,

I am have the whining noise and was told to replacement the rear diff at close to $3k. Hope this can be solved by changing of diff oil too. Can you share if your problem was solved with the redline oil?

Red_Bean_Bun;966000 said:
Its suppose to be 75w90. Try Liqui Moly. Worth a try ..... before spending 3k.

Or Redline Oil. Turnermotorsport and Bavauto recommend it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U888ink
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back