E90 - RF Indicator signal did not go away after patching of tyre

waime

Hi guys,

Need your advise.

My E90 RF indicator went off last week. First thing I did was to check the tyre pressure and found that it was ok. Read the manual and try to stabilise my drive (50-80kmh) for a while but no use. So last Saturday drove down to PML to check if the indicator was faulty. The mechanic said the indicator was ok but the back right tyre has a screw in it. Was recommended to replace the tyre instead of patching (I requested for the latter) at 400+++ per tyre.

So off I went to Sin Ming area and found a workshop to do the needful - external patch where they drove a sticky tube into the damage area. Anways the job was done in about 15 mins and cost me lesser than a pack of Viceroy. Afterwhich drove to the petrol kiosk and pumped up all the 4 tyres.

It's been 3 days now the RT indicator still did not go off. I am thinking if the patch job was not done properly - the mechanic did a 'water sipping' test on the patched area but no visible sign of bubbling so that was ok I guess.

I donno what could be the problem. I guess I should try to reset the RF indicator for now?

Also, is it necessary for me to do another patch but from the internal?

Thank you.

Re: E90 - RF Indicator signal did not go away after patching of tyre

Did u reset ur RF Monitor?

Tried but not successful - followed the manual but didn't manage to. But I will be trying it again later.

But question - if the indicator is working fine and the tyre pressure are set accordingly shouldn't the indicator be going off by itself?

:juggle:

For me, when I get a flat, the indicator will come on. I go and patch the tire, I will then reset the RF Monitor 1st and drive around a bit before the RF completes the reset.

Isn't the E90 TPMS reliant on indirect pressure measurement, eg. angular speed, vibration, etc.?

So if the patching was done crudely the TPMS will still appear, and that is correct operation.

that's what i thought too, that the indicator warning will go off once they detect the pressure of the 4 tyres are equalised without needing to initialise the controls.

anyways yesterday i tried to initialise but couldn't. read the manual thoroughly and follow accordingly:
- click the button at the signal indicator lever up/down continuously until the initialisation of RF comes about.

din happen. anybody can advise if i have done it wrongly?

cos when i try to press the button up/down it goes to "Check Control". :juggle:

if you need help just call bmw 24 hrs service - they will guide you how to reset over the phone. I did that on my e90 & my friend's e60.

Dear Waime

The problem lies on the uneven pressure on all the four tires. You just need to ensure that all the four tires are the same. Try it. Good luck.

centurion;333966 said:
Isn't the E90 TPMS reliant on indirect pressure measurement, eg. angular speed, vibration, etc.?

So if the patching was done crudely the TPMS will still appear, and that is correct operation.

centurion, the e90 uses the abs sensors to sense slip or something to that effect (uneven pressure leads to different turn rate of tires) as oppose to a pressure sensor embedded in the rims. after the patch, usually one has to hold down the stalk button to reset the monitor, drive around a bit like Sam says and it should be fine.

just to share my view correct me if i am wrong.
the sensor reads the rpm on the same axial wheel, if the different is beyong the default setting it will prompt you(so need to pump to desired pressure but not necessary same for all 4)(that is no or any sensor attached on your wheel like some after market TPMS which) PML people is very kind to teach you the re setting or re initialise the setting over the phone just give them a call.
Just an advice,you have not done the better way of tyre repair internally?
so you have not known is there any internally demaged or injury.
as i mentioned before ,to fix a flat tyre is not just to stop the leak, is we have to make sure our tyre is SAFE to put on service again after the repaired.MHO

Did you do the reset while the vehicle is stationary? The reset has to be done when the vehicle is not moving.

Hi to all,

Thank you very much for your replies and also constructive suggestions.

To reply some of the questions posted:

1) Immediately after the tyre patching I pumped up the tyres (front 220 back 250).
2) Tried to initialise on my own but couldn't trigger the function though.

Question from me though..

1) May I know which number I can call to request the PML mechanics to teach me how to reinitialise the RF indicators? Is it the booking centre number?
2) Is it too late to do an internal patching now?

Thank you thank you. :juggle:

every time the signal comes on you just need to drive to pump all tyre to the recommende pressure and the same time you should able the time which tyre has got the lower pressure than other 3 (this one got leak) otherwise after pump just re set the system and shold be back to normal
Is still not too late to repair from inside just go the your regular shop ask them to remove from rim and patch from inside(plaster) and ths same time ask them to inspect internally see got any demaged or injured so be sure and you are safe to carry on use it.(dont forget you are the 1 whose is driving it and carry all the passengers.
as for telephone look for breakdown service number, iknow they are very kind to guide you over the phone

I can answer question 2. Yes, u can do internal patching! I did it on my left rear tire recently. But fortunately for me, I have idrive so initialising the RF system worked 1st time, everytime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betstoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back