E90: Warm up or not to warm up?

carrie

hi all, would like to find out if the E90 nid to warm up before driving off?... there is no engine temperature gauge in E90... so usually i wait for 1 or 2 mins then drive off... Is it enuff or say necessary??

Re: E90: Warm up or not to warm up?

Just move off slowly without hitting anything above RPM 3k for about 5 mins.
More kiasu... Best is dun switch on aircon a few mins too...

E90 must warm up first then drive off meh?:confused: damn, no one told me before.

but I usually just drive hard to warm it up , obviously its the wrong way to warm up.:(

i did asked the service advisor & he said its not necessary to warm up ...gd thing also cos i always need to rush for work.

There's no temperature gauge in E90 & cant check thru the on board screen..i still wonder wat happens if the temperature rise.

Ahbengdriver said:
E90 must warm up first then drive off meh?:confused: damn, no one told me before.

but I usually just drive hard to warm it up , obviously its the wrong way to warm up.:(

haaa... fierce leh...

adsnx said:
i did asked the service advisor & he said its not necessary to warm up ...gd thing also cos i always need to rush for work.

There's no temperature gauge in E90 & cant check thru the on board screen..i still wonder wat happens if the temperature rise.

hmmmn... i hav ask the salesman oso when i gt my car... he oso mention no nid to warm up... bt frens told me at least wait for 1 to 2 mins then move off.. tts y i was always wait for 1 to 2 mins...

if no nid to warm up then gd... cos too lazy to wait... if can juz D n go... will b the best...

also another ting... is it ok say everyday i drive for a short distance then i stop my car n leave the engine on for 5mins then aft tt continue on my journey... or shld i off my engine then when go off then start again?... this will usually happen twice a day... once in the morning once in the evening...

I think waiting for 1 to 2 mins is old school liao. Can juz drive off and dun gun the engine till it is warmed up. A typical BMW in Singapore's climate shd be properly warmed up by abt 2km from start. Hope that helps.

P/s: I never switch off my aircon. So when I start engine, aircon will come on at the same time. I juz make sure I clocked 2 km before I gun it.

adsnx said:

There will be a overheating sign. Quote from the manual:

A warning lamp will come on if the coolant, and
therefore the engine, becomes too hot. In addition,
a message will appear on the Control Display.

It will be like when my headlamp blew...a warning sign and buzzer came on...got me worried what happened .

also another ting... is it ok say everyday i drive for a short distance then i stop my car n leave the engine on for 5mins then aft tt continue on my journey... or shld i off my engine then when goin off then start again?... this will usually happen twice a day... once in the morning once in the evening...

won't make a difference given the average number of years we keep our cars and the mileage we chalk up.

i don't drive an e90, but my manual tells me to drive off immediately after starting.

i've read that it's because the engine doesn't generate heat quickly enough when it's left at idle... so the oil remains more viscous for a longer time, resulting in suboptimal lubrication for your engine during that period

Manual did indicate no warm up required. If it was raining or cold day over the night, you will notice the engine will ramp to >1000rpm when you first start. About a minute later, rpm will back to normal level (like auto-choke). I believe no problem for just start & go, even cold days. If not too rush, wait till rpm back to normal speed then move on.

Do not need to warm up the engine, turn on and drive off. However do not gun your engine(ie do not exceed 5k rpm) until your car is warmed up. In hot climate in singapore, the car will warmed up very fast especially newer car where they bypass the radiator until operating temperature.

If you need to idle for 5 minutes, I think it is better to turn it off. You will be burning petrol and polluting the environment. However, if your car is not properly warmed up, it is better not to turn off the engine and leave it on if you can.(ie start and drive for 5 metres)

bmwF1 said:
If you need to idle for 5 minutes, I think it is better to turn it off. You will be burning petrol and polluting the environment. However, if your car is not properly warmed up, it is better not to turn off the engine and leave it on if you can.(ie start and drive for 5 metres)

oh... hmmn... icic... even if i hav to do tis 5 times a wk 2 times a day?... cos actly im afraid on n off the engine like tt might spoil watever part of the car... tts y every time i nber turn off the engine.. though i noe its burning my petrol...

it is a well known fact that the greatest wear on engine parts is during a cold start...

i dont start my car and let it idle for a while... i dont think thats necessary... but what i do do, is just drive normally and keep engine revs under 3k until temps have reached operating temps (i.e. normally takes about 3-5 mins)

what i would never do is start the car, and immediately whack red line.

The reason for the manual telling us to move off immediately after starting up is to ensure that all moving parts are warmed up properly, instead of warming up the engine only if we leave it to idle.

But all mechanical parts work at optimal temperature and revving the engine prematurely when the car has not hit operating temperature will result in excessive wear on the piston ring and the gearbox.

Then again, nowsaday ppl change their car faster than they change their shoe, so i don think many will get to see the detrimental effect....

I got a stupid question. :screwedu:

If my car is parked under the sun, which means it is warm or hot...does it mean no real warm-up is required ? :) bcos car warm means engine also warm? :confused:

Ahbengdriver said:
I got a stupid question. :screwedu:

If my car is parked under the sun, which means it is warm or hot...does it mean no real warm-up is required ? :) bcos car warm means engine also warm? :confused:

I dun think it works that way bro. I have started my car on a hot day after it has been parked under the sun and the temperature gauge did not shoot to the normal range immediately! I think it might juz warm up slightly faster that's all.

the peak operating temperature for engine oil.. is normally around 100 degrees.. so our hot weather... wont make much diff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curveswithmovesdotcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back