EBay chip upgrade

duh!

734dcaf1.jpg

Ok... Curiosity kills the cat. Decided to be cheap and got a chip upgrade from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/BMW-E46-320i-E39-520i-E60-Z3-Z4-2-0i-2-2i-chip-193HP-/170598016248?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b86f24f8#ht_1135wt_922 item plus shipping is SGD206.00, waited 24 days in total for the envelope to arrive.

Just gotten a lobang for a place to help me solder this onto my ECU... Stay tuned! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: EBay chip upgrade

Cool!! Pls let me know once u have it on... I like to have one of that if is good!

duh!;617729 said:
734dcaf1.jpg

Ok... Curiosity kills the cat. Decided to be cheap and got a chip upgrade from ebay. eBay.com.sg: BMW E46 320i E39 520i E60 Z3 Z4 2.0i 2.2i chip 193HP (item 170598016248 end time Mar 03, 2011 19:00:51 SGT) item plus shipping is SGD206.00, waited 24 days in total for the envelope to arrive.

Just gotten a lobang for a place to help me solder this onto my ECU... Stay tuned! :)

dude... its a chip... need to sit on a PCB... to the average Joe, its a daunting task.. to a repair technician who always works in a static free environment doing this day in day out.. its a walk in the park....

Wow... you're so brave. Wanted to buy those from Ebay long ago but no guts... LOL

Let us know how it goes

duh!;617823 said:
dude... its a chip... need to sit on a PCB... to the average Joe, its a daunting task.. to a repair technician who always works in a static free environment doing this day in day out.. its a walk in the park....

I know it's a chip and it needs to be soldered on a PCB. I know! What I am trying to ask is whether by simply soldering on it will unleash the advertised power or there are some tuning work to be done.

You sound really unfriendly.

Pengful, sorry if i sounded that way dude... No harm intended. Yes, its supposed to be just by replacing the IC, thats all

Ok, latest update guys... done whats necessary... went to the car, did the swap.. car can crank, engine running, step on pedal.... sounds really agressive... happy! But I killed the engine... start again... car crank but cannot start. Checked for loose wiring... remove and reseat all the wiring... tried again, still same story.. so, now... pulled the ECU out again... given to my buddy to put back old chip.

Sad ending! :(

Morale of the story : You wanna play safe, pay more, go to a shop where you can easily fall back to if things dont turn out the way you expected.... hehehehe....

Thats all, the end.

Ah... Guess thats the reason why this mod is kinda uncommon. Hope your car is alright

Car is ok after reverting back to original... Oh well.. U know... Win some.. Loose some... Hehehe... At least we share good and bad shit here...

duh!;618113 said:
Car is ok after reverting back to original... Oh well.. U know... Win some.. Loose some... Hehehe... At least we share good and bad shit here...

No pain no gain mah!:juggle:
I'm glad that you share your experience with forumers here.

One up for your courage to mess with this mod.:laughlik:

So glad that your ride is back to normal after removing it.:cloud9:

1c14b8f4.jpg

ECU board before upgrade
2637ea17.jpg

This is after the replacement. All done in static free state, All solder points inspected thru a magnifying glass.

This is not to be done at home w a 25bucks soldering iron!!! Definitely not, lol.

Will be my last ever mod of this kind, was worried sick car wont start after the replacement. Do not do this guys, hehehehe

Give it back to the Ebay seller or maybe get an answer from them :)

Its not working and honestly, i would not want to take another risk... Not unless i have a spare ECU in hand.

I have written to them citing the problems.. Now waiting. Honestly, i dun expect anything....

duh!;618354 said:
Its not working and honestly, i would not want to take another risk... Not unless i have a spare ECU in hand.

I have written to them citing the problems.. Now waiting. Honestly, i dun expect anything....

You must have love the rush when it started up the first time ..........

Oh hell yeah! It sounded really sweet.

you've got balls for DIY like this. could have been an expensive experiment but luckily worked out ok...

Yup agreed, could have been the most expensive mistake ever, lol. But what got me here really was the great amount of savings that in theory, i could and should have enjoyed....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamej88food
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back