Encouraging Changi Track News!

Re: Encouraging Changi Track News!

TripleM;649094 said:
Which Ch showing that?

i thk i saw it on supersports check the listing.

24 Heures du Mans 2011 − Chronos

this link shows the qualifying results & again BMW M3 beats the Ferrari 458, Porsche 911 RSR & Corvette to take pro class pole position!! Hope they win their class!!

Any doubts about which car is faster at the racetrack has been put to rest :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless they get dedicated investors willing to pour capital in, this will take a long time to materialise. Unless the Sports Council does something abt it. Certainly won't be on time, just a matter of when and if it will ever be built. I certainly hope it gets built.

racingminds;649353 said:
Unless they get dedicated investors willing to pour capital in, this will take a long time to materialise. Unless the Sports Council does something abt it. Certainly won't be on time, just a matter of when and if it will ever be built. I certainly hope it gets built.

my guess is its never gona happen... with our fantastic COE system, it discourages car ownership & therefore not enuuff users to make it profitbale plus land & construction cost is a big hurdle

if it was a sure deal, im sure OBS wld have done it since he has all the racing lobangs from F1.

Actually I think it depends on how the track owner want to market the track to the general tracking community. From what I hear, Sepang actually makes more money from track days than Formula 1. And nowadays, tracking seems to be very popular. Just look at the take-up rate of our BMW trackdays. Even TCC trackdays are fully booked in the last few months within a week from starting registration. Sustainability of this interest is the problem. But with the usual Singaporean style of charging an arm and a leg for any recreation with the slightest novelty, track fees might be high and deter the public from organising track days locally. To regular trackies, they are already used to the trip up north to Sepang. So if the Singapore track is too expensive, everyone will just continue going to Sepang. But if the Singapore track's fee is competitive enough, it will attract more trackies. Even $100 more expensive than Sepang is OK. After all, the toll charges, petrol etc from driving up is easily $100.

COE is expensive, but there is always a cycle. Having a track locally means more people might want to keep track cars instead of a road car. Speaking of this, i have a question. Is it true that If my track car is registered in Singapore, I cannot keep the car in Malaysia for a period longer than 3 months? Meaning every 3 months I have to tow the car back to Singapore before I can bring in back to Malaysia? If this is true, and if the Singapore track is not happening, then it makes more sense to register/import the car directly to Malaysia instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

MachoMan;649431 said:
COE is expensive, but there is always a cycle. Having a track locally means more people might want to keep track cars instead of a road car. Speaking of this, i have a question. Is it true that If my track car is registered in Singapore, I cannot keep the car in Malaysia for a period longer than 3 months? Meaning every 3 months I have to tow the car back to Singapore before I can bring in back to Malaysia? If this is true, and if the Singapore track is not happening, then it makes more sense to register/import the car directly to Malaysia instead.

Trackcar popularity at the SG track if it gets done, will depend on a range of factors from cost of storage at the track, number and quality of service providers located at or right next to the track, towing rules within Singapore, etc.

Currently taking a non road reg trackcar between SG and MY is a pain and expensive whether you do it the legal or illegal way. The main problem is customs on the Malaysian side. Insurance is an issue, and even the shortest of trips costs a lot cos you have to tow it around. If you take the risk and drive it and get caught penalties can be big and if trackcars are focused to the point of being all out racecars, they just aren't good on the roads, way too obvious. A lot of SG and MY garages who are familiar with all this actually try very hard to keep their sub-pure-racecar trackcars road registered for ease of transport across borders and for transport within MY.

But with regards to your question, you can have a SG trackar in Malaysia for up to a year, if you apply for the extension. After that you have to bring it back, but you can return to MY almost instantly after crossing back into SG.

Getting a fully legal Malaysian trackcar is one option that I need to explore more thoroughly too but also means that all your service providers will have to be Malaysian. Have to make a whole new bunch of friends so you're not cornered by too few. Haven't really started on the research, but from what I understand there are only a few companies that have licenses to import non road reg cars. Mofaz racing is one of them I believe.

===

Any doubts about which car is faster at the racetrack has been put to rest
Sorry golfgti, but the racecars have almost nothing to do with the roadcars..just look at the specs mate. The FIA runs performance balancing (different weight limits, restrictors, boost levels, fuel capacity, etc.) to level the field and sometimes they get it right, sometimes not, depending on who you ask. The argument is unending.

Don't mind if I detract a little.

Earlier this year with my intention of relocating from Perth to Singapore, I explored the possibility of shipping my track car to KL for track activities. From what I gathered, it was possible but my car has to be registered under a Malaysian name. Storage then becomes an issue as far as workshop/security is concerned.

Because I don't reside in Singapore, which meant that I can't go to SIC on a regular basis for network and handshakes, this was not an option for me. Thereafter I did not pursue further research on track car storage in Malaysia. I may do so in near future when I get to network with more people.

As for Changi, I reckon track car ownership can be done.

Here in Perth, owning a track car meant that you have to apply for B-Reg or Rally Registration. You don't have to pay "COE" if that make sense.

B-Reg allows you to drive your car from home to workshop or events. This system did not work as it was abused.

Rally Reg is now the only remaining means of owning a track car. Essentially it is similar to B-Reg, however the installation of FIA or CAMS approved rollcage is mandatory and you need a logbook to enter details of events you have competed in.

You will need to entered a minimum of XYZ amount of events per year and renewal is on yearly basis. If the car does not satisfy the yearly required number of events, your Rally Reg is then revoked and you start over.

AC Schnitzer;651452 said:
Don't mind if I detract a little.

Earlier this year with my intention of relocating from Perth to Singapore, I explored the possibility of shipping my track car to KL for track activities. From what I gathered, it was possible but my car has to be registered under a Malaysian name. Storage then becomes an issue as far as workshop/security is concerned.

Because I don't reside in Singapore, which meant that I can't go to SIC on a regular basis for network and handshakes, this was not an option for me. Thereafter I did not pursue further research on track car storage in Malaysia. I may do so in near future when I get to network with more people.

As for Changi, I reckon track car ownership can be done.

Here in Perth, owning a track car meant that you have to apply for B-Reg or Rally Registration. You don't have to pay "COE" if that make sense.

B-Reg allows you to drive your car from home to workshop or events. This system did not work as it was abused.

Rally Reg is now the only remaining means of owning a track car. Essentially it is similar to B-Reg, however the installation of FIA or CAMS approved rollcage is mandatory and you need a logbook to enter details of events you have competed in.

You will need to entered a minimum of XYZ amount of events per year and renewal is on yearly basis. If the car does not satisfy the yearly required number of events, your Rally Reg is then revoked and you start over.

mite as well just buy a condo in KL, buy a sportscar there & put it in the parking lot.

golfgti;651469 said:
mite as well just buy a condo in KL, buy a sportscar there & put it in the parking lot.

But no road going sportscar will ever perform as well as a well planned and well built dedicated trackcar or racecar dollar for dollar, running costs factored.

Shaun;651987 said:
But no road going sportscar will ever perform as well as a well planned and well built dedicated trackcar or racecar dollar for dollar, running costs factored.

I think along the same line too. Track cars perform better, safer and has less restrictions that a road going car will encounter in daily driving. But owning and keeping a track car does require some good planning and research. Might be worth it to start a thread to share info on the requirements or considerations to keeping a track car. Whether in Malaysia or Singapore.

i just realized even if the track was built, which insurance coy is going to insure for track use here?

you never know... if there's business to be made, some companies may come out with some package. There was never a track in singapore before so there was no cover to be bought. Else, just go in uninsured like what we've all been doing for eons in msian tracks loh. Coz track is a private road, no need road tax, coe, insurance, and hopefully dont have erp.

golfgti;654978 said:
i just realized even if the track was built, which insurance coy is going to insure for track use here?

A lot of eyes will b there.

There is motorsport insurance cover in other parts of the world which can b bought.
Won't b cheap tho

Heard bout this when I was active in some car club

Irwin, the Australian rally reg system seems sensible and practical.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, but it seems that constructon at Changi Motorsport Hub hasn't made any progress for quite a while. Does anybody have any updates ?

Buying a GoKart or storing a race car in Malaysia seems like the only option.

It seems anyone with insight into the project seems pessimistic about it. Best case is often said to be 2 - 3 years out, and worst case is complete failure.

Better to proceed with Malaysian options and karting and not wait around for ideal situation that may very well not happen. How many healthy unencumbered years of life does one have to do this? 2 -3 years is too significant a % of that small total.

Work on Changi Motorsports Hub halted - Channel NewsAsia

Old news I know. I was all along under the impression completion date was supposed to be June or July 2011. Bearing in mind this forecast was given 09-10 period.

Struggling to come up with $10mil for a $370mil project is not a good sign. I can understand why Samsonite fell short of their IPO.

I'll speak to you more on the GoKart option later this year Shaun.

"With just six months to go, and hardly any work done on the Changi Motorsports Hub, observers think chances of meeting the deadline are slim."

No shit, Sherlock.

Oilman;669653 said:
"With just six months to go, and hardly any work done on the Changi Motorsports Hub, observers think chances of meeting the deadline are slim."

No shit, Sherlock.

LOL

LMAO! AAAAAAAaaahhahhahah

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclub777

Latest posts