Engine cannot be fired up during 1st crank

jooggie

Hi All,

my E90 320i was just serviced about a month ago. Besides changing engine oil, I also changed spark plugs and air filther. Batt life was fine during the inspection and the batt is also less than 2 yrs old.

over the long wkend, i was unable to start the car during the 1st crank. i can only fire up the engine on the 2nd crank. this happens in the morning when the engine has not been warmed up yet.

anyone can suggest what could possibly be wrong with my car? My mileage is about 60,000km.

thanks!

Re: Engine cannot be fired up during 1st crank

Most prob is the battery.

Had the same prob with my E90. Initially, almost everyday 1st crank also cannot. but never think too much into it.

Then went overseas 3 days, come back, try to start, cannot. Called for Emergency Service. Checked and found battery unserviceable. Even though door can unlock, radio got sound, but battery no power to start car.

Paid $300++

Thanks for the response. I suspect that maybe the case... bought the cheap Korean batt from Hurry about 1 yr ago. hope it's still under warranty.

jooggie;532397 said:
Thanks for the response. I suspect that maybe the case... bought the cheap Korean batt from Hurry about 1 yr ago. hope it's still under warranty.
Please treat ur car better by installing an AGM battery. Cheapo batt don't last.

jooggie;532397 said:

1 year battery life is very short

davidtch;532429 said:
Please treat ur car better by installing an AGM battery. Cheapo batt don't last.
+1. big no no to al cheapo batteries

varta also not bad

the plan was to change car when the 5 yr mark reached but guess i'll put this plan on hold now. thanks all for the replies.

davidtch;532429 said:
AGM battery is worth every single cent

I went to R2D just now and they put my car through the computer. seems like my car has stick valves. Rod told me there's too much carbon deposits in the car and reocmmended I wack the car more often.

Thanks to R2D for looking at my car at such short notice

the cheap Korean batt is still ok :)

Hi,

Just thought I'd give an update on my ride. My car got worse as the week went by. It took longer and more attempts for me just to start the engine.

I left the car overnight with R2D last fri and collected it the following afternoon.

Rod spent hours investigating and changing every conceivable part that could be giving the problem, including the starter motor, valvetronic, fuel pump etc. Finally, he discovered that there was a relay switch that was not working properly due to the contact point being dirty. This relay is the thing that controls the fuel pump. Anyway, to cut a long story short, Rod removed all the new components and just changed the relay for me... heng ah, save me money :)

Had I gone back to pee em elle, i think i'd be short of 1 arm and 1 leg now.

Anyway. I've promised Rod not to give him such complex problems to solve in future... fingers crossed.

Many thanks to Rod & Nadia for their fantastic service!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back