Engine consuming engine oil - 2005 Pre-FL 320i

lchan76

Hi Bros,

I've been on Mobil 1 5w30 engine oil for a while now. Recently, I'm experiencing super high engine oil consumption. I need to top up 1L of engine oil for every 1000km.

I have no leaking problem as I have fixed all my oil leaks and changed most of the seals and gaskets. The undercarriage is dry as per my last oil change about 3 weeks ago.

Wanted to check if anyone had encountered the same problem. If so what did you do to fix this? Is this normal?

I understand that normally for such high engine oil consumption, the normal assumption is that my piston rings are worn out and need replacement.

I also understand that some folks have advised changing to a higher viscosity e.g. 10w40 or 10w50. Does this help at all? I would assume changing to a higher viscosity engine oil only masks the problem and is not a permanent fix.

Any sort of feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Re: Engine consuming engine oil - 2005 Pre-FL 320i

If it's the piston rings then install an oil catch tank to trap the oil seeping through via the PCV and see the 1 L of oil ended up in the tank............just an idea.

And the thicker oil should help. What's the typical ambient temperature of your car ?

lchan76;642937 said:
Hi Bros,

I've been on Mobil 1 5w30 engine oil for a while now. Recently, I'm experiencing super high engine oil consumption. I need to top up 1L of engine oil for every 1000km.

I have no leaking problem as I have fixed all my oil leaks and changed most of the seals and gaskets. The undercarriage is dry as per my last oil change about 3 weeks ago.

Wanted to check if anyone had encountered the same problem. If so what did you do to fix this? Is this normal?

I understand that normally for such high engine oil consumption, the normal assumption is that my piston rings are worn out and need replacement.

I also understand that some folks have advised changing to a higher viscosity e.g. 10w40 or 10w50. Does this help at all? I would assume changing to a higher viscosity engine oil only masks the problem and is not a permanent fix.

Any sort of feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Dear Ang Tao bun,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by ambient temperature? Are you referring to the external temperature readings found in the cockpit?

Generally it's around 32-35 (these few weeks prior to the hot weather I guess).

Red_Bean_Bun;642944 said:
If it's the piston rings then install an oil catch tank to trap the oil seeping through via the PCV and see the 1 L of oil ended up in the tank............just an idea.

And the thicker oil should help. What's the typical ambient temperature of your car ?

Its a stat that's captured - heresay is that it has a bearing on the thickness of the oil. The higher the temp, the thicker the oil should be.

Where do I get that statistic? Also, what should a normal temperature be hovering around?

Red_Bean_Bun;643037 said:
Its a stat that's captured - heresay is that it has a bearing on the thickness of the oil. The higher the temp, the thicker the oil should be.

You can change from this oil to that oil but that will not stop the high oil consumption problem that you are having. Get the engine checked again. Something somewhere is not right...

I used to have a minor oil leak problem so I bought the Liqui Moli stop leak additive thinking it will do the job. Well, it did not.

Guys, wanna bring this thread back up a little. My 320i of 2005 started giving a 1/3 ratio of oil qty on my meter so this alarmed me as I remembered it was topped to 1/2 OK level my last svc, checked and at only 600KM it went down to 1/3. Gonna get my gasket seals replaced by this week.

Though, the oil I'm using is 5W-40. Hope this is a good temp as it's reading 32 - 36 range temp.

I'll update you guys if I see some improvement or any changes after the work this Thurs at the shop.

Extra-ordinary excessive oil consumption is definitely not normal. After I fixed a minor oil leakage problem about 2 months back, my oil level has been consistently full without I having to top up or whatsoever.

blacklights;644076 said:
Guys, wanna bring this thread back up a little. My 320i of 2005 started giving a 1/3 ratio of oil qty on my meter so this alarmed me as I remembered it was topped to 1/2 OK level my last svc, checked and at only 600KM it went down to 1/3. Gonna get my gasket seals replaced by this week.

Though, the oil I'm using is 5W-40. Hope this is a good temp as it's reading 32 - 36 range temp.

I'll update you guys if I see some improvement or any changes after the work this Thurs at the shop.

Just to update, I sent my bimmer to Riverview for an initial fix on the oil filler cap replacement and some seals replaced, include the oil filter gasket seal. Will monitor the condition over the next few weeks to see if this helps with addressing the leakage.

(labour = 5 hours, include awaiting parts arrival)

Note to self: the cost of vacuum pump (overflowed with oil), possibly cost about $400. Any bros care to comment about this? Vacuum pump seems to be linked closely with brake booster.

blacklights;644358 said:
Just to update, I sent my bimmer to Riverview for an initial fix on the oil filler cap replacement and some seals replaced, include the oil filter gasket seal. Will monitor the condition over the next few weeks to see if this helps with addressing the leakage.

(labour = 5 hours, include awaiting parts arrival)

Note to self: the cost of vacuum pump (overflowed with oil), possibly cost about $400. Any bros care to comment about this? Vacuum pump seems to be linked closely with brake booster.

What did Kanesh said about the pump ?

Vacuum pump powers the brake booster and they are interconnected. If the piping or especially in this case the pump is worn or leaked into and filled with oil, it will sort of "jam" the brakes. Making them innefective or non functional during braking.

As far as what I heard or understood this is what i got. Do you agree or that you have any comment on this?

in SG it will be best for 5w50.
if low budget 5w 40.
brand new car 0w 40 , can use for the first 3 years . then will be either 5w50 or 5w40.
i follow this formula for many years , it really works.

Dear Bros,

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

If I use 50 series oil...I guess my concern would be the throttle feel good factor and that the car will run more sluggishly. Think the other thing is fuel economy will decrease as well.

But for this case - I am assuming and agreeing to pengful that it only masks the problem and not eliminating it.

jeffrey;644523 said:
if low budget 5w 40.
brand new car 0w 40 , can use for the first 3 years . then will be either 5w50 or 5w40.

jeffrey;644523 said:
if low budget 5w 40.

wow 50 weight oil? isn't that very thick?

I'm using 5w40 on my 5 yr old E90

for conti car 50 will be best as our engine is hotter.

Just for a note, 50 weight sure gives better viscosity but, I had a thought about this and in fact it takes the engine a lot more force just to keep it moving within. So, I don't know sticking with 5w-40 seemed to be fine for me so far on my 6years.

jeffrey;644718 said:
I think it is B/S. For N52, LL-01FE is 0w-30. Even Lambo is using 0W-30.

jeffrey;644718 said:

Unless you got some really big turbo or supercharger mod going on ......................

**Updates**

Oil consumption was pretty crazy - about 500km per quart of oil. Went in yesterday to get my car serviced. I checked on google on N46 engine oil consumption problem and it seemed that a common problem was the PCV/CCV/Oil Seperator Valve would get blocked - changing this was one of the solutions (if this was indeed the problem). Opened up the car and so it seems all the pipes and the valve was blocked - so much sludge in between them. Got it changed and will monitor the problem.

Will update in the next 500km.

Hi

I went to check aircon but was told engine leaking...sigh.. Was quoted 1.8k and need 2 days at a workshop at bukit merah. For my case Oil leaking is visible in the engine compartment but so far no fault signal and no problem with ride. Engine oil meter reads healthy. Mechanic say still can use but don't want to risk it. just wanted to check with those bros that changed gasket...what was the damage?.

Driving '07 e90.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubet77tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back