Engine consuming engine oil - 2005 Pre-FL 320i

Re: Engine consuming engine oil - 2005 Pre-FL 320i

propertyhans;676177 said:
Hi

I went to check aircon but was told engine leaking...sigh.. Was quoted 1.8k and need 2 days at a workshop at bukit merah. For my case Oil leaking is visible in the engine compartment but so far no fault signal and no problem with ride. Engine oil meter reads healthy. Mechanic say still can use but don't want to risk it. just wanted to check with those bros that changed gasket...what was the damage?.

Driving '07 e90.

Thanks!

Which gasket? Is it the valve gasket? The one where the engine oil cap area is leaking? If yes, should cost less than sgd1000.

tortoisespeedsir;676208 said:
Which gasket? Is it the valve gasket? The one where the engine oil cap area is leaking? If yes, should cost less than sgd1000.

I think it's better to go to a few other mechanic shops or reputable ones to have it checked. They all get their parts from similar supplier anyway.

What matters is the quality of workmanship and the transparency during pricing (mine didn't go beyond $300) I think no harm to have it checked and fixed just to save time at Riverview at AMK autopoint.

I got my engine oil fixed and they took the effort to have the best solution possible while considering the price at the end. Besides, it's near to some shopping malls if the repair is gonna take time.

Hey thanks for your replies!

Mechanic did not mention change which gasket as he say need to send car in for them to check. He showed me the dried oil stains (quite big about A4 size) collected below the timing belt area and say there's a leak and need to change gasket.. cost about 1.8k and 2 days.(btw the boss and mechanic wasn't pushy or anything..they are actually quite friendly... place is packed with other bmws). As I had done engine oil servicing at another workshop about few months ago, suspect also could be the change in engine oil viscosity as I did not have any leaking problem before that when car was serviced at pml. Current mileage is 103k.

Will probably seek a second opinion with another shop as mentioned by bro backlights. Thanks all for help! Will update again.

Another workshop at amk autopoint told me my engine oil leak problem very common among 3series....recommended me to change the following one shot so will not waste time :

Valve cover gasket
Oil sump gasket
Oil filter housing
Flywheel oil seal
Radiator top and bottom hose
Oil dip stick seal
Water engine cover

Damage 1500 and 2 days work

Told me while changing and if they discover any more parts to change will call me.

propertyhans;676859 said:
Another workshop at amk autopoint told me my engine oil leak problem very common among 3series....recommended me to change the following one shot so will not waste time :

Valve cover gasket
Oil sump gasket
Oil filter housing
Flywheel oil seal
Oil dip stick seal
Water engine cover

Told me while changing and if they discover any more parts to change will call me.

Euro auto's Peter or Ah Leng?

propertyhans;676859 said:

Valve cover gasket
Oil sump gasket
Oil filter housing
Flywheel oil seal
Oil dip stick seal
Water engine cover

A mechanic feedback to me.. engine of a 320i prone to have more oil leaking problem as compare to 325i-330i. Is it true??

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarren;676937 said:
A mechanic feedback to me.. engine of a 320i prone to have more oil leaking problem as compare to 325i-330i. Is it true??
That's correct

steam;677745 said:
That's correct

No wonder he told me I'm lucky to have chosen the 325i & not 320i.. cos I told him I almost bought a 320i but ended up on the 325i.

ohoh...Mine's a 320i... wonder how long can a new seal last? Anyone knows the typical lifespan?

Hi guys

I just send my car to riverview. I was told I have a serious oil leak problem and I needed to change the oil sump, oil gasket and a couple of stuff. I was quoted $1900. Need your advice to know if the price is fair.

Went to another workshop at defu lane. The mechanic (old uncle) help me top up half a quart higher viscosity engine oil 5w50 royal purple and see how. Been observing for past 1 or 2 weeks. Seems like problem solved! No more leak and engine oil check daily does not indicate any decrease. But engine feels slightly sluggish though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwinltd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back