engine oil... 0w40 and 5w40

Terry

Legendary 10 Years
if im not wrong it doesnt matter to us right? as the front numbers is for winter countries rating?

so it doesnt matter to us? how to read those numbers and what they mean anyways?

thanks

Re: engine oil... 0w40 and 5w40

as long as you are using synthetics, using the thinnest available oil (cold range) is always beneficial for cold start lubrication. i will go for 0w-XX over 5w-XX whenever possible. Assuming all else equal

taking a sample of oil from a manufacturer,

Grade ............................................ Viscosity @ 40º C
0w-40 .......................................................75 cSt
5w-40 .......................................................81 cSt
10w-40 .....................................................98 cSt

even in our climate, the 0w-40 will start to lub the engine properly earlier than the rest

Last edited by a moderator:

So even if manual says 5w40.. Optimal better for our climate is still 0w40?

Is it common for 2.5l engine though after serviced by pm 3000km only , the info prompt us to to up 1 liter engine oil? Looks scary

powersteer;597453 said:
even in our climate, the 0w-40 will start to lub the engine properly earlier than the rest

And vaporise faster in the BMW engine. My opinion is 5W is the most optimal.

watten;609088 said:
Is it common for 2.5l engine though after serviced by pm 3000km only , the info prompt us to to up 1 liter engine oil? Looks scary

Happened to me recently. Had to top up within 3000km and 2000km in sequence. I drained all the oil out (this oil was from PML as I had done my servicing there). Found that the OBC sensor was correct, only 5.5L left. So I refilled 7L of another brand of engine oil to verify that there was actually an oil consumption problem with the engine. Well...touch wood...but it's about 2000km since then and last I checked, oil level still at MAX. Crossing my fingers that this oil lasts another 3000km at least before needing to top up :thumbsup:

Ya, I was shocked n worry the gasket gone case. One of my friend told me it is common for BMW with 2.5l and above to consume engine oil that way. Then I would say it's a stupid engine

And only when it is new...

or at least in my case, it stop burning oil after my first service at 12k

Any bros running redline engine oil? Would like to know your comments...happy with mobil 1 gold currently but would be keen to try out redline during next oil change..

watten;609088 said:

fragglerock;609253 said:
Happened to me recently. Had to top up within 3000km and 2000km in sequence. I drained all the oil out (this oil was from PML as I had done my servicing there). Found that the OBC sensor was correct, only 5.5L left. So I refilled 7L of another brand of engine oil to verify that there was actually an oil consumption problem with the engine. Well...touch wood...but it's about 2000km since then and last I checked, oil level still at MAX. Crossing my fingers that this oil lasts another 3000km at least before needing to top up :thumbsup:

the onboard computer actually does not reflect the total qty of engine oil in the engine but rather the top 1L +- a bit. So each bar on the idrive reflects abt 200 to 250 ml of lube.

BMW's tolerance for engine oil consumption is approx. 1L for every 1,000 miles, i.e. 1,600km but if you need to top up >1L within 3,000km, it's worth getting your car checked.

On my car, I change my oil approx. every 5,000km and the engine oil indicator is always at MAX throughout the service interval.

I'm on 5W40 lubes btw.

wad oil does pml uses? anyway i think the bmw oem engine oil kinda cmi

watten;609329 said:
Ya, I was shocked n worry the gasket gone case. One of my friend told me it is common for BMW with 2.5l and above to consume engine oil that way. Then I would say it's a stupid engine

This is a common for 5series and it is a problem. My uncle had his whole engine changed under warranty. Go PML and asked for a new engine..

Sorry for OT

320i XL can use grade 10w40?
Sorry for silly question

I just grabbed a bottle of 5W50 this morning without thinking. Usually I use the recommended 0W40. Ok to pour the 5W50 in my 320i?? My stupid car is also guzzling the oil and I suspect something could be wrong with it... just bought it second-hand I think it's a lemon! Should I bring to PML for a thorough look??

The owner has since switched to Martini Sint 0w40 group 4+5 engine oil for better performance..

Sint 40R/T is the highest quality 0w40 full synthetic lubricant suited to the extended oil drain intervals offered by BMW and other leading engine manufacturers. It greatly reduces engine wear and friction while increasing fuel economy. Sint 40R/T meets the latest requirements for modern high technology performance engines and is formulated to be low viscosity at cold temperatures therefore providing greater protection during start up. It reaches maximum viscosity at high temperatures ensuring greater resistance to breakdown in harsh operating conditions. Superior Synthetic formulation guarantees maximum protection for high tech-high output, turbo and non turbo, petrol, L P gas and diesel engines. API SM(SN now)-CF4 Islac GF-4

MMouse;625884 said:
A testimonial of a BMW owner having similar issue on the oil..Owner switched to Martini Racing 10w40 group 3+4+5 synthetic base oil and managed to improve the situation..

testimonial11.jpg picture by MartiniRacingProducts - Photobucket

Wh0cArEs;625898 said:
Wassup with the ad? :thinking:

To highlight the engine guzzling engine oil may be motor oil related...can see if changing oil helps..and the testimonial did shows it helped...

I can't believe it. This morning when I reached office, the engine malfunction yellow light came on!!! Where should I bring this piece of broken metal?? PML or outside workshop??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportlat
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back