Engine Oil Being Consumed?!

Doodles

My E60 is due for its 2nd servicing next week with about 19000km on the clock.

This morning a warning light came on - "engine oil at its min", was quite concerned so call PML to speak with a service adviser. Was told that this is normal, BMW cars consume engine oil. When i asked whether he thinks i should come by immediately to rectify the problem, his answer is no need. just go to any petrol kiosk to top up a litre of engine oil and come by for the scheduled servicing.

Frankly i'm a bit miffed at being told to go top up a bit of oil at a petrol kiosk, car's under warranty and ive never had another car that drank engine oil! Is it safe in this case to wait a few days till my scheduled servicing? or should i head to straight to PML for them to address the issue?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Engine Oil Being Consumed?!

It's normal dude. Just go to any petrol kiosk and top up with a litre of oil. Just make sure its the same grade of oil.

My E60 needs minimum 3 - 4 top-ups within 10,000km.. Not sure why is it so thirsty but i have gotten used to it..

my manual says safe to travel up to 200km after warning appears...

Renyu;572641 said:
My E60 needs minimum 3 - 4 top-ups within 10,000km.. Not sure why is it so thirsty but i have gotten used to it..

what brand and grade of EO you use?

huh i never had another car that 'drank engine oil'... engine oil doesn't mix in the combustion chamber, right? i dunno but i hope my e90 doesn't do the same thing. if engine oil is running away then it's either leaking or evaporating.

yea just go top up... a litre will do

Mobil 1 0W40, or Castrol Syntec Formula 0W30

Redplanet;572663 said:
what brand and grade of EO you use?

Was on OWS and now running on Torco SR-5.. Can't remember which grade..
But there's no form of leakage or wadsoever..
The car has been a thirsty hippo for quite awhile already.. haha..

OK ignore what I said. I'm learning more and more everyday. I did some searching and finally understand why engine oil gets bruned liao, thanks to a bro mentioning water vapor, I found info on the PCV. This forum is awesome!!!

My engine oil light comes up intermittently recently and I was told by a friend that we have to top up the EO when the light comes on....thankfully this thread confirms this....
thanks guys :)

My E90 never drink engine oil for the past 2.5yrs until recently. The past 8 weeks, engine oil suddenly dip down the just below half tank mark. Could it be the symptom of engine oil turning bad? It's only 8500km from the last service.

I think somewhere leaking...recently I send my car and change all the #@#$%&^&* O-rings, valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, vacuum pump, oil seperators. plastic oil hoses and now oil level dont drop anymore and it also solve my erratic idling speed...its rock steady now.... 320i sure need to replace all these after 3 years old..

Last edited by a moderator:

detach8;572728 said:
OK ignore what I said. I'm learning more and more everyday. I did some searching and finally understand why engine oil gets bruned liao, thanks to a bro mentioning water vapor, I found info on the PCV. This forum is awesome!!!

Hi, care to share on this PCV issue link? As mentioned PCV aka oil separator? Many thanks.

Oh, no lah it's just a theory thing that I read up by searching the web. The PCV may contribute to your engine 'drinking' the engine oil. But I may be wrong, better to ask an expert :)

Opss.. 8500km is consider a lot ar?
Anyway, send car to PML to service liao, now get new engine oil at full tank mark. Also changed megatronic, now gear change a lot smoother, but still not as smooth as a lexus.

Car was less than 6 mths old when Engine Oil Low warning light came on. Did a check according the manual and top up half a litre of oil and all was well for another 2 months. Light came on back again. Called up PML and ask and was told that as long as I dun find any leaking oil or white residual, it's ok and can wait till scheduled service to ask to be checked.

Sent it in last month, and the Service Advisor told me it's was due to a faulty sensor and had it replaced.

i suspect mine is leaking.... where did u get yours serviced? mine's out of warranty and prefer to get it serviced by outside workshops.... can recommend?

zorro;572790 said:
I think somewhere leaking...recently I send my car and change all the #@#$%&^&* O-rings, valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, vacuum pump, oil seperators. plastic oil hoses and now oil level dont drop anymore and it also solve my erratic idling speed...its rock steady now.... 320i sure need to replace all these after 3 years old..

jocoy;575064 said:
i suspect mine is leaking.... where did u get yours serviced? mine's out of warranty and prefer to get it serviced by outside workshops.... can recommend?

Try BOSS or BVO.

You can get it serviced in any of the recondmended workshop here but make it a point to tell them to change all the 0-Rings...You go to Real OEM,com and you can know all the O-rings that can can cause oil leak including the 8 O-rings that seperate the spark plug chamber...

jocoy;575064 said:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zo10win
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back