Engine Oil dries up?

Ahbengdriver

Legendary 10 Years
Check the on board PC and found that the oil level was about 3/4-ish. So added whatever left over I found and noticed the indicator shows like 4/5-ish . Damn engine sounded sweeter after that:)

Oil dries up and must occasionally top up?

Re: Engine Oil dries up?

Ahbengdriver;200163 said:
Check the on board PC and found that the oil level was about 3/4-ish. So added whatever left over I found and noticed the indicator shows like 4/5-ish . Damn engine sounded sweeter after that:)

Oil dries up and must occasionally top up?

i tink BMW like dat 1 leh mine after 6 mths oso must top up si me li you?

Mine E60 523 mileage 6K , engine oil from full to 1 bar on screen, call up PML, they told me its normal, and tell me to wait till the screen show +1 (assuming its very low) den go to PML for 1 litre top up ?? would it make the engine stressful ?:furious:

errrr, check your oil often guys, your newer model BMW's like to use oil for some reason, no oil, engine kaput, get it. I check mine every week, old school type, dipstick!!

where did all the oil went to? My BMW fried goreng pisang with the oil?

ABD, engine oil thingy like that one.. if after few months your indicator shows 5/4 ish.. then "Huat Liao"... can become oil tycoon oredi.

jawzsg;207771 said:
ABD, engine oil thingy like that one.. if after few months your indicator shows 5/4 ish.. then "Huat Liao"... can become oil tycoon oredi.

I last emptied like 2 litres of left over synthetic oil into my car and its only showing slightlty more than 3/4 full nia on the computer. If it doesnt vapourise, does it mean it thicken? Otherwise where did u end up? Or depositsed at some places in the engine?:confused: . Anyway, I will be due for oil change soon at PML so see what c*ock the say

ABD,

i was asking my CSA the other time, he said if its before first 25,000km oil level drops just top it up, after that shouldn't. so if it happens ask me to send it back to them to check....

what did your CSA say?

cheers!

I havent send in my car yet so lets see what they say. "jiak yiu" has a new meaning to me now....kekekeke

Hi ,I just top up 1 litre of the engine oil which I bought from PML very expensive $ 25 for just 1litre . Can I use other brand ?? or do I have to use the BMW oil ? I just top up milage 15500 km ... is that normal ?? Thanks guy .... !

The SA tells me the new engines are known to consume oil. Nothing to worry about, as the servicing interval is long at 25,000, u shd check and top up every 7000.

But most pple change oil at 10,000 due to our hot climate.

Typical bmw service intervals are long....and the oil rating is 30W for BMW oils.
During engine movement, the piston moves up n down.
There are piston rings in between the piston and cylinder walls.
Oil is squirted in between the rings to lubricate the walls.
Oil will be pushed out, the piston rings will scrap it away for every stroke.
BMW oils are rated at 30W, so its pretty thin and if combustion temps are high, some will get "eaten" up during this process.
Its normal.
An engine with bigger clearances will last longer and stronger.
Evo engines are known to last as they have bigger clearances then say a subaru block.

An amusing letter sent to Car & Driver this month's issue - his new BMW did not have a dipstick. And the sensor was not helpful as it gave intermitent results. Sent in the BMW to the service centre and the service tech told him that the internal sensors were inaccurate for the moment, and the only way to find out whether there was enough oil or not was to put the BMW on a rack, drain the oil, measure it, then fill the oil again.

Don't add if you don't trust your sensors. If you add too much your CATS die.

In addition, the reason why you lost so much oil was probably because you caned your car a little last week, causing the water etc. mixed with the oil to vapourize.

ejay20tee;214155 said:
Oil is squirted in between the rings to lubricate the walls.

The walls are lubricated primarily by splash oiling and oil clinging to the cross hatch or being absorbed into the liner material (where applicable - ie Nikasil) They are also lubricated as a side effect of oil jets directed at piston underside for piston cooling (where applicable). Oil is never directly injected or squirted in between the rings and wall.

An engine with bigger clearances will last longer and stronger.
Not true. Larger clearances often times yield power, sometimes lose power, depending on component quality (stiffness, finish, etc). Larger clearances always lead to quicker wear though. All else equal the longest lasting engines run the tightest clearances possible. So much so that the top forms of racing where max life at X power is target, require engine pre-heating before clearances between dissimilar metals will open up to a point where starting the engine is safe. At the very pinnacle, at certain ambient temps, the engine will physically be unable to be turned over because of interference in the mains and/or bores.

The reason Evo engines handle power different from Subaru engines is due overwhelmingly to other factors.

Apologies.
Should use "scoop" instead of "squirted".
Too technical for some, so thus best summarised!

Yes. I do know that evos and scoobies engines are different in many ways.
If you can lay your hands on the 2.2L closed deck for the subaru, the evo's engine will come in 2nd.

No disrespect or offense intended, but while summary is fine, it still has to be a true in order to be valid.

Nearly all the oil is scraped off the wall by the rings, leaving only a little on the bore surface. Nothing is scraped or scooped into the ring-wall interface.

Yes, understood.
Thanks for the headsup.

But someting still puzzles me....why the long first service interval of 25k KM?
My old man's e65 only serviced 1 yr after he got the barge.....

caySman;214210 said:
An amusing letter sent to Car & Driver this month's issue - his new BMW did not have a dipstick. And the sensor was not helpful as it gave intermitent results. Sent in the BMW to the service centre and the service tech told him that the internal sensors were inaccurate for the moment, and the only way to find out whether there was enough oil or not was to put the BMW on a rack, drain the oil, measure it, then fill the oil again.

you gotta be kidding ... all this because they wanted to remove the proven "dipstick" ? sometimes too smart for their own good i guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88tvnet
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back