Engine Oil temperature too high?

Eugenths

Hi guys, i bought a F30 model, 316i sport a few months back in December. Everything was fine until 3 days ago, just a short drive of 15 minutes, my engine oil temperature shoot up from 70 to 120, to the point where the " engine oil temperature too high, please drive moderately' warning came up. So i slowed down then the warning disappear. Drove to a petrol station and i realize i was out of coolant, so i went to top up slightly above the middle mark. Then i drove home.

The next day, i check my coolant and it was below the middle mark already. But nvm i continued to monitor, realize my engine oil temperature didnt increase that fast, but none the less still increasing faster than usual.

So i decided to go to workshop today and have the mechanics to take a look, they found no leakage whatsoever, but ask me to change water pump and thermostat as they said these could be contributive factors to why my engine oil is increasing. I didnt change it yet though as i feel that it might not solve the problem...

So right now my engine oil temperature usually goes up to about 100-110 degrees as seen in the photo after driving for about 10-15 minutes. I would like to ask all bros out there if is this normal? I tried and tested, now it usually hovers around 100-110 degrees, but never hit 120 degrees yet. Should i be worried? And what is the normal engine oil temperature?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-23 at 1.34.08 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-23 at 1.34.08 PM.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 5,577
Hi guys, i bought a F30 model, 316i sport a few months back in December. Everything was fine until 3 days ago, just a short drive of 15 minutes, my engine oil temperature shoot up from 70 to 120, to the point where the " engine oil temperature too high, please drive moderately' warning came up. So i slowed down then the warning disappear. Drove to a petrol station and i realize i was out of coolant, so i went to top up slightly above the middle mark. Then i drove home.

The next day, i check my coolant and it was below the middle mark already. But nvm i continued to monitor, realize my engine oil temperature didnt increase that fast, but none the less still increasing faster than usual.

So i decided to go to workshop today and have the mechanics to take a look, they found no leakage whatsoever, but ask me to change water pump and thermostat as they said these could be contributive factors to why my engine oil is increasing. I didnt change it yet though as i feel that it might not solve the problem...

So right now my engine oil temperature usually goes up to about 100-110 degrees as seen in the photo after driving for about 10-15 minutes. I would like to ask all bros out there if is this normal? I tried and tested, now it usually hovers around 100-110 degrees, but never hit 120 degrees yet. Should i be worried? And what is the normal engine oil temperature?

Thanks!

Normal for N13 engine..

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Really need to monitor your coolant level. Top up to max, and after driving you check its below half, then there is definitely some leak somewhere. If it takes weeks to drop to half, its normal, but only after 1 day sounds suspicious.

Hope your mechanic had checked it while the engine is running. My previous ride had a worn seal at the coolant cap, and the coolant was escaping from there.

The N13 316i has this problem with the radiator piping. You should do a pressure test then you can tell which pipe is leaking. Mine leaked within 2 years and it was slow leak but when the pressure test was done, the part failed miserably. I had the OLED M Performance steering so the oil temp is typically between 114-118 deg C. When I used Motul racing oil 300V, the oil temp was down 1-2 deg C. You are losing too much coolant too fast so there is surely a leak somewhere. Look for greenish signs as the BMW coolant is greenish in color. I also had to change some piping seal on the turbo side when some greenish residue appeared. These are cheap and relatively easy to replace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xoilacmoe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back