Engine rattle around 1,500 rpm under load

Re: Engine rattle around 1,500 rpm under load

Seems like noise has started to go away... I can't really hear now. Not sure if it is air con or what. When I turn off the air con, the engine is much smoother and I hear less noise.

Anyway performance is starting to improve a bit - maybe due to cold weather?

Hi all bros,

i bought my 2007 323i as pre-owned car, so when i took over the car, already has the similar problem. My car will vibrate badly during drive off with rpm under 1500rpm after cold start. the vibration will go off after travelling for 5mins.
Recently i solve this problem by changing the engine and transmission mounts at BOSS.
Nw that car feels like new car.

detach8;708631 said:
Seems like noise has started to go away... I can't really hear now. Not sure if it is air con or what. When I turn off the air con, the engine is much smoother and I hear less noise.

Anyway performance is starting to improve a bit - maybe due to cold weather?

Air-con always adds load to the engine (A/C compressor driven by pulleys), so when there is less stress on the engine, it will run smoother. That is why in some cars, the A/C compressor is always disabled at low RPMs and is only allowed to kick back in when the RPM goes up (when the engine is putting out more power/torque).

doesnt that suck? means when i'm in idle i have no aircon...

detach8;709476 said:
doesnt that suck? means when i'm in idle i have no aircon...

Sorry, I mean during acceleration and low RPMs (they sense the gas pedal)

i tink i hv similar rattle but i thot it was more like car caught in wrong gear... juz hv to whack rpm past 2000rpm and is ok

arowana1;747570 said:
i tink i hv similar rattle but i thot it was more like car caught in wrong gear... juz hv to whack rpm past 2000rpm and is ok

Especially when the engine is cold? rpm up and down?

More like when warm

james - any idea how we can change the afr? i suspected too lean as well... but can't really tell...

Guys, I have finally got to the bottom of this. I have gotten myself a BMW diagnostic cable and been putting together some software (see my other thread on this topic). The software is choppy at best but I managed to reset the transmission adaptations incl. torque converter lock-up clutch adaptions and this has actually fixed the issue that seems like an engine-related issue initially.

My TC lockup used to occur at around 1,400-1,500 rpm and when trying to pull away this loads the engine too much at low speeds causing detonation (spark knock).

The advantage of automatics vs manuals is that the transmission can actually deliver more power to the wheel than the engine produces because of the way the torque converter works. The TC allows the engine to rev without actually turning the wheel faster because it's working with fluids. This however results in fuel economy losses hence TC lockup was created. (Any mechanics here, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

You can test your TC lockup by just getting off your foot at low revs (1,500-2,000 rpms) and then suddenly getting on the gas again - just enough so that the transmission does not downshift. If your revs stayed the same but you feel the engine purr, your TC has locked up. If your revs went up, then the TC has NOT locked up.

Giving more foot pressure makes the gear down shift, but when TC lockup occurs too early the gear takes a long time to shift due to the transmission trying to rev match on the new gear speed; hence you feel the engine revving on its own in-between gearshifts.

After I reset the adaptions my TC lockup now seems to occur at around 1,800 rpm and this has reduced, or I dare say almost completely stopped the rattle/detonation.

When giving more foot pressure the downshifts also happen quicker since I notice whenever it downshifts the transmission tries to match the rpm at 2,000-2,100 so the transition from 1,800 to 2,000 rpm is quicker than from 1,500 to 2,000 rpm.

I am pleased to have equipped myself with a valuable tool. This problem has been very difficult to resolve and I have even mentioned this to MA although I did not pursue because it is seriously very difficult to describe. To me, it just felt like a BMW shouldn't drive like this!

MA or PML might not do a reset even upon your request because BMW specifically advised that adaptations should not be reset unless there's a major software or hardware change.

I would like to disclaim myself here that if you car is relatively old you should not perform these resets yourself either. The re-learning process may put stress on an old transmission. My car is relatively new (under 1 year).

I hope this is informative for bros here who feel their 6AT gearbox are lethargic.

P.S. The put the key in, press start, hold throttle, etc. method did NOT work. Resetting TC lockup adaptations *needs* a computer tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

wow ... sibei steady ... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

I do have this issue but after Mechatronic replacement, its better now.

Thanks for sharing ~~ :)

bro tomace, how many kms on your ride?

Wow that sucks, that's very early on... how did you diagnose/find out?

detach8;778364 said:
Wow that sucks, that's very early on... how did you diagnose/find out?

idrive prompts me on19.10.2011 = Transmission error. Pop by BOSS e next day to check & stated solonide B faulty (dunno wats tat), went MA (as usual PML super busy & nobody free to even chat with me) & dyno Mechatronic faulty.

Did adaptation, follows by software upgrade on 28.10.2011. All went smooth until 07.01.2012! idrive prompts again... Went to MA again & schedule to replace on 10.01.2012 but salar parts!! (Mechatronic ment for GM & mine is ZF) On 03.02.2012 FInally replaced! also replace rear differential oil too..

Till now okie (hopefully) :eek:

Cheers ~~ :)

Wah so 30,000km and tranny failed... sounds bad. Kena sour lemon? Hope mine is not a sour lemon!

And you have a ZF! Good for you!

detach8;779005 said:
Wah so 30,000km and tranny failed... sounds bad. Kena sour lemon? Hope mine is not a sour lemon!

And you have a ZF! Good for you!

Not too sure about lemon but was sluggish since day 1. They told me tat E90 LCI with idrives comes with ZF, LCI non idrive comes with GM. :eek:

My thot is better kaput early than after warranty.. Abit troublesome but at least pocket will not feel light.

Cheers ~~ :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mb66ist
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back