engine shuddering

initialr

Just came back from a 1.5 week holiday. Wanted to drive the car out this evening and the engine was shuddering like it had shivers!

decided to wait and let the car warm up but after 10 - 15 mins, the shuddering still persisted and became worse when the aircon was turned on. No CELs at all...

Sighs.. It was working fine just before i left. I drive a E90 323i with about 80k in mileage.

Any advise? of possible problems?

Re: engine shuddering

dun think its anything serious.....try to floor it and go for a quick run on the expressway
think your car just quirky, not getting enough airflow in after resting for the week+...haha

Could be mis-firing due to faulty spark plug & ignition coil.
Better send to workshop to diagnose.

misfire should throw up CEL

yea let the engine oil lube around abit... if it is really rough just stop the car, but if it is a little wobbly, let it warm up further.. or do a small round around the neighbourhood

detach8;721555 said:
misfire should throw up CEL

yea let the engine oil lube around abit... if it is really rough just stop the car, but if it is a little wobbly, let it warm up further.. or do a small round around the neighbourhood

Yes, agreed that CEL should light up if misfire!
Experienced the same last week but no CEL after circling around for good 15mins.
Eventually went to BOSS and diagnosed as misfiring.

I suppose TS can try to warm-up engine and if still "shiver" then quickly send to workshop.
Think may be the rainy weather! ;)

sszone;721548 said:
dun think its anything serious.....try to floor it and go for a quick run on the expressway
think your car just quirky, not getting enough airflow in after resting for the week+...haha
Agrees. After car is warm up, gun it on PIE end to end.

Thanks guys for the advise. Drove to work but didn't gun the engine. If anyone drove a boxer engine before, it sure sounds and feels like one.

Will drive to the workshop later.

Best is don't leave car unattended if you're going to be away for long time or holidays.
Just let the bros here know and I'm sure we'll help keep the engine running! :laughing:

initialr;721791 said:
Thanks guys for the advise. Drove to work but didn't gun the engine. If anyone drove a boxer engine before, it sure sounds and feels like one.

Will drive to the workshop later.

Should be something to do with the fuel or ignition. Check the ignition coil or spark plug. I had this problem before on my E46 and end up is one of the coil uplorry.

6888;721792 said:
Best is don't leave car unattended if you're going to be away for long time or holidays.
Just let the bros here know and I'm sure we'll help keep the engine running! :laughing:

:laughlik: Never thought a BMW would be like that... but it kind of "exceeded" my expectations...

Forgot to ask... if its really ignition coil etc, anyone knows the rough damage? want to be mentally prepared rather than :ultrasho:

initialr;721885 said:
Forgot to ask... if its really ignition coil etc, anyone knows the rough damage? want to be mentally prepared rather than :ultrasho:

I replaced 6 spark plugs & 1 ignition coil (lucky only 1 spoilt) with labour GST all in around 300.
Chop chop one hour work by the skillful & excellent service of BOSS. Look for Nic or John!
They can diagnose quite quickly using OBD kit.

diagnosed as ignition coil pack 4 failure... tx to all bros for the contributions. Car's driving fine now

initialr;722406 said:
diagnosed as ignition coil pack 4 failure... tx to all bros for the contributions. Car's driving fine now

Bro, u mean replaced 4 coils ?? mine PM whats the damage like....???

If 4 coil all down at the same time IL4 engine will not start, IL6 still have 2 cylinders firing

Red_Bean_Bun;916992 said:
Replaced coil no. 4 not 4 of the coils.

canuck78;917029 said:
If 4 coil all down at the same time IL4 engine will not start, IL6 still have 2 cylinders firing

Then the 6 cylinder engine will shudder and jerk worst than a 30yr old farm tractor if only 2 cylinders firing
I guess you will not be able to drive the car out from its parking lot

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bittcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back