Engine stalled on NS Highway...

marky

Wondering any guys had engine stalled while driving Msia Highway.
I m driving E90 abt 2yrs old. Was travelling @ 150kmh & I wanted to overtake a car in front.(i was in S mode) Step it hard & suddendly Engine Stalled! At back was a big bus coming , Lucky for me i managed to signal & 'drift' slowing to the left shoulder as no more power.
Took out the key from ign , take out manual read & 10mins later restarted lucky still can.
Came back went to PML complain. SA told me this is the manufacturers idea to 'cut engine' when rpm too high. I was wondering if this is true, bcos i tink BMWs engine should be able to withstand high rev & to 'cut engine' when overtaking?.... anyone can advise?

Re: Engine stalled on NS Highway...

marky;384590 said:
SA told me this is the manufacturers idea to 'cut engine' when rpm too high. I was wondering if this is true, bcos i tink BMWs engine should be able to withstand high rev & to 'cut engine' when overtaking?.... anyone can advise?

That is typical BS from PML again or a SA trying to smoke you ( yet again?).

There should be a limit on speed ( I think something like 220 or 240 kph) maintained by the ECU and there should also be a RPM limit for the engine ( like at around what you tachometer show as max ). In both case the engine should be limited to that max and not go beyond the limit by too much.

If the engine stall on you at that speed, it is more likely a ECU problem.

Heard about a ECU shut down problem with the E60 when it first came out but not sure if there is a similar problem with the E90.

marky;384590 said:
SA told me this is the manufacturers idea to 'cut engine' when rpm too high. I was wondering if this is true, bcos i tink BMWs engine should be able to withstand high rev & to 'cut engine' when overtaking?.... anyone can advise?

NO SUCH THING!

Engine cuts fuel at high rpm to limit revs, but the engine goes on working as injectors pump again after that.

Your problem is dangerous. They MUST find you an answer otherwise engine swap please.

If they do not give you a proper answer, nor an engine swap, inform them that you would lodge a report with your insurance agency. If there is any accident involving your car because of the engine cut out, your insurance company will be able to have a case against BMW or PML, with or without you.

i had a similar problem with my suzuki swift gti that i had many years ago. fortunately, my swift had manual transmission and i could re-start its engine by 'push strating' it, i.e. de-clutch and re-clutch of fifth gear. with automatic transmission, i think it is impossible.

perhaps you should sent your car for a dyno and run it fast like on the NS Highway to see if the problem recur.

PLEASE EXPOSE THE NAME OF THE CSA

most prob is ECU problem.. do you have sprint booster installed? that can cause as well..

the engine stalled as in totally dead... or its a powercut and error msg came out and u cannot move... but car is technically still ON?

haha. engine cut if RPM too high?

*smoke screen form.

question: is the car stock or is it modded? (especially on the ECU side.)

it's quite uncommon for a 2 year old car to stall while running. no misfiring? no chocking? first time? or it has happened before? (in idle perhaps?)

I believe it should be a power cut... not stalling of the engine... its just ridiculous to have this issue.

Bullshit....if it reaches max rpm, it will automatically upshift to next gear and not stall. Quick question....how much fuel did u have when u were overtaking ?

marky;384590 said:
SA told me this is the manufacturers idea to 'cut engine' when rpm too high.

We're lucky to have PML explaining stuff. I always thought "cut engine" means having the engine block in two pieces. Like watermelons.

Please tell us who the SA is.

I ALSO TOUGHT ENGINE STALL IS SELL ENGINE TO PPLE 1

Firstly , my key is still in slot, as stepping on , yellow engine light came up , rpm drops & cut off all power.
I did installed a Unichip. I did have a sprint booster by a reputable local bmw repair shop, installed by the boss himself & tat was quite some time ago....To be sure abt wat the SA told me, I brought it to ST power & told the guy to ram it hard on Dyno test . Technician did went to 5500rpm & i told him to step on , he ask me can tahan or not?Went to abt 6000rpm, engine didnt stall. LL , Dunno wat to say, pay $70 take the dyno result go home.
I have to say ,other than tat 'cut' incident , my engine is perfect, no jerks, lost power, or watsoever.
The cina SA from Bt Timah, skinny guy duuno name.... BTW i had since been servicing outside, screw the warranty!

marky;384721 said:
Firstly , my key is still in slot, as stepping on , yellow engine light came up , rpm drops & cut off all power.
I did installed a Unichip. I did have a sprint booster by a reputable local bmw repair shop, installed by the boss himself & tat was quite some time ago....To be sure abt wat the SA told me, I brought it to ST power & told the guy to ram it hard on Dyno test . Technician did went to 5500rpm & i told him to step on , he ask me can tahan or not?Went to abt 6000rpm, engine didnt stall. LL , Dunno wat to say, pay $70 take the dyno result go home.
I have to say ,other than tat 'cut' incident , my engine is perfect, no jerks, lost power, or watsoever.
The cina SA from Bt Timah, skinny guy duuno name.... BTW i had since been servicing outside, screw the warranty!

Heng ah.......... confirmed not done by me.......... :)
** U sure is ur engine light??? I think it might be the gearbox light......

its confirmed the unichip + sprint booster combo is the one making the problem..

i bet you the thing came on when u step on the accelerator pedal until the 'click' right?

try flooring ur car to the click a few times... from about 40-60kmh... see if it comes again....

btw..who is the CSA? bullshit of the year

marky;384721 said:

try to re-create the situation when you had the shutdown.

ie: 150kph. similar temp, aircon on/off, in which gear, normal/S mode etc.

if it's a problem, it will surface again.

Wats yr dyno result?Unichip hp better than stock hp?

Yr Check Engine Light is definitely due to the Unichip. Happens when u meddle with the ecu too much. it senses some disparity and shuts down some cylinders..

Solution: restart and go again.

marky;384721 said:

hetraa;385059 said:
Wats yr dyno result?Unichip hp better than stock hp?

Yr Check Engine Light is definitely due to the Unichip. Happens when u meddle with the ecu too much. it senses some disparity and shuts down some cylinders..

Solution: restart and go again.

Dun be so sure.......... it depends on wer and who that tuned & install for you... :nehnehhh:
I haven encountered this problem before........:laughlik: :laughlik:

im sure the tuning caused the CEL...
yes depends on whos tune for him...

not your side one la....yr tuning so far so good rite? any dyno charts?

milk15;385063 said:
Dun be so sure.......... it depends on wer and who that tuned & install for you... :nehnehhh:
I haven encountered this problem before........:laughlik: :laughlik:

hetraa;385070 said:
im sure the tuning caused the CEL...
yes depends on whos tune for him...

not your side one la....yr tuning so far so good rite? any dyno charts?

:laughlik: :laughlik: :laughlik: :laughlik: my tuner doing road tuned....... so if want dyno charts... owner have to fork out their own money for it........... :yikess:

luckily i havent thought about messing around with ECU related mod yet!

there's even a guy in KL offering a 3.0L stroker kit for N52. the power output after the mod is around 272bhp....sounds really good, rite? i think this 'stroker kit mod' required ECU to be reflashed as well, but dunno the reliability...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back