Experience with Spacers

Re: Experience with Spacers

snowmanyee;831778 said:
Hmm... funny. I wonder why Spacers contribute to the bumpiness. It shouldn't affect your ride quality theoretically unless your changed your rims and tyre profile or lower your car. You should feel more stable with spacers on since it jut out the rims...
:roll:
yes spacer does contribute to bumpiness is the thickness is BIG(off set changed)
exp if your current rim offset is 15mm and add in a 25mm spacer your really offset changed to -10 in another word your rim is pushout
by 25mm (50mm for both end) does also feel the steering heavier.
bumpiness affect by rim dia (tyre profile changed) /width/ rim offset

The more it's pushed out the softer the suspension becomes due to the increased length from the pivot ....... Good thing is that it reduces weight transfer during corners - cornering more stable ......

Use of spacers is more for asethestics purposes than anything else. Car will look swee swee when wheels are royal flushed with the wheel arch.

If u spot most of the maserati grandturismos on the road, they look funny especially from the rear with "sunken in" stock wheels.

Lots of GTRs running on proper spacers..

i am using 15mm for my front 20 inch breyton rim.... around SGD360+ per piece

Anyone with experience on Spacers fitted on F10(528i) configured with M5 20" rim?

original M5 and replica M5 rim width and offset is already very aggresive for f10 non M
still need spacer?

Dlim318;1032068 said:
Anyone with experience on Spacers fitted on F10(528i) configured with M5 20" rim?

Dlim318;1032068 said:

wt_know;1032141 said:
original M5 and replica M5 rim width and offset is already very aggresive for f10 non M
still need spacer?

You want your rim to be protruding out from the fender ?

Only advice is make sure you know what you're doing with spacers - reputable model. You're putting load on these babies so be careful. Personally not into spacers, rather get the correct offet and width on the rims especially if you want the look. Some people just anyhow add spacers without proper consideration on handling, fenders & suspension.

It's also becos of the M5 kit fender which makes the front tyres (245 instead 265) more inward looking rather then flushed....hence exploring spacer to push out the front wheels to be flushed with the M5 aero kit.

Dlim318;1032206 said:
It's also becos of the M5 kit fender which makes the front tyres (245 instead 265) more inward looking rather then flushed....hence exploring spacer to push out the front wheels to be flushed with the M5 aero kit.

I think the rim offset match your car's.
If you add spacer to your front wheel then the offset will be out then you will have weird steering wheel and wheel may rub against fender's plastic liner when you turn the steering full lock.

I never have luck with spacers be it on previous or current cars. I tried different brands of spacers, had them custom machined, trial and error fittings but always had vibrations from the front. I could be the problem, psychological problem that I am feeling vibrations through the steering. Nowadays i go for custom ordered rims for a nice looking offset. Much lesser worries. Sometimes we like certain rim designs but it does not come in the offset for a good nice fit and we consider options like spacers to try and make it work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, you can try but for me I won't.

So far I only know of one machine shop that makes spacers without causing vibrations. Leong seng uses the same machine shop. Feel free to PM me for details if required. On a side note, on the same car, eibach and hnr caused high speed vibrations despite having hub centric lip.

Get the spacers made by Tuner Motorsports (USA), you will not have any regrets!!!

My 2 cents.

Spacers affect suspension geometry. Definitely it will change how your ride feel. Steering feel will also change.

It affects spring rate, damping rate and for front axle also scrub radius.

Gotta ask the rationale for using spacers - to rectify a wheel with a wrong/conservative offset? Or ?

kenntona;1034033 said:
Gotta ask the rationale for using spacers - to rectify a wheel with a wrong/conservative offset? Or ?

Really depends, for the most part it's for aesthetics.

But also applies for:-

i) rectify wheel offsets like you mentioned

ii) clear bbk/ suspension components

iii) increase track width ( improve handling & optimize rolling) - in the case of racecars

I've ran 15/12mm eibach spacers and have no issues with them. Go for reputable brands such as eibach , h&r, macht schnell

Also pay attention on whether the part number is meant for your car as a snug fitment is very important. And you'll need extended lug bolts that correspond to the spacer widths

After reading this thread, butt got itchy and installed yesterday...

Reason for installing ?? As bro jaydm says, its mainly for aesthetics... :shakebon:

monitoring the steering feel if any differences with stock ...

cheers...

my POV any mod will have gain and lost.
If you assumed every single part of your car is Perfect with Good quality spacer and properly installed of course with Quality wheel too , I will said NO problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamefa88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back