f10 Brake Pad replacement

SSDD1

Hi all
I sent my F10 for battery replacement, the workshop found that both front n rear brake pads need to be replaced as well. The measurement showed 3.5mm n 4.5mm thickness left even though the Vehicle infos showed 8k n 12k left to go. The work shop said that both rotors need to replaced as well due to uneven wear from the worn pads. I have to replaced both in the end. Just checking if this make sense as the rotor damaged could have been avoided if I don't rely on the vehicle sensor check mileage of the brake pads.

Any comments welcome.

Re: f10 Brake Pad replacement

Is this your first time changing? Both front rear together is not normal if first time. Normally the rear finish first, then the front, then rotor. Unless you're not aware of the car history.

New or used?

Porky89;1119988 said:
Is this your first time changing? Both front rear together is not normal if first time. Normally the rear finish first, then the front, then rotor. Unless you're not aware of the car history.

New or used?

I got the F10 from new. The first replacement of rear wa done once by PML. This is the second time for rear brake n first fir front brake.

Then it's about time. Normally agent will want you to change earlier as they need to make money from you since you're under warranty.

Porky89;1120003 said:
Then it's about time. Normally agent will want you to change earlier as they need to make money from you since you're under warranty.

Yes, the first replacement was done much earlier. The second time both rotor had to be replaced which is terrible. Could have saved it if the Idrive information is accurate. I hope the work shop did not pull a fast one on me.

Usually the front rotors have to be replaced whenever the pad finishes.
Rear rotors usually can last 2x pad life.

So, i would rather you use to the max as per your iDrive counter.

Jason8822;1120017 said:
Usually the front rotors have to be replaced whenever the pad finishes.
Rear rotors usually can last 2x pad life.

So, i would rather you use to the max as per your iDrive counter.

Thanks for the feedback. At least the work shop did not pull a fast one on me.

bro... do a visual inspection on both ur rotors and pads...
you can see how much its left...

the computer warning / i drive is based on an estimation only...

tell tale signs for brake pad... (if you are using original , not the OEM ceramic type / racing pads etc)
there is a slight pump when u depress the brakes (nothing to do with brake hose)
you need to pay attention to the brakes..

or the easier method
u hear streetching sound frequently
do a visual inspection on the brake pads and rotor,
for rotors, u can touch and feel the depression.

OEM pads (racing especially), occasionally will have that streetching sound.

old school method, pretty useful though...
fyi, i used to drive lorry for couple of years... learn from old birds..

Eng Soon recommended Hella Brake Pads..... so far my experience very bad. Squealing sound very bad and I'm only into my 2nd week.

Does anyone have any other experiences to share? Do you guys use BMW original brake pads?

The Hella Pagids are like the worst brake pads I've ever used..... I'm getting it changed back to originals...

Already bed in and past 1000km

Last edited:
I changed back to BMW original pads and just to be make sure no more Eeeeeee Eeeeeee sound, changed the rotors as well....

Back to silent braking with good bite! So happy!

Eng Soon recommended Hella Brake Pads..... so far my experience very bad. Squealing sound very bad and I'm only into my 2nd week.

Does anyone have any other experiences to share? Do you guys use BMW original brake pads?

Did you bed in the pads ?

Yes I did.... its quite dangerous actually.... I tried during normal driving and freaked out other drivers so I did it past midnight at PIE...

Ramped up to 100km/h... hard brake down to 20km/h.... immediately accelerated up again and repeat a few times... if u do this you will realized even slow vehicles catch up very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then I cooled down the brakes cruising before stopping entirely...

I repeated this on 2 separate weekends and drove the pads till 1000km and still Eeeeeeee Eeeeeee sound.

Most people don't purposely break-in also no such problems Lor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much difference is it between the original BMW versus Hella brake pads? Is Goldenlink still a BMW stockist?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuwinbet
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back