F30 316i normal/cruising oil temp

aloysiuschia

Noticed my oil temp will be around 120 after travelling for 20 to 25km.

I remember correctly, it used to be about the 90 to 100 range even travelling for the whole day.

Only mod I did is change bbk and noticed this.

Any bro can advise?

Cheers

Re: F30 316i normal/cruising oil temp

If you are on eco mode, temp tends to be lower, similar to having stop-start instead of deactivating. However, when I cruise in normal or sports, temp easily maintain at 120 but never exceed.

In sports mode temp shld come down instead...stated in the manual...something might be wrong if ur temp goes up in sports mode

topfuel;1129522 said:
In sports mode temp shld come down instead...stated in the manual...something might be wrong if ur temp goes up in sports mode

Oh? I didn't know that, in that case, need to let them know when I send for first service.

topfuel;1129522 said:
In sports mode rpm is high and and engine oil temp wl be high. Eco mode oil temp wl be low.

Quoted

"The cooling system is electronically controlled. It's designed to run cooler when there's higher loads on the engine (i.e. spirited driving, or stop and go in the OP's case) for better performance. When there's a light load (e.g. steady state highway cruising) the temp goes up for better fuel economy"

topfuel;1129566 said:
Quoted

"The cooling system is electronically controlled. It's designed to run cooler when there's higher loads on the engine (i.e. spirited driving, or stop and go in the OP's case) for better performance. When there's a light load (e.g. steady state highway cruising) the temp goes up for better fuel economy"

I was doing sports mode on highway and if I WOT a few times, oil temp seems to drop a tad below 120. However, leaving it in sports (didn't bother to change), I started cruising for the next 45 mins and yes, the temp did inch up to 120. Maybe this has something to do with, running lean (injecting less fuel during cruising) and rich (injecting more fuel when WOT) results in different temp (controlled electronically)? Fuel has a cooling effect on engine.

Do the basics - check your coolant level first ... when the engine is cold.

palin;1129568 said:
I was doing sports mode on highway and if I WOT a few times, oil temp seems to drop a tad below 120. However, leaving it in sports (didn't bother to change), I started cruising for the next 45 mins and yes, the temp did inch up to 120. Maybe this has something to do with, running lean (injecting less fuel during cruising) and rich (injecting more fuel when WOT) results in different temp (controlled electronically)? Fuel has a cooling effect on engine.
Tks. I did nt knw that bmw oil temp is controlled electrnly. Tks for that info. U r right. Bms purpose of doing it to help run lean/rich whenever necessary to optimise fc. Mine is e90 320 2006 model. i Dont thnk mine is equipped with that technology. Hw do u all read engine temp?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benno;1129599 said:
Tks. I did nt knw that bmw oil temp is controlled electrnly. Tks for that info. U r right. Bms purpose of doing it to help run lean/rich whenever necessary to optimise fc. Mine is e90 320 2006 model. i Dont thnk mine is equipped with that technology. Hw do u all read engine temp?

There's a oil temp gauge on dashboard where the middle mark is 120 degrees

Benno;1129599 said:

An FOC method - You could access the secret menu on the instrument cluster to read your engine temp. Get your vin number and add the last 6 digits.

Press the day trip button on your odo for 10 secs and then goto menu 19. Use your vin number total as the passcode. This will get you into the menu and you can select engine temp from there.....

Benno;1129599 said:

An FOC method - You could access the secret menu on the instrument cluster to read your engine temp. Get your vin number and add the last 6 digits.

Press the day trip button on your odo for 10 secs and then goto menu 19. Use your vin number total as the passcode. This will get you into the menu and you can select engine temp from there.....

palin;1129568 said:

Quite true ...

In sports mode the revs are generally higher so temps would creep up. Post wot the water pump and fan should be operating harder.

The n13 adapts the AFR to a limited extent so don't expect much there (to run that rich to cool) but fuel is cooling.

At wot, it may go into spool mode so depending on how the spooling is setup (spool exit point, load and some other factors like the AFR / timings) temp would be affected as well ....

Will changing coolant help keep the temp lower? As i understand that those cylinder ports are cooled by coolant.
I remember that during my 1st 1 1/2yrs driving my F30, temp hardly go above 90C. Now, as long as drive for 15mins.. it will be slightly above 90 marker (probably @ 110C).

Williammm;1129653 said:
Will changing coolant help keep the temp lower? As i understand that those cylinder ports are cooled by coolant.
I remember that during my 1st 1 1/2yrs driving my F30, temp hardly go above 90C. Now, as long as drive for 15mins.. it will be slightly above 90 marker (probably @ 110C).

You should check the quality first - test the presence of ethylene glycol. It should be 50%. Distilled water for the other 50%.

And if ethylene glycol falls below what is typically required and a flush is considered - use coolants that is based on the g48 standards (not g11).

guys

just would like to know, is it normal ticking noise from the engine?

I do get a tick tick sound from the dashboard. Initially, when the start-stop cut-off did not set in (you will see the start-stop function with a slash over it coming on in dashboard) when I stop at traffic lights due to insufficient electricity to allow engine cut-off, there will be this sound. After I started moving off, it will disappear. But now, even when driving, this sound may be there, feels like some small thing hitting the back of the iDrive. However, if I off the start-stop thingy, then this sound will not surface. Strange?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taixiugo88club
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back